It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: quantitative Test wrong?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:21 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello Im new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so could help me.
Here is my story.
Ive been on suboxone since last November. I go to my monthly appointment and my counseling two times a month. I have never missed any appointment seeing that my doctor is over a hour and fifteen minutes away. Anyway I go in for my monthly in January and my blood pressures high. My doctor couldn't figure out why. So she did a U/A on me. She asked me how it would come out. I told her exactly how it would come out. Being the first U/a in about 3 years I have had nothing to hide. She come back into the room congratulating me. Best feeling Ive had a in a while. So I go back in Feb. She walks in and asked my how my treatments going. I tell her wonderful. She than pulls up her lab results. She sent my urine in to do a quantitative test. It come back when no parent drug and a low number of metabolites. She than accused me of selling my medication. She had me in tears, I take my medication as directed. I couldn't understand these results. I explained to her my mother has them locked in her safe and gives them to me daily and witnesses me taking my medication every day as directed. The doctor now wants my mother to come in with me at my next monthly or don't come back at all is what she said and she wants to retest me.

What could mess up the quantitative test?
for the high blood pressure its always normal the only thing I did different that day is drink a monster on the way over there. Could that have anything to do with the low numbers? I am deeply hurt over this. Please help if you can.
Thanks
-Ttown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum, ttown.

I'll take a shot at your question and concerns. I'm not trying to stick up with the doctor so much, but they are dealing with addicts on a constant basis. I'm sure they have heard every story in the book when something is not quite right. When the results of a UA come back with some concerns, they usually will not believe the patient.

I believe you when you say you did nothing wrong. I guess it's possible that monster drink could have affected the test, but I would be more inclined to think it was maybe a false-positive of sorts. Try not to take it too personal that she accused you of selling the meds. I realize that's tough to do, but try for one second to look at it from the doctors point of view.

And so what if she wants your mother to come in and explain. I would have told her I would bring my mom in to explain, and if that happens, the test is repeated, I'm sure you will be good to go again. The doctor also knows these tests are not 100% accurate ALL the time. It's very difficult to find a sub doctor for some these days. Try to do everything possible to keep your doctor at this time. I guess if this upsets you too much you could begin the search for a new doctor.

Please keep us informed how it goes. Good luck and hope this helps. :D

Karen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello there, I'm sure you are quite upset over this as I would also be, and actually have had something similar happen to me. my regular UA at dr's office showed that I had zero bupe in my system. i take my meds strictly as directed, and was also in tears when my Dr. accused me of diverting my medication. I posted about it here a while back. it was cleared up when she sent it to the lab, and those results were positive for Suboxone, but I received no apology at all. I've since changed doctors btw! my point is these tests can and sometimes are incorrect.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with Suboxone talk zone.com, but Dr. Junig, who runs this forum also runs that blog and has several very interesting, and informative articles about quantitative testing and their problems and inaccuracies and how they could happen. I really think you should read them and even possibly print them out to show your Dr. as well as bringing your mother with you to speak on behalf of your medication taking habits.... which iI find ridiculous she's making you do. As a matter of fact I'm going to look for those articles now and try to post a link to them for you. I sincerely hope you're able to get this matter straightened out, and that this will help. I know how frustrating it is to be in perfect compliance with your recovery program and be falsely accused, or have a false positive/ negative on a test. it's difficult being an addict in that respect, meaning the way the stigma causes people ti not believe you without mountains of evidence to prove your innocence, that probably wouldn't be required of a non addict suspected of non compliance with a medication regimen. we're here for you, please let us know how things turn out. here are the links

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/urine-d ... -suboxone/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/a-new-suboxdoc-in-town/

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I had my mother call them and she said shell will go with me on my next visit. I was going to ask to be retested via blood, and skip the u/a all together. That should prove my point im hoping.

Thanks for the links!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ Hopefully it will!

I had two false positive during my treatment, so those tests can certainly be wrong. We get quite a bit of people with this same story/ experience as well. For some reason, bupe doesn't always show up in the system.. or the tests are bunk. *shrugs*

You can also offer to take your dose in front of your doctor during your visits. Anyone who is not regularly on bupe would get sick from a normal dose.

Be sure to have a bit of a stock pile of subs. When I had my first false positive, my doctor wouldn't give me my refill and I didn't have any back up. Luckily I was able to get into a different doctor that day (who tested me btw, and I was negative on the same day I had the positive at the other doc's office... ) But, that could have easily not been the case. Sub docs are hard to come by and you need to always be prepared for a shit storm.

Good luck! Hopefully your mom will be of help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

glad you found the links helpful, and I really hope you get all this sorted out! I can imagine it's a pretty scary proposition, losing your sub prescriber!
I also wanted to add that we're glad to have you here and welcome you to our little forum. :-)
for myself and many others it's been a place to bring our questions about meds, concerns about recovery, frustrations of all sorts, and most of all, a real haven of support and genuine, caring, concern during happy times when things are going well, and shoulders to cry on when nothing seems to be going right, or our recovery is at risk. I'm not sure that you'd find such an atmosphere of sincere caring and friendship at other sites. I haven't. our moderators are really great about keeping out unproductive negativity and people that would bring our forum down. I hope that you'll continue to visit, and ask questions, and join discussions, and enjoy being a part of this place as much as I have. I consider it to be one of my main sources of support. People who use bupe as part of recovery sometimes have a hard time finding a group that's really supportive and understanding of the whole purpose of Suboxone in recovery. At times even our loved ones don't understand why we need you take our medication. you'll find understanding here. Also, should someone ever wish to discontinue sub, there's judgment free help to be found here for that as well.
keep us posted!