It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Probuphine - A novel form of buprenorphine in that of an implant.

Probuphine is a prospected form of a buprenorphine implant which can be administered in a simple office procedure. The implant is placed in the upper-arm under the skin by a doctor. Probuphine then offers the patient 6 months of continuous buprenorphine dosing for a simple implant.

Buprenorphine is medication used to treat and detoxify patients suffering from chemical dependency or "addiction". The 2 most current forms of buprenorphine are in high-dose sublingual tablets - as in the case of Suboxone & Subutex - and also, a newer application in the form of a film meant for sublingual use also. Buprenorphine is a novel approach as it allows former opioid addicts to pursue a normal and higher quality of life by eliminating the deleterious effects of withdrawal and also by suppressing the intense cravings for more of the opioid drug.

Probuphine offers many potential benefits. With one simple office procedure, a single solid-rod of buprenorphine is implanted in the upper-arm underneath the skin and administers a continuous infusion of buprenorphine for up to 6 months. Some of the potential positive effects Probuphine offers are:

-There's no need to worry about daily dosing
-Less trips to the pharmacy
-Cannot lose or misplace medication or worry of meds. being stolen or diverted
-You won't have to experience the unfavorable taste of Suboxone/Subutex
-Ideal for traveling and if going to jail not worrying about being suddenly stripped of the medication

Currently Probuphine is in clinical phase III trials, which is one of the last stops along the rigorous approval process imposed by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA). As with anything else, there are pros & cons to almost anything, however, the goal of Probuphine is that there will be more "pros" than "cons".

Would you be willing to try Probuphine, and if so, why? Please list any possible pros & cons you make think of the new application and support your opinion (this is not the same as listing the pros and cons of buprenorphine therapy [which is clearly stated to not do at the top of the forum])

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the info...we've discussed this previously. I'm sure you can find prior threads about it.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have covered some things in this article that were once stated; however I expanded upon those mentioned and also provided a more cohesive article and thought the proposition of an implantable formulation of Suboxone was reason enough to reitterate it.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fair enough...:)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You could have just added your post to one of the other Probuphine topics though. Just FYI.

-Jack Kornfield