It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Question about Clonodine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For those of you who have used this medicine to help with detox...exactly what symptoms does it help? My main issues during withdrawal are muscle pain, deep aches in legs and low back, restless limbs, intestinal problems (Immodium usually takes care of this), sleeplessness, hot/cold flashes, and tension/anxiety.

I have read that alot of people think it helps alot but I don't really get how a blood pressure medicine would help these symptoms. Also, I tend to have low blood pressure normaly (but within normal range) , will this exclude me from taking the medicine?

Thanks alot!

Post subject: A MESSAGE FROM SLIPPER
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

HI...
I have taken clonodine for years for high blood pressure...but it has a relaxing effect in it..kind of like an anxiety pill.
It may not stop your pain...but if you take it and lie down it will make you sleeply and feel relaxed...
But first and foremost it is for blood pressure and will drop it quickly...so you must watch that..not to take too much
to bottom out your pressure....they give this drug a lot in treatment centers. I take .2mg 3 times a day...so you can
see where i am on my blood pressure being high...but it is a good drug and i don't thing a small amount of it would
hurt you and just might make you feel better....
hope this helps...

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Clonidine works by modulating your sympathetic nervous system. The SNS is where we get the "flight or fight" response. During withdrawal (or any stress, really) Norepinepherine (a neurotransmitter, aka adrenaline) is released. This is what raises your blood pressure, gives you anxiety, sweating, etc. Basically panic mode.

So, clonidine binds to receptors in your nervous system and blocks the norepinepherine. Thus, blood pressure is lowered, but also sweating, anxiety, restlessness, heart rate, etc. are lessened.

It is a misconception that the symptoms of withdrawal are helped by the act of your blood pressure being lowered. Clonidine is very unique in that it affects the SNS. So, other blood pressure lowering agents like atenolol won't provide the same effect. They'll simply lower your blood pressure, but you will still have the other withdrawal symptoms.

Personally, I think clonidine will provide a HUGE relief for most of your symptoms. However, it won't affect your GI issues or pain. That is unfortunately a different pathway that has nothing to do with the SNS.

I also have very low blood pressure. I was first prescribed 0.1mg - 0.2mg every 4-6 hours. If I take anything more than 0.1mg every six hours I get unbelievable heart palpitations that are actually quite painful. That alone will give ya quite a bit of anxiety! :lol:

You do need to be careful about orthostatic hypotension. When you get up from a lying position, sit upright for a few minutes before you stand. Take it slow. I have blacked out multiple times from getting up too quickly, lost my vision, and hit the floor. But anyways, if your blood pressure is within normal range, they will prescribe it.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, just ask. And good luck!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the response ladies! It was very helpful. It seems like this would be helpful for the hot/cold flashes and the anxiety. I just hope my a**hole doctor will prescribe it. :)

Still chugging along. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

See now I am worried about it. I usually have lower BP than normal people and they gave me a script of it just incase something happens. i didnt realize that it has a relaxing effect to it, I wish that I had a script of it when I tried to go off Suboxone back last year. I wasnt mentally ready though, I still needed some treatment because the second that I got ahold of the Tramadol's I was eating them four at a time.
I did do good with LT's that Mom gave me to keep from climbing the walls, the only problem with me is that I have withdrawal symptoms kick in alot faster than what should be the normal allotted time. Example, I can take a pain pill or two say at 7pm and then by the next morning I am having slight withdrawal symptoms. This was my problem tackling addiction because within a few hours, I was getting sick so quickly.
I was really worried about the Clonidine because it was BP pill but if it works as good as yall say that it does, I aint so worried. I will just have to make sure and keep my BP up there and stay kinda active. This is however when I decide to come off Suboxone.Im guessing maybe nine months for myself. I have been on it almost 2 years now and they have been an amazing two years, I hate to honestly come off of it. If the medicine was four bucks a month, I would prolly stay on it LOL.
I congratulate you for trying it though. Please keep up the good work.