It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Psychiatry
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm interested in knowing some of your thoughts and experiences with psychiatry. Recently, as with times in the past, I've started to question some of the decisions and explanations my current doctor has come to. But firstly, some back story.

- When I was around 17, I experienced an acute psychotic episode. I was ...sick... Paranoid, delusional, conspiracy theories, even some hallucinations. I needed help, and my parents introduced me to my first psychiatrist. He diagnosed me as having a psychosis (not drug induced, though no doubt experimenting with drugs in the past contributed). No chronic illness. I was aware of opioids, but hadn't used any. In the doctor's office there was a fireplace with tiles around it, patterned with an opium poppy motif. I kept looking at them, and he questioned me, and I told him I felt they were there as a sign I should use opioids to help me. No surprises why I ended up this way then.

- My next doctor was quite controversial in her ideas. She notoriously ran group therapy sessions where everyone was charged for individual consults. She came to the conclusion that I wasn't sick, that I was just a "very naughty boy" ... then put me on Thorazine. A couple of days later, my parents found me in the street wailing, my heart thumping feverish, my wrists and fingers jarred and rigid to breaking point. I was on another planet. My mother, being her usual worrying self, immediately researched and found this thing called NMS "Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome", a potentially fatal side-effect of Thorazine which matched my symptoms to a tee. She went and told the doctor, but she refused to acknowledge the possibility, instead claiming it was opioid withdrawal because I'd used morphine once a week earlier. Maybe she didn't want to be sued?

- My next doctor was fantastic, 86 year old Jewish doctor who needed me to help him read the MIMS medication reference. He had wards named after him. I remember admitting I'd used drug to him, and he'd thump the table with his fist and say "you can't use! you just can't." It had an impact. When he asked me why I didn't have a girlfriend, I told him I didn't feel like I was healthy enough. He said "You have it the wrong way around. For many, finding love can bring health." That stuck. When I had an acute episode, I ended up calling him on the phone and asked for help. But he passed away not an hour later. I may have been the last person to speak to him.

- I have mixed feelings about my current doctor. He's great in every way, except the moment I question my treatment, or come to any conclusions about it myself, I'm made to feel incapable of insight. It's almost disempowering how I'm made to feel when I question my treatment. It's almost like there's a doctor / patient role boundary he's really sensitive about. Over teh years I've realised that it's best for me not to express my own suggestions and insights. Rather to "set the stage" and allow him to reach the conclusion. I'll give an example:

For years I've been telling my doc that anti-depressants have played a role in me returning to drug use. In fact, the only times I've relapsed in the last 3-4 years have been shortly after going back on them. It's almost like I stop caring as much when I'm on them, and if a thought to use arises, there's virtually no brakes, and no insight. I'm like "fuck it". And I usually binge HARD. Whenever I've made this claim to my doc, I'm rebuked and told (in eloquent language): "It's more possible you're using this as an excuse to use." "Perhaps you've set up this precedent in your head." Then he keeps prescribing them.

Even the time I had 13 months completely clean, no Suboxone or even alcohol ... I only relapsed after being put on Effexor... literally 3 days after.

I went back on the anti-depressants (Cymbalta) recently as I was about to go on an expensive holiday to the tropics, and didn't want it wasted by being sad and mopey and messed up. I promised my girlfriend that the first sign I was close to using, I'd rip myself off the Cymbalta. Needless to say, the moment I got back to my home city, very huge cravings came on. Luckily my girl saw what was going on, told me, and I stopped taking the Cymbalta. Two days later I was fine, no more cravings.

I told this to my doc (via email actually). Basically I said "It's less dangerous for me to be depressed than it is for me to be on anti-depressants and using". I went to see him, and he said (in a nutshell): "I read your email, and it appears to me that anti-depressants may be playing a role in your relapsing into drug use. It is known that anti-depressants can cause a frontal lobe syndrome that may cause indifference in your desire to get clean." I was quite angry, but kept it hidden. In my head I was thinking:

"I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU THIS FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS you BASTARD." Most importantly, he had to make it sound like he realised this, that it was his conclusion. The sad thing is, if he acknowledge me the first time, and I wasn't made to doubt myself... we could have found alternative ways to treat my depression, and I may not have had to endure all this shit. It may have ended a lot sooner.

