It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am in my late 50s and just recently started taking suboxone to help me quit my hydrocodone habit of 25 years. I have always been under Doctor care for many different pain issues, but I decided I was going to try and live with the pain and get off the drug. It has been almost 4 weeks now and other than getting Prostatitis almost immediately after starting suboxone, it has not been bad at all since reducing to 6 mgs from 8 mgs (of suboxone). I am on 6 mg a day, 4 mg in the AM and 2 mg in the PM. I started, I am sure like everyone else, with 4 mgs first day as 2 mgs did not get rid of my anxiousness from withdrawals, then moved to 6 mgs the second day and then to 8 mgs on the third day. I was on 8 mgs for about a week but was suffering from itchy face, burning nose and eyes and a constant nausea. I was feeling generally pretty awful.
Now like I said previously I am almost 4 weeks completed and I still am having prostate problems. I have a chronic problem with my prostate, so having a prostate issue is not unusual, however it has not been as troublesome in the past. I started taking Levaquin 1 500 mg tablet daily but after 6 days I was absolutely no better at all. It still felt like a fire in my penis when urinating and my penis felt like it was raw on the inside. I switched to Cipro on the 7th day and am still taking it going on my third week and the burning sensation has left and now is back again. I have had no ejaculations during this period because I have always been confused as to whether it is better to or not. I have had several different urologists (due to moving from city to another) and it seems their opinions differed on whether you should or should not have ejaculations. Okay, I think I have gotten enough background behind me. I need some assistance on whether this suboxone is causing the prostate issue or whether it is keeping it inflamed or if it is all just happenstance. I called my urologist's office today and left a message with his nurse explaining to her I was on suboxone and had a hurting prostate. I just wanted to find out if the medicine had anything to do with it. She called me back and the doctor gave me the message "if you are not better in one week, you need to come in right away. The medicine you are taking is believed to irritate the prostate gland, however there is not ample information to totally confirm or deny this." So what the heck did he say?? Come in next week and I don't know if suboxone causes a prostate issue or not.
Does anyone here know if suboxone is actually known to irritate the prostate so that it will keep my prostate from healing properly?
Thanks to all of you for posting your thoughts and I appreciate everyone for sharing their experience on suboxone. If it had not been for this forum, I may have still been on hydrocodone as I was afraid (to get better??) to stop.
Respectfully,
Knoiro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum and suboxone. You did not state in your post how your doing in relation to suboxone helping you with your addiction to Hydros. Is it working for the w/d and cravings? I too have prostate problems and need to have an operation called Turp- my prostate is somewhat larger than my bladder and needs to be trimmed. Iwas constantly having an enlarged prostate which caused leakage and trouble urinating. The issues you are describing has not been an issue for me. In fact I have not had an enlarged prostate in over 9 months......although my sexual appetite is down I am able to have sex and ejaculate. I have been on this forum for awhile now and this is the first I have heard of your specific problem. But don't worry there is alot of experienced people on this site and I am sure someone is going to be able to give you the information you are looking for. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just thought I would let everyone know, the suboxone has kept me from having much in the way of withdrawals. I do have to say, that on last Friday I was thinking on the way home how good it would feel to have some of this pain gone. The hydrocodone would cut the pain by quite a bit, however even though the thought crossed my mind. I wouldn't didn't take any. After 25+ years of carrying my bottle of pills in my pocket no matter where I went, I am fully relieved and thankful I don't have to do that anymore. It was so bad before I quit that I would carry a pill with me even if I just took one and I knew I would only be gone an hour, "just in case". I didn't abuse the pills though as far as taking 3 or 4 or more at a time and I rarely ever got to 6 in a day. I took the norco 10/325 until the last month when I asked the dr to reduce my pills to 7.5/325 so I could start the ever so painful weaning off them. With suboxone though, I didn't have to. I stopped taking the pills for 2 1/2 days and was into withdrawal more than I wanted to feel, went to the doctor and 2 mgs then another 2 mgs of suboxone and I was feeling relieved from the withdrawals. Although it did make my face feel like it was burning, the doctor assured me that it wasn't the suboxone. We did figure out it was and since I am on only 6 mgs a day, I have no withdrawals, no nausea, no burning nose, eyes, itchy face and other than the prostate (and my normal pains), I feel fine. And sir, thank you for asking. I got to repeat my story again :)
Knoiro

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello and welcome.

