It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi my friends, I just went to my doctor for a check-up and she wants me to have a colonoscopy.

She is a very nice Dr. but doesn't know much about subs. I go to a seperate Dr. for my subs. He is kind of hard to get a hold of. I see him every six months and he gives me a six month supply. I am on 8 mgs daily.

If they schedule the colonoscopy soon, I might not have time to make an appt. to see him.

Do I have to stop subs? What do you do when you have a colonoscopy? Will the drugs they give you work? I'm afraid because on my last colonoscopy(6 years ago) I woke up in the middle of it. I was not on subs but I was into my pills problem real bad.

Any advice?

Love you all, Queenie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:11 pm 

Hello Miss Queenie,
Let me say it is great that you ve been around here more often lately.

My best advice to you would be to talk with the drs who will be giving you this test. It will
give them time to research or to relieve your fears. Ill bet they have delt with others who have been on suboxone before.

From what I understand of it, depending on the dr they will put you under or in a twilight sedation. I don't believe from what ive read here that Buprenorphine would interfere with sedating. You may want to go to dr junigs Talkzone and use the search box and see what he has said about this.
Information is power and you ll find it.
Sorry i cant advise more. ..

Im sure it ll be ok Queenie. ..

Razor..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Queenie,

Idk on bup , discuss w both the GI and hopefully the anesthesiologist. Not all GI's use anesthesiologists and instead do it themselves or w a nurse anesthetist. I definitely prefer a GI that utilizes an Anesthesiologist who chooses propofol for upper scopes and colonoscopies. It seems to be a deeper sedation than conscious sedation (versed and maybe fentanyl). I too, woke up from pain and cramping during scopes but these were w conscious sedation. I've had no pain during or post w propofol. Maybe ask your GI what proceedural anesthesia is utilized... P

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Around here Versed is the go to drug for Colonoscopies. Opiates are generally not used so there would be no interference from the Suboxone, and no adjustment or changes in your dosage. Certainly let the CRNA or whomever is going to manage the sedation that you are taking Suboxone but rarely should any adjustments need to be made.
Queenie, your problem with the previous colonoscopy was not because you were on opiates, they just didn't give you enough, or frequent enough doses of Versed.
They told me I was quite the chatterbox through most of the procedure, but Versed has an amnesia effect so I remember nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:45 am 

Hi Queenie, I too have had scopes and colonoscopies with propofol and did just fine! I also had a stomach procedure done in March and had no problems at all! I met with the head of anesthesiaolgy prior to the procedure and he was wonderful. He addressed all of my questions and concerns! I do believe that honesty is the best policy! Good luck! Please keep posting so that we can keep up with yòu!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you Razor, Docm2, Michellef and Pelican. I will follow the advice you hjave given me. I will make sure to speak with the anesthesilogy first.

Boy, it's so good to know I can ask for advice and come back and my friends are right there with some suggestions. You guys are the best. I hope each and every one of you continues to do well.

I love coming home and finding my friends there. I will let you know how the colonoscopy goes.

Take care, love you all,
Queenie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:55 am 

Good luck on ur procedure queenie! My dad got a call from his doctors office yesterday telling him something showed up on a stool test and they're making him an appointment for a colonoscopy. He's about ur age. He's also a cancer survivor, so we're scared it has came bk. I read ur post soon after I'd found this out about my dad, just wanted to say good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:36 am 

Jen, I will be keeping your Dad along with Queenie, in my thoughts and prayers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:26 pm 

Thank u Michelle, I really appreciate that :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:51 pm 

Hi Queenie,

I'm glad docm2 posted early so we have a professionals opinion to start with. When I had my first, and I'm coming due for my 2nd, the nurse said she was giving me a combination of Versed and Demerol. Half first, then the other half if I needed it. That was before my Suboxone transition and I was still using Norco so I told her I had a large tolerance and to give it all to me the first time, which she did.

Just like docm2 said, the Versed wipes out your memory so you won't remember if you had pain or not. If they use Jackson Juice (Proprofol), you'll be out like a light and won't remember anything from that either so I wouldn't worry about it. But I am glad you brought it up and do tell your doctor about the Suboxone.

Every human being should get their first colonoscopy at 50 years old. Earlier if you have family history. Then have one every 10 years thereafter. My wife has to get one every 5 because her mother died of colon cancer. I'm due next year as I waited until I was 53 to have my first one. My best friend died from it at age 53. The test might have saved him, or maybe it still would have been too late. We'll never know. Most folks don't do it at 50. (yes, I know you're older) Good for you for being proactive.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rule and all my other grandchildren here. I love you all.

I haven't had my colonoscopy yet but I got it straightgened out with my Dr.

jenn jenn, I will keep your dad in my prayers. Has he had the colonoscopy already? I hope it was fine. My dad died of colon cancer so I know how you feel, believe me.

Let me know what happened.

Well, I hope you are all doing well. You know I love you guys so much. I will check in periodically, I promise. In the meantime, take care of yourselves, Michelle, docm2, Razor and all of you here.

Hugs and kisses, Queenie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:31 am 

Hi Queenie,

Unfortunately my dad decided to not do the colonoscopy. He said that he's been through cancer and chemotherapy once and at his age wouldn't do it again IF the cancer were to have returned. Of course something 'showing up' doesn't necessarily mean his cancer is bk, he's had something 'show up' before and it wasn't anything major. So out of respect to him, I understand his choice plus he's extremely stubborn and wouldn't matter what I said anyway lol. So I'll pray for the best and leave it in God's hands.

Thank you for asking Queenie! Very glad ur a part of this forum! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:36 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I had a failed attempt at a colonoscopy 10 years ago. I had a sigmoidoscopy years earlier with no sedation or problems so I was surprised at how painful this aborted procedure was. They used versed and fentanyl. It was very painful even though they gave me extra medicine when I complained. I remembered everything and have been dreading needing to have another one.
This year I had a colonoscopy done with propofol. Was asleep and felt no pain. Got a good report and never need to have another one due to my age.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:12 pm 

My first procedure was the sigmoid in my 30's for what reason I can't remember but I know I was still drinking and using so it was probably related to that.

The doctor outright lied to me and said it wouln't hurt at all. Never had I felt so much pain during that procedure. I wanted to stand up and slug them all.

Now I'm coming due for 2nd colonoscopy but no worries there. Once I tell them I'm on Suboxone ahead of time they should be able to just give me proprofal & versed. I did read somewhere that once you hit 70ish, the procedure is not kind to the body and may not be worth it. We will all decide when that day comes.

Good luck Queenie!

rule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Rule, I don't want to do it because I am afraid of feeling pain or waking up. If I'm not assured that I will be totally out, I'm not doing it. My dr. says at my age, 73, if I was going to develop colon cancer, I would have a long time ago. However, the fact that my dad died from colon cancer, makes my dr. lean towards me having one anyway. We shall see and I will let you know one way or another.

I will keep in touch, regardless. Stay well and know that I love all my grandkids here.

Hugs, Queenie