It just angers me how long it takes this guy to acknowledge any possible negative impact from my treatment. There's also been a constant push / pull between us about Lithium and memory loss (especially my verbal memory). Every time I make this claim, he throws it back saying "People with bipolar have been shown to suffer cognitive deficits (ie brain damage) anyway." So I think maybe I'm all demented and it's all in my head, then to test I reduce my lithium for a day, or skip a dose.. And wella - I don't have to google song lyrics every time I try to remember a band's name. And I actually remember the names of people I've known for 10 years and see every month, without hiding around the corner and going through my mobile contact list to jog my memory. It's really rude to forget the name of a close friend you've known for years, right in front of them.

I'm just a bit pissed off. I have a finite time on this planet, and years have been wasted just because my doctor (and apparently psychiatry as an institution) struggles to acknowledge their failings. Just doing some research has shown me how few doctors want to study negative effects of treatments. It seems doctors only want to be remembered for discovering benefits.

Is it time for another doctor? Or is this a problem with psychiatry as a whole?

For those who are interested in a possible link between anti-depressants and addiction, google "SSRI Amotivational Syndrome" or "Antidepressant Apathy Syndrome". Basically, we need to be motivated to stay clean. And when we lose that motivation? ....

Long post. Congrats if you read it. A bit of a vent. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I like you had a mother who was always wanting to find something to blame for the way I was. The ironic thing was all the psychiatrist she sent me to all agreed on one thing my mother was a definite problem in my life. My life as a child, my life as a teenager, my life as a young woman, my life as a daughter and a mother. Which she did not agree with so therefore, I went to many of them looking for that one that would let her off the hook. Never found one. But....everything else between all the different psychiatrist was random and non-evidential. They have to diagnose in order to have something to treat. They try a little of this and a little of that to find what they think would be that chemical reaction or non reaction to usually keep you there in their office.

Now therapy and counseling well I am not quite as hard on them except that in order (well not only but...) to be in such a field you can probably guarantee that their issues are deeper than yours. And yes just like one drug addict can best help another I believe that a sickened therapist can possibly help a sick person. I have had some luck thru the years with therapist here and there.

Sorry that's just my honest take on the field of psychiatry. Educated Guessers. The Brain is not so easy to put into a logical science.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My opinion is that you need to find the right dr to give you the right meds. I lost a good 2 years of my life being on the wrong meds ( lithium and colonapin) my dr swore thats what I needed, and my family believed him.. it made me phsycotic to be on the meds and finally I just took myself off them.

The phsyc I see now was the dr who ran the methadone clinic my son used to go to, he has been a godsend. He immediatly put me on seroquel which I didnt want to do after my past experiences with phsyc meds but I did it on a trial basis and it definitely made a difference in every aspect of my life for the better.

I was told once by a phsyc that finding the right meds is like making soup,, sometimes you need to just keep trying till you get the right results.

Its all about quality of life, if my life was going well not on meds that I would have not taken them, but my quality of life is so much better now... I have been stable on seroquel for almost 4 years and we havent had to change a thing. I also respect my dr, we work well together and he actually listens to me :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

All i have to say is this! I have been in mental health treatment on and off for years miy current psychiatrist helped me beat alot of my ocd ticks but there were alot he couldnt help me with, And these were the most important ones. Well i just recently started dating a new gf a couple months ago and i made changes and beat all of my ocd ticks just about in just one month since dating her that thousands of dollars and hours spent in dr offices could not beat in yearS. I dont know what that says but i think this part of the medical field is a GUESSING GAME! No science no test will ever understand how the brain works 100% or why humans have certain behaviors. All i know is i made all of those changes outside of y Drs considering i havent seen him in five months. So you tell me what you think bc i have n answere anymore. For a long time i swore by this type of treatment but i cant for get making changes in a month that i couldnt make in years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:11 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
I'm interested in knowing some of your thoughts and experiences with psychiatry. Recently, as with times in the past, I've started to question some of the decisions and explanations my current doctor has come to. But firstly, some back story.

