It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:39 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I don't get what's up with Drs dx'ing children ADHD and Bipolar disorder and/or OCD too!!!I don't 'get' psychiatry as well. I have a big problem with children taking atypicals. respiradol is approved for 3 yr olds, i believe. The off-label symptoms atypicals are being rxed for include add-on depression therepy. Abilify shouldn't be used for a depressed 'soccer-mom' additioned to zoloft. This is an epidemic in child psychiatry all amongst surbia, which will bear many unintended devestating consequences fueled by greedy drug company's, off- label uses, and pure ignorance. I had to put my 'foot down' on the zyprexa, which caused akathisia, delusions, 60 plus pounds etc. then I was taken off this to try geodon. big f****** mistake. two weeks later, after suicidal ideations I admitted my-self into a hospital, only to safely get off the atypical. my ex dr was convienently was out of town. lucky him. I was givin nothing to stop these drugs but a klonopin. I thought one of the docs that I was assigned to would titrate...no. I had a sensory issues coming off geodon including paranoia, hallucinations, delusions and insomnia. My room-mate 'Tom' was detoxing off years of methamphetamine abuse; he looked and seemed much more lucid than me. I prayed I would be as cognitively 'with-it' as 'Tom' .I've never had any of these thoughts before this poisen ( atypical class of drugs). it's opening pandoras box and f***** up many adults and CHILDREN. THE ONES THAT CAN'T PUT A FOOT DOWN.

I signed out MIA and went home after my 'hospital detox' and $9,000 bill. I could have taken my own vitals every 8 hrs for that rate! and come up with a few mg of clonazepam. It took time to get over those atypicals..an atypical hangover. It's like the story: an old lady swallows a fly, then she swallows a mouse to rid the fly, then cheese to rid the mouse. you get the metaphor; for what modern-day psychiatry has become with asinine 10 minute med checks and chests of boxes of samples. These drugs aren't benign and most certainly change one's personality.I'm certain there will be side-effects but how are you going to handle those? . One needs to do their own research, and atypicals will cause so many "symtoms" that are over-pathologized, rather than finding another way of dealing with the issue. Are you or you children going to be the old lady metaphor?

teachers at school love to throw in their 2 cents and now there aren't as many stage-parents, but.. 'is my child acting normal parents' . Nobody likes stage parents, right? Imagine this new hybrid-breed; watching dr. Phil and seeing the abilify cartoon comercials or the zoloft' happy bubble'. mis-informed social worker's can have an overly-concerned mother giving her child IV lithium and respiradol. there needs to be more boundaries with these 'school professionals' that will paradoxically cause more harm. with atypicals, the consequences are scary. Adults are just learning to 'put their foot down' . KIDS CANT PUT THEIR FOOT DOWN LIKE ADULTS do your own research! remember parents; you are legally responsible for your children and the drugs you 'recommend' them to take. down the road when johnny develops a tic or god forbid anything else,e.g. akathisia, he might 'look back' and trace all the 'influencial' schollares, guidance councilors, principals, 'celebrity' high-dollar shrinks and wonder...when and where things started to go wrong? If you feel like you are over-prescribed, start at a new baseline. ask questions, questions, and consult ...knowledge is power... and atypical anti-psychotics are powerful

Eli lilly was sued for mis-leading docs on zyprexas thereapeutic qualitys . Something of the nature of 1.3 BILLION .Hell, Purdue wasn't even sued for that much. I'm not standing by the mail-box waiting, that's certain. I've wasted enough time with these drugs (atypicals), but the thought of giving them to children nauseates me. Who would accept blame for any negative consequences? I know they don't do test in children with developing minds

As many kids being AD/HD dx with inattentive, hyperactive, or combined. They say in the DSM-IV, something like 40% suffer from co-morbidity as well. Be it anxiety, depression , opposional defiant, OCD. What do we call these moms that want to medicate little 'johnny' ? After his pills he'll be okay?...right?, poor kid. The quintisential child seen in a pediatricians office will run into these issues. Or parents rather.. With shrinks seeing more patients and receiving less money, the trend of going to an hourly rate isn't going to be a trend much longer. Now, you're in a pediatricians office with your parents looking through shire pharmas vyvance billion dollar add campaign. Pediatrition offer's vyvance with your literatures coached questioning and with as many patients they(pediatrician) see; adding resperidol for 'tantrums' along with vyvance doesn't seem to outa line

I'd hate to be in healthcare today only to find I'm not being compensated for my time fighting insurance company's. Nobody wins; the quality of health care goes down because less time is spent w patients. It can take yrs. to correctly diagnois some conditions;time is needed, not med check. I guess an all cash business would be my choice too. sheesh, I'm exhausted but needed to get that out. The title of this thread is "psychiatry', right LOL....

