It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been receiving Suboxone treatment for almost a year coming up in September. Unfortunately my doctor who I travel over an hour each way to see advised me 2 months ago that my insurance has a limit on how long it covers Suboxone maintainance of only a year once the induction is completed. I've read your blog about this and wondered if you had ever heard anything back regarding this stupid limit. Obviously if I'm low income enough to be on Michigan Medicaid I can not continue to pay for treatment without the help of the Medicaid and am in a hard place of being forced to get off it due to this issue. My doctor has had me on 12mg during this treatment but I've managed to taper myself down to 4mg to be able to save some to continue tapering once I hit the limit on my insurance coming up in the next month. If you have any info that could be of any assistance or how I could be successful tapering please let me know. This is all overwhelming to me. Thanks for all your great work and support. It's truly appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hope the someone will come along with the answer to your question. Mine is more of a comment really, but for the reasons that you've stated about time limits on treatment, I have yet to sign up for any health insurance. I have four children and a relatively low income and I'm certain that I'd qualify for low to no cost Health insurance. However, very few drs here take state ins and if I get this insurance,legally I'll no longer be allowed to pay my doctor or my pharmacy out of pocket after the arbitrary time limit. This is a completely ridiculous predicament to be in. Buprenorphine treatment is very costly, even though I am prescribed generic mono product bupe, it still takes a huge portion of my income and sometimes help from some truly wonderful friends I've made during my recovery journey to maintain my treatment. Because I choose not to purchase insurance that will not allow me to continue my life saving and vital treatment, I am subject to pay a penalty for each month I'm without coverage. There aren't any time limits placed on treatments for other life threatening conditions, and I find it appalling that there are time limits on a treatment as effective as buprenorphine for the condition of opiate addiction, and that politicians and insurance companies get to make our important medical decisions for us, sometimes completely taking we and our doctors out of the equation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:45 pm 

It sounds like you are trying to get in touch with Dr. Junig himself. Although he keeps tabs on the forum he doesn't see every post or question. I suggest that you use this link to contact him directly: http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/contact-me/

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Do some research about suboxone assistance. There is a form you can print out from the company that manufactures suboxone. Get your doctor to sign it and send it in. It will cover up to 90 8mg films a month for one year. FREE! I did this and got mine for free but dropped the program when I got pregnant and was switched to subutex. The only thing is your doctor can only have a certain amount of patients on it at a time. Look into this. It is so much help for those that really need it and are actually serious about recovery.