- When I was around 17, I experienced an acute psychotic episode. I was ...sick... Paranoid, delusional, conspiracy theories, even some hallucinations. I needed help, and my parents introduced me to my first psychiatrist. He diagnosed me as having a psychosis (not drug induced, though no doubt experimenting with drugs in the past contributed). No chronic illness. I was aware of opioids, but hadn't used any. In the doctor's office there was a fireplace with tiles around it, patterned with an opium poppy motif. I kept looking at them, and he questioned me, and I told him I felt they were there as a sign I should use opioids to help me. No surprises why I ended up this way then.

- My next doctor was quite controversial in her ideas. She notoriously ran group therapy sessions where everyone was charged for individual consults. She came to the conclusion that I wasn't sick, that I was just a "very naughty boy" ... then put me on Thorazine. A couple of days later, my parents found me in the street wailing, my heart thumping feverish, my wrists and fingers jarred and rigid to breaking point. I was on another planet. My mother, being her usual worrying self, immediately researched and found this thing called NMS "Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome", a potentially fatal side-effect of Thorazine which matched my symptoms to a tee. She went and told the doctor, but she refused to acknowledge the possibility, instead claiming it was opioid withdrawal because I'd used morphine once a week earlier. Maybe she didn't want to be sued?

- My next doctor was fantastic, 86 year old Jewish doctor who needed me to help him read the MIMS medication reference. He had wards named after him. I remember admitting I'd used drug to him, and he'd thump the table with his fist and say "you can't use! you just can't." It had an impact. When he asked me why I didn't have a girlfriend, I told him I didn't feel like I was healthy enough. He said "You have it the wrong way around. For many, finding love can bring health." That stuck. When I had an acute episode, I ended up calling him on the phone and asked for help. But he passed away not an hour later. I may have been the last person to speak to him.

- I have mixed feelings about my current doctor. He's great in every way, except the moment I question my treatment, or come to any conclusions about it myself, I'm made to feel incapable of insight. It's almost disempowering how I'm made to feel when I question my treatment. It's almost like there's a doctor / patient role boundary he's really sensitive about. Over teh years I've realised that it's best for me not to express my own suggestions and insights. Rather to "set the stage" and allow him to reach the conclusion. I'll give an example:

For years I've been telling my doc that anti-depressants have played a role in me returning to drug use. In fact, the only times I've relapsed in the last 3-4 years have been shortly after going back on them. It's almost like I stop caring as much when I'm on them, and if a thought to use arises, there's virtually no brakes, and no insight. I'm like "fuck it". And I usually binge HARD. Whenever I've made this claim to my doc, I'm rebuked and told (in eloquent language): "It's more possible you're using this as an excuse to use." "Perhaps you've set up this precedent in your head." Then he keeps prescribing them.

Even the time I had 13 months completely clean, no Suboxone or even alcohol ... I only relapsed after being put on Effexor... literally 3 days after.

I went back on the anti-depressants (Cymbalta) recently as I was about to go on an expensive holiday to the tropics, and didn't want it wasted by being sad and mopey and messed up. I promised my girlfriend that the first sign I was close to using, I'd rip myself off the Cymbalta. Needless to say, the moment I got back to my home city, very huge cravings came on. Luckily my girl saw what was going on, told me, and I stopped taking the Cymbalta. Two days later I was fine, no more cravings.

I told this to my doc (via email actually). Basically I said "It's less dangerous for me to be depressed than it is for me to be on anti-depressants and using". I went to see him, and he said (in a nutshell): "I read your email, and it appears to me that anti-depressants may be playing a role in your relapsing into drug use. It is known that anti-depressants can cause a frontal lobe syndrome that may cause indifference in your desire to get clean." I was quite angry, but kept it hidden. In my head I was thinking:

"I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU THIS FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS you BASTARD." Most importantly, he had to make it sound like he realised this, that it was his conclusion. The sad thing is, if he acknowledge me the first time, and I wasn't made to doubt myself... we could have found alternative ways to treat my depression, and I may not have had to endure all this shit. It may have ended a lot sooner.

