It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Put your life on hold?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So I am tapering down from suboxone now. I just went from 3 mgs to 3 mgs today, so I'm going slow. The problem is that I have a 5 year old, and I'm a single mom. Also, I have two vacations planned for November, then I don't want to be out of it for two weeks when I need to be doing the Christmas thing for my daughter. So my question is should I just continue to taper but not jump until January? It seems like such a long time, I would love to be off of it sooner. But I also don't want to fail, or be even more miserable sitting around sick from w/d and more anxious b/c I know I am not doing all the Christmas stuff I should be doing.

Everything I read seems to suggest that even with a long wean and jumping off at a low dose, I should expect to be somewhat down for nearly 2 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey freedom,

There's a big difference between being somewhat down for 2 weeks and having your ass handed to you every day for 2 weeks!! I'd go with being somewhat down for 2 weeks because even being somewhat down will let you live your life at almost 100%. Having your butt handed to you daily SUCKS!! Trust me!!

It sounds like your taper is working, I'd suggest you keep with it. Listen to your body, taper....rinse and repeat.

BTW, you ARE really taking your taper slow, you said you went from 3mg to 3mg.....that's really a SLOW taper!!! :lol: :lol:

Bottom line, the lower a dose you eventually jump from, the eaiser things will be.

Keep at it!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:54 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You know, for many people every year the holidays end up causing some things to be put on hold. The truth is that January isn't that far off. Since you seem awfully nervous about the possibility of having your discontinuation of sub interfere with your ability to take care of things between now and January, including your vacation and then the holidays, it sounds to me like a reasonable plan would be to continue your taper as slow as is comfortable for now and then make your plan for the final jump at the beginning of the new year. From all the posts I've read on this forum it seems like most people prefer a long slow taper and it also seems like people who get down to a dose of .25 or even less (and often dosing at that minimal dose LESS than once a day at the very end) find that they experience minimal or even unnoticeable WD symptoms when they make the final jump off sub. Also, it often seems like expectations can make a difference--that is, obsessing on the symptoms and worrying about the WD getting worse seems like it can actually make the symptoms worse sometimes. And the best thing is to stay busy and distracted from the WD as much as possible--and everyone swears by exercise as being the biggest help. However, all that is easy to say and not always so easy to do. I wish I knew why WD can sometimes have the effect of making it so difficult to muster the motivation to do the things that will help us.But that (problems getting motivated) seems to be a common issue that occurs with WD and with PAWS too. I guess it really may be partly because WD can cause fatigue and depression...and the way out of that often is to try to stay as active as possible--but like I said, that's easier said than done when one is in the throes of it!

I've been thinking about heading towards discontinuing sub myself. Now, in your case...3 mgs is already a pretty low dose. Personally I have found that I don't experience any noticeable physical WD symptoms at all even at as low a dose as 1 mg. Lately I usually take between 1 and 2 mgs. I DO have mental symptoms though--depression, lethargy, and great difficulty with motivation (just want to lie around all day, even though it feels terrible). And also, obsessing on WD, even though my symptoms are not very physical. When I'm like that, having dosed at less than 1 mg, I usually find that if I take a little more sub, bringing my dose for the day up to around 2 mgs total for that day, then, inexplicably, I find myself able to get up and get around, take care of some things, and quit obsessing. Now, many people do say that it's below 2 mgs when the noticeable symptoms start. I'm thinking about trying to taper down to 1 mg (consistently) and below as much as I can between now and the end of the year, and then in January setting a more certain goal for the final tapering down to nothing, just like I'm suggesting might be good for you too.

Anyway, I guess I should probably start my own thread to talk about my own issues, but as far as your situation, like I said, remember that January is really not that far off, and between now and then you can very likely decrease your dose gradually but significantly without having it interfere with your ability to take care of everything you have on your agenda. If it goes well, you can always decide to taper a little more (faster). Or, depending on how you feel, you can slow your taper down for the time being (or level it off for a while) and start it up again after the holidays. Meanwhile you could post here on the forum about your progress, as many others do. I think people often find that sharing their experiences with the taper helps them, and it usually ends up helping other people too. I really think you can take the pressure off yourself since long slow tapers are what many people find works best in the long run and there's no real urgency to stop taking the sub is there? In any case I wish you luck, and I really think you sound like you are in a good starting place to do well.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the responses, romeo & auto.

Romeo, I meant I went from 3 to 2. I was on a dose of 16 mgs last month, and I found that I really didn't experience much of anything heading straight down to 4 mgs. From there I did 3 mgs for a week, now I'm on 2. I don't have a taper schedule per se, I figure I will just keep going a little lower until I start feeling shitty. I totally respect your ability to jump from a high dose. I was also reading your thread about relapsing tonight. That concerned me also, but I totally respect you sharing it because it made me think of what I would do if I relapsed. For me, the reasons I am going off of suboxone do not come close to the pain of a relapse. So in my case, I would go right back on subs if the cravings start hitting me hard.

Auto, I am struggling with some of the same issues as you. No motivation. I've gained alot of weight, I sit around alot, I sleep about 12 hours a day, and I crave sweets. The primary reason I am hoping to get off of subs is because of the sweating. It's uncomfortable, embarrassing, and I am just done with it. Oh, and I have some problems in the sexual department as well. And saving the money on the doctor's appointments and meds will be nice, too.

Having said that, all of these things are MINOR compared to a relapse. I struggled for 10 years to get clean, almost lost my daughter twice, and watched my husband overdose and die on the floor in front of me. I have my life back now, so I am tentatively sticking my toe in the water and attempting to stop subs after being on them for 18 months.

On the other hand, I also know what you mean about so much of our ability being how we think about things. I quit smoking last month, and went into it with the idea that it wasn't going to be that hard. I was going to quit and not put a cig in my mouth and it went just like that. So I need to get the same idea behind me with suboxone.

Again, thanks for listening. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have any idea how to go about doing this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Freedom,

I hope you don't mind me saying, you dropped your dose really quickly! 16 to 2 mg in one month is a big drop. I know it's pretty easy to get from 16 down to say 6 mg or below, but it's still a big drop to your brain. I would suggest you slow down your taper. The reason is you don't want to "shock" your brain by removing the opiates that it's been used to for who-knows-how-long too quickly. The idea is the more slowly you remove the opiates, the less the brain will even notice it and the less chances you'll have of severe acute and post-acute withdrawals. And the easier your taper will be with regard to discomfort.

And I must commend you on your attitude towards quitting sub and the possibility of having to go back on it. You know your reasons and are determined, yet still flexible. I think this will serve you well in the future.

I wish you the best with your taper and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your late husband. I can't imagine what that was like for you and your family. You have my deepest condolences.

Overall, it sounds like you are doing REALLY well. Keep up the good work. We're here to support you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.