It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone else is seeing a Psychiatrist as their sub doc? If so, could you tell me a little bit about your experience? Specifically, what was your first appointment with them like? I have my first appointment with my doctor on Thursday and I'm extremely nervous for whatever reason. I usually find that it calms my nerves to obsessively research whatever topic it is that I'm nervous about :P Okay, not really, but I'm hoping it will help a bit to see what others experiences are with this situation. Did they induce you in the office? Did they prescribe it right away at your first visit or require you to come in for additional sessions/appointments? Etc?

I'm sorry if this isn't the correct board to post this to.

Chrystal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:49 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey! My sub dr is just a regular family dr. Do you mind me asking- is there a specific reason you're seeing a psychiatrist for subs? Is it part of your recovery plan? Were you previously seeing him/her for another issue? Or how did you end up going to this dr? I would imagine most dr's prescribing subs generally follow the same protocol. I went in and told my dr some history about my addiction. I told him i didn't want to live like that anymore. He talked to me for a while and taught me some things about addiction and suboxone. Then he wrote me a months script. I also get a drug screen almost every month. I'm sorry i couldn't help more. But try not to worry about it. I mean- there's really nothing to worry about. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:06 am 

Hey Chrystal, my Dr is a psychiatrist. I go to a suboxone clinic. He did my induction inside the office. I attended a meeting/drug screen/and meds once a week for 3 months....then every two weeks for another 3 months....then I finally got to go monthly. I have been there over 2 yrs. I've never been to any other Dr for suboxone except my clinic so I have nothing to compare it too. My clinic is extremely strict and if u aren't there for recovery, u won't stay long lol. This is just my experience there's tons of examples here on this forum. Don't worry, u will do fine....I hope I helped u a little bit :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My sub doctor is also a psychiatrist, a very well known one in fact. Our sessions are an hour long and cost 150.00 each. I had two other sub prescribers before him though, but had horrible experiences with them, so I found this doctor by using the physician locator at http://www.naabt.org. so it was known at my initial appointment that I needed to be a buprenorphine patient as well as have the services of a psychiatrist. I like this much better than the other doctors, I actually get his undivided attention for an entire hour, for less$ than many people I know pay for a ten minute sub appointment. he works for a larger group called Changes by Choice, in Durham NC. I hope your doctor works out as well for you. I'm sure it'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the replies :) It's helpful to see others experiences. I don't really have a particular reason to see a psychiatrist as my doctor. He just happens to be one of only two sub doctors in my area who take insurance. There's at least 10 more who do cash only, but unfortunately, that's really not an option for me. He's not part of a clinic either, he's just a psychiatrist who runs his own practice. He's the only psychiatrist in the office, although there are a few psychologists/therapists there as well. I suppose I like that part of it, because I do think I'd benefit from some counseling along with treatment. I don't know why I'm so nervous. I have this fear that he'll turn me down for some reason and it's going to put me on edge until I finally get in for my appointment. Oh and to answer the question of how I found him, he was listed on the suboxone.com doctor locator. I went through the entire list trying to find doctors in my area who take my insurance and he was one of two that did. This is going to sound strange, but when I went to the website for the clinic, I just liked the look of him. I don't mean in a creepy way (lol), but he just looks like a nice guy if that makes sense? I'm hoping my instincts are correct. I just don't see many people on here saying that they see a psychiatrist for their sub doctor so I was hoping to find others who are in a similar practice.

Chrystal