It just angers me how long it takes this guy to acknowledge any possible negative impact from my treatment. There's also been a constant push / pull between us about Lithium and memory loss (especially my verbal memory). Every time I make this claim, he throws it back saying "People with bipolar have been shown to suffer cognitive deficits (ie brain damage) anyway." So I think maybe I'm all demented and it's all in my head, then to test I reduce my lithium for a day, or skip a dose.. And wella - I don't have to google song lyrics every time I try to remember a band's name. And I actually remember the names of people I've known for 10 years and see every month, without hiding around the corner and going through my mobile contact list to jog my memory. It's really rude to forget the name of a close friend you've known for years, right in front of them.

I'm just a bit pissed off. I have a finite time on this planet, and years have been wasted just because my doctor (and apparently psychiatry as an institution) struggles to acknowledge their failings. Just doing some research has shown me how few doctors want to study negative effects of treatments. It seems doctors only want to be remembered for discovering benefits.

Is it time for another doctor? Or is this a problem with psychiatry as a whole?

For those who are interested in a possible link between anti-depressants and addiction, google "SSRI Amotivational Syndrome" or "Antidepressant Apathy Syndrome". Basically, we need to be motivated to stay clean. And when we lose that motivation? ....

Long post. Congrats if you read it. A bit of a vent. :D

Tear,

Sounds like you have been through the mill with the shrinks. I don't believe you have found a good one yet.
I believe there are VERY FEW GOOD ONES OUT THERE...that is just my opinion....My first one would be writing his progrss notes on his patients while we talked....he didn't give a damn about me...hated addicts...made me sick... and called me by the wrong first name...only once. I walked into his office and he said good aftetnoon Bettye, and I said My NAME IS JUDY, and if your going to continue to do your progress notes during my 200.00 visit then you can just go to hell and walked out.

The next one only was there to pass out meds...he would give me anything I asked for even though he had just treated me in a treatment center for addiction to opiated and benzos????wtf He spent about 10 minutes with me and gave me a bunch of good controlled med scripts for my 200.00 there. I stayed with him a while because I was getting my drugs ....wtf again???

The next one was an older man who gave you your full hour for your 200.00, but he understood nothing about addiction.
He said he had read the book alcoholics anonymous and it was the most stupid book he had ever read.
His relation to my drug addiction was this..suppose (doctor talking) I had to get up at night to go to the bathroom and when I turned on the lightswitch I got this wonderful amazing feeling like I had never felt before. Then I would go back to bed and not really ever want to go back to the bathroom to get that feeling.

I told the doc I would never have left the bathroom....he never got it.

So I decided to quit shrinks...I decided they did more harm than good to me anyway...and they were also always wanting to prescribe some kind of antidepressant....I have been on all of them and I could never tell any of them did me any good at all. ....so I don't take those anymore either.

Sometimes i think we have to take responsibility for our own health...we know our bodies and what works and what doesn't..just like you tried to tell your doc about the antidepressants causing you to relapse. You knew more about you than he did. ...then we have to be able to stand up to a doctor and say no...this is not the way its going to work.

I know is is hard to do, but I have little respect for most doctors...they don't seem to care...it is all about the money, and they make you wait and wait and shove you around like cattle. I have found a few good ones in my lifetime, but they are few and far between.

Good luck to you on your next doc . ....as for Psy. I think it sucks!
Judy

Post subject: finding the right doctor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi tearjerker--

finding the right doctor, for psychiatry or physical conditions can be difficult. I don't think the problem is with psychiatry as a whole, although i think it can be harder to find the right psychiatrist than a regular physician. Nowadays patients are often encouraged and expected to take an active role in their treatment plans by researching their conditions and also researching medications. I would be annoyed with my doctor (or anyone that i know) who ignored what I'd been talking about for years and then later acted as though the idea I'd been repeatedly mentioning was THEIRS alone. So, yeah, I think you might want to look for another psychiatrist. On the other hand, if this docotr is pretty good in every other way and you now have resolved this issue (albeit still hving to live with the fact that he ignored you for so long and then eventually came up with the same idea you had without acknowledging how you had been talking aobut it for so long) maybe it would be ok to just stick with this guy.