I have been on suboxone for almost 9 months and have not yet had the problem you are speaking of. I am not a doctor or expert by the way, just a recovering addict with chronic pain. Also, I am 27 years old.

There are several web sites that list side effects for suboxone(buprenorphine), a quick google will pull them up. Webmd.com lists the following on their site about suboxone; under 'precautions':

WebMD wrote:
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: lung disease, liver disease, serious head injury or brain diseases (lesions), low thyroid problems (hypothyroidism), adrenal problems (Addison's disease), psychiatric problems (toxic psychosis), difficulty urinating (enlarged prostate or urethral narrowing), acute alcoholism (with or without delirium tremens), spinal problems (kyphoscoliosis), gallbladder (biliary tract) disease and other abdominal conditions.

I am almost positive that if this is a side effect of suboxone/bupe, then it is for all or most other narcotic pain meds. I am just wondering if since you were never on more than 60mgs of hydrocodone in a 24 hour period and now on 6mg of suboxone, can that have anything to do with it?? Not sure, just wondering.

Now that I am thinking about it, back in my active addiction I would have a hard time urinating if I was loaded on opiates. It would never hurt (never does now nor back then thank goodness!!) but it would seem to take a while to actually go (lol!) and even sometimes a weaker 'stream'. Now on 12mg of suboxone, I 'pee fine'! No 'delay' as before, and never weak stream.

Well, just my personal experience and personal opinons. Please keep us updated! Good luck to you, and take care...

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am not sure what this comment means "I am just wondering if since you were never on more than 60mgs of hydrocodone in a 24 hour period and now on 6mg of suboxone, can that have anything to do with it?? " I would be glad to reply to it or attempt to understand it if I were for sure what you are inferring. By the way, does BigRed have anything to do with Nebraska? I mean you, of course :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:44 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Noiro -

I think there is an 'equivalency' type of chart somewhere that say's how much opiate (say Norco) in your case is equal to so much (buprenorphine). I don't know where the comparisons are, but I have heard solid folks talk about methadone to suboxone references mg-mg.

The thought is that, believe it or not, 6 mg's of suboxone is probably flooding your receptors and body with more medication than your 60 mg's of Norco. So, the question is, is the dose you are on, causing the problems, or is buprenorphine in general causing the problem?

You could look at moving down to 4mg's and see if anything changes. If you are getting maximal absorption, you will probably feel about the same on 4mg as 6mg - but for many people less is better - especially with side effects.

I don't know if this helps or not. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much sir, it does help me a lot. I had not thought about how close the two drugs compare to each other. That makes sense for sure. I now wonder if I am actually on more drugs now than before? I am feeling pretty good except for my pain, which is just going to be there. This is a great forum, I am glad it is here. Thanks again sir for explaining.
Knoiro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sorry! I had a long day (another tomorrow...) and just now getting a chance to type back. Thanks lathedude for clearing that up. Indeed, that is what I was getting at noiro, sorry for the confusion. I was trying to say that 6mg of suboxone in a 24 hour period might be more powerful then 60mg of hydrocodone (vicodin, lortab). I am not sure, just my educated guess. There are many conversion tables/charts/tools that you can find through google, but sometimes the buprenorphine (main drug in suboxone) to other drug conversion is not as accurate because of the ceiling effect not being taken into consideration for bupe. I would post some links, but don't think it would help in this case.

BigRed doesn't have anything to do with Nebraska, its kind of a long story that I wouldn't want to bore you guys with..... I live in North East Pennsylvania actually. Good luck to ya noiro! This is a GREAT forum and everyone here is very helpful and supportive. I love this place!! Take Care...

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BigRed, thanks for helping me also. I live in BigRed country:) so that is why I asked you. I tried googling for the charts before but had no luck, I will do it not using suboxone instead. I know for sure that 8mgs must be more than 60 mg because like I stated earlier, it made me feel like crap. Norco did the same thing if I ever took two of them to close together, it sure did help with the pain though :) Peace to you, BigRed and sometime, bore me :)
Knoiro