Post subject: best wishes indigo
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Far-king terrible to hear your going thru this, indigo. Ya spot on with the swallowed fly, anology,.
You know I'm so relieved I did'nt go the shrink option, after snapping on magic mushrooms,- the bad trip that never ends. Shit if I had told a dr what I was thinking, hearing and seeing back then, I would have been committed for sure. I never told a soul about those thoughts that terrified me for all those years, but most folks knew I was a bit different. Obviously those thoughts were never acted on, but it certainly taxed my social skills, and to a degree still does.
I'm sure I'd now be far worse,-dead, had I brought myself in for proccessing by the system. Ever so slowly the radio station has changed frequency, but I still have bouts of chatting and paranoia, but nothing as constant as those early years, and I have a few friends who have p/scitz and bipolar who are still getting the compulsory shots, but their not getting better.
Anyway hoping for better days for you soon Indigo,

Post subject: Effexor and addiction
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tearj3rker,

As soon as I started reading your original entry I just knew that Effexor was going to come up. I was put on Effexor XR when I was 14 (fifteen years ago) by my family doctor. I guess I was depressed (for good reason, but that's another story), so my mother had written this doc a letter to "fix" me. Well, I trace that prescription as the beginning of my addiction. I have continually been on psych meds until about 6 months ago. And I feel better now than I have in years.

I started doing street drugs at age 16, and became addicted to opioids at age 18. And now I have read that Effexor is suspected of causing or exacerbating drug addiction. Google it. I've read two different psychiatry texts on that. And I know that my craving for opiates was INSANE until I quit the Effexor several years ago. When I quit Effexor, my craving for opiates decreased 10-fold. Now, by then I was a full-fledged addict, so I continued to use when I could. But I believe the Effexor contributed. Even more strongly I think that being told to take a pill, especially an antidepressant, at the age of 14 to deal with normal teenage issues preconditioned me to addiction. I do know that all the antidepressants and antipsychotics I've ingested over the last 15 years really did nothing but raise my anxiety levels and destroy my natural metabolism. I've come to realize I'm better off without them; Suboxone is the best antidepressant I've ever been on.

Bunny

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bunnyman...

I wish I had more time to do a better response, but I agree a LOT about drugs like Venlafaxine worsening addiction. It took my doctor a while to "come around", but now he agrees as well. There's some new research indicating that SSRI/SNRI medications can actually worsen a person's impulse control. It's called "antidepressant apathy syndrome". My doctor said that they have even shown physically that when a person is on SSRI's that there's a weakening of the frontal lobe circuit that's responsible for self-control. This is why many people complain on anti-depressants of not caring about doing chores, paying bills, working hard. There's this feeling like "it's all good and happy it'll be FINE".

It's hardly surprising that when that attitude is found in a recovering addict, it spells disaster. I can tell you right now that if I were to go back on an SNRI/SSRI, I would lose a lot of self-control with my addiction. It get a feeling like "it'll be okay, who cares?" because everything all happy joy, and I'm unable to recall negative memories like I should.

What is quite scary, and angers me a lil, is that before they knew this about SSRI medications, they were actually prescribed to treat addiction! It was based on a flimsy piece of theory - addicts use because they're depressed, give them anti-depressants and they won't want to use anymore. Sadly there was no real research done into this, and lately it's been shown that the opposite is true.

When I relapsed at 13 months clean, it was shortly after I got put back on anti-depressants. I had a serious relapse into depression, looking over the cliffs into the ocean every morning thinking when it'd happen. BUT I did not want to use, the thought made me even sadder. Then the moment I got put back on SSRI's (venlafaxine to be exact), I picked up within 2 days.

Another time I was in rehab, been there 4 months. My depression returned, and I got put on Cymbalta / Duloxetine. Up until then I was a real well behaved resident. Two days after I got put on Duloxetine I got booted out for theft of tobacco (community tobacco but still I didn't have clearance). It was as if I had no brakes. If a thought came to my head, I'd act.

What angered me about my doctor was that I told him there was a link between SSRI's and relapse for years, and he refused to believe it, choosing instead to believe I was using it as an excuse. And then when he eventually ackwnowledged it this year (the evidence piled up), he pretended that it was HIM that came up with the link and that it was HIS breakthrough.... Whatever.

As for diagnosis of bipolar in children. I do believe that there is such a thing as childhood bipolar. Looking back, I had symptoms of bipolar as a child. That being said, I think only certain very talented psychiatrists should be allowed to make such a diagnosis, as such an illness manifests in children in a much different way. And knowing how inept some psychiatrists I've known can be, it does frighten me a bit that kids may be diagnosed with chronic illnesses when it really isn't the case.

I was dead set against childhood bipolar, until I saw this, and I saw a lot of myself as a kid in this guy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W2bQD9jgo4[/youtube]