Regarding antidepressant meds...I had never heard of this antidepressant Apathy syndrome you mentioned. But one thing I have heard is that some antidepressant meds are NOT good for people who have bipolar. You have bipolar disorder don't you? I'm sure you know more about it than i do, but I wonder if that is a complicating factor here? Does your psychiatrist know enough about your specific diagnoses to to treat it correctly? It does seem important that your bipoloar disorder be treated appropriately but if the treatment is a contributing factor to relapses in your addiction, then obviously you need to be very careful I believe that there are psychiatrists who would listen to your issue and take them more seriously than it sounds like your current psychiatrist has. but then again, it can be hard to find a good psychiatrist who really understands your condition and also will have a good rapport with you.

You seem like you are quite self-aware and know a lot about your psychiatric issues. I really think it is important to have a psychiatrist who is willing to recognize that and have discussions with you that include your input in your treatment decisions. I do believe there are psychiatrists out there who will fit that bill, but...psychiatrists and doctors are human just like us and none of them are perfect. Anyway, that's all I really have to say about it except that of course i wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do about whether you stick with this doctor or look for a new one. I hoep you're doing well, overall, these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys for all your feedback.

You're right autononymous about the bipolar. There is some controversy out there at the moment as to whether antidepressants are healthy for people with bipolar, and my doctor is sure aware of that. Unfortunately, psychiatry is still stuck in the dark ages with bipolar as compared to other psych problems. There is still no effective treatment for bipolar depression, which is the most prevalent and disabling mood of the condition. I think psychiatrists are all too aware of this. My doctors rationale behind still prescribing anti-depressants, despite the risk of mania and making the bipolar worse in the long term... is "it's better to have complications than to have a patient suicide".

Doctors often complain about how bipolar patients don't adhere to their treatments. It isn't the problem of the patients or the condition. It's for the simple fact that, as yet, bipolar patients don't feel there are enough benefits to justify the side-effects. If there were medications that relieved the condition effectively without much collateral damage, fuck there'd be a queue a country wide.

I hear what you all say about finding a good psychiatrist. When I first met my new doctor, I had a gut feeling about him that was a bit off. But I heard so many people say he was a good doctor (maybe a poor indictment on the profession), that I doubted myself. I also ran out of one of my appointments when he refused to acknowledge that the lithium was making my brain foggy. But after all these years, I've built up a rapport and trust with this guy, and starting afresh with a new doctor will mean losing that. There's also a gamble. Given I think my current doctor is better than average, and has more knowledge about drugs than some (he's an ex-punk rocker)... It will be a big gamble moving on.

Ahh time to stop ranting. Simple fact of it is. The longest period of stability I've had for years was when I moved interstate, stopped taking my medications and didn't have a psychiatrist. I don't even think I saw a GP in that whole time. I stayed clean and stable for 13 months. I moved into a really negative supported accom, where the social worker was in on the action and I saw a side of the local NA fellowship I wasn't aware of. Trying to stay clean became hard, and I fell into depression. But I stayed clean. Only after reintroducing myself to psychiatry and going on my meds did I relapse.

So given I seem to do better on my own than under the "care" of psychiatry... Wouldn't it make sense to make more decisions of my own? Or at least distance myself a bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 pm 
HI tj
That’s interesting what you said about anti-depressants.
About 5 years ago, after a Long period of sobriety I went on Lexapro, it just so happens to coincide with four and a half years of crazy fucked up behaviour. On top of drinking like a camel I started taking OTC codeine meds to the point where I was hospitalised twice for paracetamol poisoning, then I started playing Russian roulette with Cold Water Extraction and then after having a routine X-Ray It was discovered that I had two crushed vertebrae (wedge fractures) WooHoo, I milked that for all that it was worth, managed to find a “good” Doctor who put me on Endone (at my suggestion) and then OxyContin. Within 12 months I was taking 600+ mg’s of oxy a day.
About 6 months ago I stopped the Lexapro and guess what… That coincides with my “recovery” period. Managed to get the oxy down to 400 mg’s and checked myself into detox, got on to suboxone and started counselling etc. so far so good.
Seeya
Subie
(Ooops, This should have gone under your post in "Misc. Suboxone Issues" Sorry for double posting)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm going to admit right off that I didn't read the above responses. I'm short on time, but I wanted to respond.

