It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have heard a million different things about what to do and what not to do before and after dosing! I want some real answers and want to know the RIGHT answers lol. Google ad thee forums just wasn't getting me anywhere.

I read you can't smoke for an hour before or after takin your sub. And that you can't eat or drink anything an hour before or after.
I also heard half an hour!
But I was told to take a sip of water before taking my strip to moisten my mouth a bit so it could disolve better.

Can anyone give me some real answers please. Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on the tablets, but I don't think it matters? I smoked before and after my dose with no problems. I usually didn't eat before my dose, but I would eat within a half hour after and things were fine.

I never did put any water in mouth before because once I put a tablet in my mouth, my mouth would usually start to water and dissolve the pill very quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Honestly. I used to obsess over this exact topic and bioavailability and all that jazz. It just got me a head full of somewhat useless information lol. In my honest opinion, it is just a process of trial and error. If you feel like smoking will mess it up before or after then don't do it. Same with eating and drinking. That's the only way you'll get your answer. It's just so individual in nature that it's impossible to rely on what happened to someone else. It may or may not be the same for you. So my advice is to just try different things out and see what happens. And if you don't want to risk it then just refrain from both. Simply put. Lol. That is what I did to figure it out for me personally.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MovieMaker1 wrote:
Honestly. I used to obsess over this exact topic and bioavailability and all that jazz. It just got me a head full of somewhat useless information lol. In my honest opinion, it is just a process of trial and error. If you feel like smoking will mess it up before or after then don't do it. Same with eating and drinking. That's the only way you'll get your answer. It's just so individual in nature that it's impossible to rely on what happened to someone else. It may or may not be the same for you. So my advice is to just try different things out and see what happens. And if you don't want to risk it then just refrain from both. Simply put. Lol. That is what I did to figure it out for me personally.

OMG, I used to do the SAME THING!!!!

and once I noticed I had this whole lil OCD type ritual going on........LOL

so anyways, I quit doing THAT,,, and now I just TAKE IT, just put it under my toungue, smoking or not,
and Of course I do not eat while It's in my mouth, but that's about it.....

I don't feel withdrawls, so I guess Im getting it...... but I DO UNDERSTAND when people are on a
micro-dose, then it's probaby WAY MORE necessary........

here's a great thread
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=256

SEVEN PAGES of people, and how they do it~~~~~

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Eating and drinking is a factor in suboxone absorption because it changes the pH level in your mouth. The pH level is the number which tells how acidic or non-acidic your mouth is. This acid is what starts to dissolve the enamel and allows cavities to form, also dissolving Suboxone. Every time you sip or eat something it will lower the pH in your mouth, making your mouth very acidic for approximately 20 minutes. That's why most doctors say to wait 20 minutes before and after.

Me personally, I take it by breaking my pills into quarters and putting them under my tongue for an hour while laying face down. For some reason, I've noticed the suboxone seems to work better when your face is downward. After an hour has passed, I'll swish it around my mouth for another 15 minutes as if it's mouth wash. Then of course, wait 20 minutes or 30 before eating and drinking. This works well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:10 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Eating and drinking is a factor in suboxone absorption because it changes the pH level in your mouth. The pH level is the number which tells how acidic or non-acidic your mouth is. This acid is what starts to dissolve the enamel and allows cavities to form, also dissolving Suboxone. Every time you sip or eat something it will lower the pH in your mouth, making your mouth very acidic for approximately 20 minutes. That's why most doctors say to wait 20 minutes before and after.

Me personally, I take it by breaking my pills into quarters and putting them under my tongue for an hour while laying face down. For some reason, I've noticed the suboxone seems to work better when your face is downward. After an hour has passed, I'll swish it around my mouth for another 15 minutes as if it's mouth wash. Then of course, wait 20 minutes or 30 before eating and drinking. This works well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:15 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I honestly am not sure how I ended up double posting that. I didn't mean too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Moviemaker and Amber, y'all aren't the only ones haha.

Having now tried everything, I don't think it is as crucial of a subject as it may seem. The most important thing it to just make sure it goes under your tongue properly. Sometimes the film would stick to my fingers or get in between my teeth. Smoking doesn't matter at all. About not eating and drinking 15 minutes before or after taking it is a little overrated. Although I personally think it is better to drink before you take it, and not after, but not eating. Drinking helps it dissolves faster and I think it says to drink before dosing on the suboxone website so it is odd that people say not to. I can't think of a negative for people not to drink before. The worst that'll happen is that you may not absorb the maximum of your dose but still get damn near it if you ate afterwards.

Here is my method that I think works best. I try to dose first thing of the day. I start by drinking a lot of water to hydrate myself and get my mouth wet and to form more saliva than not. I take 16mgs a day so I put 2 films under my tongue at the same time, one on both sides and not overlapping. I found out from this community that a tooth pick works extremely well to hold the films in place. Using your finger can make some of the film stick to your finger and mess it up terribly. I don't swallow my saliva either for about 20 minutes. It takes about 5 minutes (almost always less) for it to be completely dissolved and then the saliva builds up and I let everything be digested sublingually rather than swallowing. Hope I helped you. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone and thank you for your replies!

I did obsess over how to take my suboxone ad eating, drinking, and smoking before/after taking my suboxone. But y'all are right! It's about trial and error and I think I found the solution that works best for me! What works fr me may not work for you, but I'll let you guys know what I do.

I eat my breakfast, drink my coffe, chec my email, and have a cigarette. I wait a half hour then put my dose of suboxone in my mouth. I then get in the shower, this way I won't find myself trying to talk to other people whil my dose of sub is in my mouth! LOL. I had a problem with that. Mostly because other people I live with DONT understand I can't talk with it in my mouth and ask me questions or start a conversation!

Thanks again for your replies everyone.

Yours in the struggle! - Jasmine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jasmine, I've tried to dose in the shower too for the same purposes but i always feel like im getting some water in my mouth. Do you let it dissolve and then you're done, or do you keep your "subliva" in your mouth for "x" time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Im with Amber, Moviemaker, and Romeo on this one. Unless you are getting into micrograms
while tapering, there really is no cause for concern. I did google every. little. thing. in the beginning
to help with absorption. Some people have little tricks they use to get a "high"? I don't know.
Don't listen to that garbage. ESPECIALLY from someone looking to get a high.
I just put mine under my tongue....spit out whats leftover, and go about my business....
Hope it all works out for you!
Good Luck and Take Care~Kelly[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kelly - I totally agree. I try to start with a clean mouth and then don't eat or drink for 30 minutes after (so as not to wash the bupe off the mucous membranes). Other than that I just take my dose and get on with my day. I feel like if your spending an hour+ dosing or going through all kinds of steps, you might be obsessing a little and it's probably not making a huge difference in the result.