It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: psychiatrist question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi I'm just starting to try to find a suboxone doctor in my area and haven't had much luck yet using the search sites but I think I've read somewhere that all or almost all psychiatrist doctors are able to prescribe it? If that is true I have to think it would be alot easier to find somebody willing to help.
I've been using every kind of opioid/opiate pill I have been able to get my hands on for about 5 years and have tried cold turkey and tapering multiple times but no luck with it sticking and I really want help.
Also how often to people get denied help when trying to get on suboxone? I'm paranoid that I'm going to go through all the work of finding an appointment and getting my hope up for getting help just to get sent away no better than when I started. I really don't want to do rehab and I think it might only make my problem worse really. I think if subs work as good as I've read then with the right help I could use it and taper over the course of a month and hopefully be good from there but can't try it until I can find the right help.

Thank you in advance for any help

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:18 pm 

I have never heard that almost all psychiatrists can prescribe sub. I don't believe that is true. Every prescriber must take an 8 hour class to be able to prescribe it.

Suboxone can be a lifesaver and it certainly gave me back my life. The people who are most successful at suboxone assisted recovery recognize that sub is a tool. Used correctly, sub can give you the time and space to fix your life. Some people have little to no trouble with a long, slow, taper (longer than a month) and then stepping off the medication. Others have more trouble with it, but it's not impossible.

Good luck finding a sub doctor! Some folks recommend calling local pharmacies to ask who is prescribing sub.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:30 pm 

Hey JRJD,
Welcome to the best forum on the Net. Glad you found us. This place is own and founded by an addict and Sub Dr himself.
I do hope you will look over some of the forums here. Introductions, My Addiction Storyand Induction Froum are good places to start.
Better yet, check out the Talkzone. You will find Dr Junigs views and facts on everything Subox/Buprenorphine. .

Drs who can RX for suboxone must be aproved and take an extra Educational course to write for and be a suboxone provider. So, not all shrinks can prescribe ,nor any other dr without a DEA number. . You will need to do the leg work to find a dr. They are in short supply with the need very high now in this country. Have you used the Find a dr search box here? Also, the Here to Help.com.,tbe Naabt.org site ?
Bring out the old yellow pages and look there too. Are there clinics in your town? Try there too..

Ive been on sub 4 years now, est tbing ive ever done for myself. Lougterm maintenance is becoming tne norm. Yes you can go short term its up to you, but in recovery theres a saying. Its not the stopping thats hard, its the Staying stopped.
So much change has to be done, i had no idea. I thought id be on sub a month or two and that would be it. As addicts, if we are left with nothing after detox, the feelings of wanting to use, the cravings come back.

But one step at a time, hope you find a dr soon, you really sound ready J...keep posting too...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are other pathways to being a Buprenorphine prescriber than the 8 hour course. If a post residency addiction fellowship is done then they may apply for the waiver. It is assumed after 1 year of additional training you should have a handle on aspects of addictions. Those fellowships are not restricted to psychiatrists.
In our area very few psychiatrists have their waiver. 2 of us, and I think at last count there are 20-25 psychiatrists in the area. Forgot about the VA, there are 2 of them as well, and I think 8 psychiatrists.
Some of the Methadone clinics provide Suboxone, they have no cap but you would be under the same restrictions as a methadone patient. But if you just want a one month taper perhaps you could put up with the daily dosing and their regimen.
Another source to find a doc is to check with your pharmacist. They may or may not tell you but they would know who currently is writing scripts. Recently I have had two patients come on recommendation of their pharmacist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

thanks for the talkzone plug, Razor!

I have another web site that lists the databases that I am aware of-- http://www.suboxdocs.com

docm2, that's an interesting idea about checking with local pharmacists-- that gets around the problem with databases, i.e. they have a lot of names of docs who took the course, but never actually got around to prescribing.

In my part of the world-- upper Midwest-- most of the psychiatrists don't prescribe buprenorphine products. They're already too busy, and they are mostly employed by health systems... so they have no motivation to take on additional patients. I think if they did, they would find the work much more rewarding, given the difference that they could make in peoples' lives...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think if they did, they would find the work much more rewarding, given the difference that they could make in peoples' lives...

You are absolutely right. Not very often do I see someone with schizophrenia or other major mental illness, start a medication and therapy, then in a few months they are back telling me they have reconciled with their spouse, got a great job, made amends with family, etc. That is a recurring theme with sub patients. You have probably seen as well the person with 'Dual Diagnosis' and once on sub they don't need the several psychotropics they were on or at least fewer and lower doses.