Tear - you have GOT to tell this person how you feel!! Shrinks/therapists, whatever, should be adequately trained to handle full honesty from their clients, without taking anything personally. And your relationship, I would hope, is to the point that you can be honest with him about this. I'm not saying to go in there all pissed off - not at all. But this will sit and fester if you don't. It's clearly bothering you and it will stay inside building up resentment until you express your sentiments to him. Personally, I find it damn near necessary to express myself often. I need to vent a lot! Besides, how will you get anything done in your sessions with this hanging between you?

So, I certainly wouldn't dump this doctor over this, not yet - not without trying to just talk to him about it first. Give it a try at least. Otherwise you're just assuming what his motives and intentions are and those assumptions could be faulty. That's what I would do if it were me anyway.

Personally, I don't think this is a problem in psychiatry. There are bad apples in any group and doctors are no different and it sounds like you've had your share of bad luck in that regard. OR...you could be (and I'm just throwing it out there), resistant to treatment (unconsciously, of course). I have no idea if that would apply to you or not. You can mull that over in your own head when you're so inclined. Anyhoo, sometimes our shrinks see things in us that we're just not ready to hear. That said, it goes both ways. Sometimes we do have good insight into ourselves and yet the doctor doesn't trust our own opinions about ourselves and just poo-poo's us.

I'd give him a chance to explain himself or at least validate your feelings on this one before you decide to fire im.

That's my ten cents (inflation).

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have talked about it with him in the past, especially with the Lithium & memory loss thing.

Usually he lets me talk. Whenever I start questioning my treatment though, or bring up treatment side-effects and the difficulties I may face functioning as a result. I receive adamant denial and rationalisation. Literally, he gets all defensive, interrupts what I'm saying before I can finish, then comes back with an alternative idea that absolves the treatment of all responsibility. Things like (said all intellectual like) : "Perhaps it's because of bipolar induced brain damage..." Then I remind him that the problems go away when I drop my dose, he says something like: "It's more likely you were experiencing mania from dropping your medications that made you imagine your problems were gone." All the while I'm sitting in front of him on my reduced dose, clearly not manic?

One appointment I actually just left early because of his refusal to consider what I was saying. I've kindof learnt not to question my treatment as a result, as I always leaves me feeling shit when I do.

It's pretty clear I am treatment resistant to anti-depressants. And psychiatry is divided as to whether antidepressants are harmful to bipolar patients... see http://www.psycheducation.org/bipolar/controversy.htm It's really quite dangerous how little is known at this stage. The majority of docs out there are still prescribing them to bipolar patients. The rest are adamant the practice should be stopped as they could make the condition worse long-term.

I'm happy to take lithium as it clearly has some benefits, as long as the dose isn't so high that it impedes my studies and social life (which just happens to be the therapeutic range). Lamotrigine is fine, because it doesn't have any real noticeable side-effects, and I'm unsure if it has any real effect either. But whatever. Most of the mood-stabilisers I'm 'okay' with. But that doesn't really help with the depression.

Anyway, whatever happens happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If that's the case, tear, then I say it's time you start looking for another one. It sounds like you've given him every opportunity to listen to you and your insight into yourself. That shouldn't be poo-poo'ed, if you ask me. You need to work with someone you trust and that you "click" with. I mean, this is your psychiatrist, but you do full therapy sessions with him apparently, right? If so, then after what you've said, I agree, that maybe it's time to look for another one.

I say this because you have good insight into your body and mind and you deserve a therapist who will listen to you and respect your thoughts on such things.

