It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm nervous as a rat typing this question.
I'm going through divorce house settlement, a long drawn out process that has taken a nasty turn. My lawyer just told me that my husband refuses to pay any of the settlement money (he retains the house ) and he has told his lawyers [u]I'm on the program.
I'm sure my being on the program wont effect the settlement sum but I am terrified that this being told to my lawyer. I live in a small town. I have a good respectable job.

My question. Can he bring that up in court?
(it's not slander if its true but it is so humiliating.)

I pretend so hard that I'm normal (please no one take offense I'm not saying any on the program isn't normal just I'm trying to pretend I'm the normal old me)
I don't want this to come out now I've come so far. I'm scared to death.
The only reason I told my husband is because he noticed a change in me after I went on the program. I thought I could trust him.

I am gutted.
-F7.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi f7,
I feel for u and I'm so sorry settlement has reached a new level.
I understand your concerns and desire to keep this private. Hopefully someone can help answer your question. I am far from qualified to give you an accurate answer but as u stated, it shouldnt have any bearing on settlement so I would hope it is irrelevant and therefor not worth a mention in court. He is obviously aware of the weight this carries for u and doing his pathetic best to create worry.What a bastard. We are here for u so please feel u can vent anytime.
Sending strength and calm ur way
X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Fiasco7,

I don't know what state you're in, but here in Alabama, I didn't even go to court for my divorce (after 26 years of marriage). The attorneys handled everything and we just signed papers. IMO, the fact that you're "in the program" won't come up, but even if it does, it will most likely be buried deep inside some obscure part of the documentation. I really doubt anything "gets out" about your.

Thanks,
Morphing

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:15 am 

Didn't you sign a confidentiality agreement with your lawyer? Aside from a therapist I would think that your lawyer would have to keep your bupe use a secret. However, it could come up in court. I think your lawyer should be prepared for it so that if it comes up, perhaps your lawyer could ask to speak in chambers so that the whole court room wasn't listening in.

I don't have any expertise in this area, but I'm just guessing that this could help? Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your Responses are so great, From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Just knowing that people understand how awful this feels, to care enough to respond, makes me have hope.
I'm seeing my lawyer tomorrow. I'm nervous as my lawyer is also sort of a friend, we attend many social events together. I have known my lawyer for many years and pre program have got them to buy pain pills for me. I know the whole poo slinging saga probly wont effect settlement, its the shame I feel at them knowing my private demons, and knowing I tricked them into feeding my addiction.
I am greatful that I am on the program as I dont know how I would of handled it if I was still on pain pills. or rather I do. I would have eaten a few packs of pills (or something harder) just to take the emotional pain away.

Thanks again to all who responded.
To answer a question. I don't live in America. I live in Australia. In a small Outback town. I saw a kangaroo waiting for wildlife rescue on my way to dose this morning. (I stopped to help but the right people were already on their way) so yeah, we have kangaroos in the street but we don't ride them. and we have Electricity and running water. :) - F7