Just don't quit him until you know for sure you've got the next one all set up! Good luck finding another one. You deserve a good one!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

boy tear'. you hit it on the nail!! maybe you should be a doctor :lol: you all most no as much as they do. and the better part" you lived it. the stuff you explained here is going on with practicaly every patiant and i believe you told it the best.
tear3erker'. look at your self' and just see how inteligent you are". and that tells it all. maybe the doc knows you know
more than he duz about the human mind and they are jeluse. keep fighting back? and you will find the right anwser
for you to feel more at ease. don't out smart your doctor :lol: sorry about my spelling i'm fucking being careles about it :cry: just think man'. you have answered all the questions a lot of patiants want to understand about them self.
you all ready wone ' you just need to find the right person to admit it to YOU. and then you will be more comfortable with your self :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

boldlyness is not wanted on the forum and why ? hay tear and don't have bipoler skitsoid and all that shit and then go on 22mg suboxone and be threat'nd to be cut off thats murder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

well". its nice to no that wont happen now!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys.

Thanks johnboy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

tearj3rker wrote:
I'm interested in knowing some of your thoughts and experiences with psychiatry. <snip>

Okay- here is a bit of what my experience has been w/ psychiatry:

After I had given my 1st- and only- child up for adoption at her birth- in Feb. of 1989,
I started using big-time. The 2 nd month after returning back home to PA- from Louisiana-
where the birth and adoption was arranged- I was admitted into the psych ward; and then,
shortly afterwards, the local inpatient drug and alcohol treatment center...

I rem. being dx'd as Bi-poar as well as Borderline Personality Disorder... So I was put on
an anti-depressant only at that time... That med helped w/my depression; but I was still
having extreme mood swings and anxiety/panic attacks, too...

Anyway, I'm going to fast-forward to about 12 years ago- when my last inpatient psych hospitalization
had occurred. I finally saw a psych doc who really seemed to understand me- from the local mental
health center- who also treated me while I was in the hospital that last time. I have been on quite an
array of "cocktails" for my mental conditions.

Fast-forward to today- and about the last 8-9 years, since that last psych hospitalization:
I see my psych doc- or his nurse- once every 3 months. I am on Celexa, Klonopin (a very low dose),
Topamax, and Trazodone at night- to help me to get to- and stay- asleep. This combo is working well.

I also see a counselor- at the same outpatient mental health center- once every 2 weeks. It has taken
me at least 3 different counselors until I've finally found one who *really* understands what I'm dealing
with and what I'm going thru on a day-to-day basis- as far as dealing with Bipolar and Borderline P. D.
goes. As well, she is helping me to deal with my "Substance Abuse/Dependence"- and knows that I'm
on subs, of course.

If anything, I've learned that I've needed to be "pro-active" with my mental health care.

Well, that about sums-up my experience with psychiatry, so far. I feel that I've been quite blessed/
"lucky"/ whatever you want to call it... So, I do not really have any complaints.

Thanks,

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks ex -

After reading that, I acnowledge I've had a better experience than many. Apart from the psychiatrist who didn't want to admit to making at mistake with the NMS, I have been overall happy with my treatment.

The only problem I have with my current doctor is he doesn't want to admit the lithium plays a role in my verbal memory issues. It can be really embarrassing to bump into someone you've known for 5 years and are good friends with, and struggle to remember their name. People really get offended. I even forgot his secretary and wife's name when I called her the other day even though I've seen her regularly for 6 years. I know the problems are completely reversible when I drop my lithium, because occasionally I do it before a social event or an exam or something that requires me remembering names of people / places / things.

It's just frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I can certainly relate to your frustration, Tj...

I actually outright refused to be put on lithium.
So, they put me on Depakote. Well, that put a lot of weight on me- so I was switched to
Tegretol. Then, I found out about Topamax- and got switched to that- which is what I am on now.

And, another mood-stabilizer is Lamictal, I believe...

But if Lithium is working well for you- or if you are not really able- or willing- to try something
different, then I completely understand.

Good Luck,

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

These days it's Lithium SR 450mg at night.
Lamicttal 100mg morning & night (ie 200mg)

It's been the most effective mood-stabiliser regime. My doc wants me to have 675mg lithium, but I really can't function or study well on that level. I almost feel like a 28 year old with Alzheimer's. Lithium has been the preferred mood-stabiliser, mainly because rates of suicide drop significantly on lithium over other mood-stabilisers.

The real revelation has been the St. John's wort and Inositol, and to a degree the fish oil. When I started taking the high doses of fish oil, the first thing I noticed was I started having dreams again. And I was remembering my dreams too. I can literally remember all my dreams as vividly as I remember my waking hours. Weird?

After Interferon tx my mood was haywire. Rapid cycling even mixed-states, at stages off the scale. Then it settled into mostly gruelling depression with occasional hypomanic spikes. Then I reached out for St John's wort and Inositol. St John's wort because it's proven to be effective for mild depression with almost no side-effects. But having bipolar, I'm sensitive to anti-deps. For me it boosted my mood out of the darkness without making me too happy like the SNRI's. The inositol seems to have a stabilising effect, but how much I can't tell at this stage. I'm too wary of stopping it to find out how useful it is, just because I haven't felt this stable and trusting of my feelings for ... years.

If you're ever struggling ex, you could always give them a try. There's little harm in trying. But St John's wort shouldn't be taken if you're on other anti-depressants, and none should be used to replace existing medication.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I don't get what's up with Drs dx'ing children ADHD and Bipolar disorder and/or OCD too!!! I have a big problem with children taking atypicals. respiradol is approved for 3 yr olds, i believe. The off-label symptoms atypicals are being rxed for include add-on depression therepy. Abilify shouldn't be used for a depressed 'soccer-mom' additioned to zoloft. This is an epidemic in child psychiatry all amongst surbia, which will bear many unintended devestating consequences fueled by greedy drug company's, off- label uses, and pure ignorance. I had to put my 'foot down' on the zyprexa, which caused akathisia, delusions, 60 plus pounds etc. then I was taken off this to try geodon. big f****** mistake. two weeks later, after suicidal ideations I admitted my-self into a hospital, only to safely get off the atypical. my ex dr was convienently was out of town. lucky him. I was givin nothing to stop these drugs but a klonopin. I thought one of the docs that I was assigned to would titrate...no. I had a sensory issues coming off geodon including paranoia, hallucinations, delusions and insomnia. My room-mate 'Tom' was detoxing off years of methamphetamine abuse; he looked and seemed much more lucid than me. I prayed I would be as cognitively 'with-it' as 'Tom' .I've never had any of these thoughts before this poisen ( atypical class of drugs). it's opening pandoras box and f***** up many adults and CHILDREN. THE ONES THAT CAN'T PUT A FOOT DOWN.

I signed out MIA and went home after my 'hospital detox' and $9,000 bill. I could have taken my own vitals every 8 hrs for that rate! and come up with a few mg of clonazepam. It took time to get over those atypicals..an atypical hangover. It's like the story: an old lady swallows a fly, then she swallows a mouse to rid the fly, then cheese to rid the mouse. you get the metaphor; for what modern-day psychiatry has become with asinine 10 minute med checks and chests of boxes of samples. These drugs aren't benign and most certainly change one's personality.I'm certain there will be side-effects but how are you going to handle those? . One needs to do their own research, and atypicals will cause so many "symtoms" that are over-pathologized, rather than finding another way of dealing with the issue. Are you or you children going to be the old lady metaphor?

teachers at school love to throw in their 2 cents and now there aren't as many stage- parents but 'is my child acting normal parents' . Nobody likes stage parents, right? Imagine this new hybrid-breed; watching dr. Phil and seeing the abilify cartoon comercials or the zoloft' happy bubble'. mis-informed social worker can have an overly-concerned mother giving her child IV lithium and respiradol. there needs to be more boundaries with these "school professionals' that will paradoxically cause more harm. with atypicals the consequences are scary. Adults are just learning to 'put their foot down' . KIDS CANT PUT THEIR FOOT DOWN LIKE ADULTS do your own research and I want to know where some of that Billion $ eli lilly was sued for mis-leading docs on zyprexas thereapeutic qualitys . I'm not standing by the mail-box