It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: problem here
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok i started subs last tue and the dr started me at 3 8mg a day. Well he gave me a weeks supply and my problem is i dont have my next appt til fri. so this means i will run out tom and since my dr is like a hour away should i call him and c if he will give me enough to last til fri or break the three i have left and jus not take as many so i can atleast have some every day til fri? guess im tryin to figure out if he would call in the rest til fri for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Call the doc office first. He is likely to call them in for you to keep you stable on your dose. If he says no, then let's figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ya if he doesnt i think im goin to try to take 4 mg and see how i do the rest of the day i mean today i woke up and didnt take my first dose for like 2 hours jus to kinda c what would happen and nothin really i felt fine no w d im sure if i wouldnt have had ne thing i would get cravings that is what im worried about and jus bc the old lady is at traing ( to b a prison guard) like 2 hours away and i know i can get away with getting high or basically doing we so i hope 4 mg will atleast take the cravings away im pretty sure it will. i mean i have been fine in the past when i would buy it off the street when i didnt have the full amount for a bag of dope or could not find it a half would b jus fine for a day and i have only been on for 6 days so hopefully no w d from it

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

def call the doc, but if worst comes to worst im sure youll be fine if you have to break them in half. but def call your doc asap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Subox's half life is about 37 hours, so I agree you should be fine if you take half doses or even skip a day.
Hang in there.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: No Excuse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:19 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

HI dav_15_2001,
Im glad you posted and glad your here.... I am NO Dr. or Medical Professional ... I'm Just a Recovering addict ( And Alcoholic but that's another site... LOL) with some experience using Suboxone!!! I'm glad to say!! If I read you right you just got started on Suboxone a week ago and your apt. with your Dr. is not till Friday?? (3 days Late???) Not sure why the mix up in Apt.'s But if the Dr. won't call in some meds to hold you over then you should be fine taking 4 mgs till you get your script and fill it..... Like hatmaker said the half life is so long that it should carry you thru. Whatever you do DON'T let this be an excuse to pick up and start the Nightmare all over Again...... It's not worth it.. I would definitely speak with your Dr. as to why this happened so you can be sure it doesn't happen again and you might have to go an extended period of time without Medication.... Well Congrats for getting in Recovery and please keep posting out here so WE can follow your progress and success.... Best of luck!!!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ya i jus took 4 mg and im fine. and no i wouldnt let that b an excuse to pick up the habbit agian. i was gonna try not to take any today but for some odd reason i couldnt wake up i would jus fall back asleep and prob slept for like 12 hours which was ok cause the week before i went the wd 2 and half days before my appt and i didnt really sleep those nights. Plus the first few days on the subs it kinda gave me a speedy buzz or i was just so excited to be on them i didnt sleep to well those nites either, but i took 2 mg when i woke up and then another 2mg about 3 hours or so ago and its been fine. probably will do the same thing tom that way i can take a whole on thur and fri. anyway about the dr let me tell u about my interduction ok first off there was no drug screen and i didnt get a sub when i was there. I had red that they r suppose to give u some while u r there and try to get your dosage right well needless to say that didnt happen. basically he asked me a few questions like what i was on how much and when was the last time and a few other questions and that was it. Kinda made me mad 2 cause i was so nervous days before the appt. Like when should i quit using i know i had to quit 24 hours before i got there but i actually quit like almost 3 days before. Bad thing was i had the chance to get high for free one last huray i would say sunday nite and my appt was on tue and i got half way to were i was goin and got scared cause i freaked out that i would screw something up and i wouldnt get my subs. well come to find out i could have and not gone thru wd basically untill the day off the appt but o well thats in the past and cant change that jus glad i have these things so i can lead a somewhat normal life thanks for the advice though guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are good ways to use buprenorphine and bad ways. The bad ways will at least keep a person from using agonists, and will usually keep a person alive and functioning... but I encourage you to consider taking it 'right'-- eventually, if not now.

Unfortunately I don't think that enough docs stress the little things that make bupe more than a maintenance agent. It sounds like there was not enough attention to your need for meds to last enough days; it is important for the doc to make a clear difference between buprenorphine being a medication 'now that you are changing your life', rather than just another pill that you get either from the doc or on the street. From your standpoint, I recommend you consider a change in your basic philosophy about 'self-treatment'-- part of being 'clean' is giving up the idea of treating yourself for your medical needs, particularly needs related to 'how you feel'. This is a hard adjustment, as we addicts become used to watching out for ourselves, and it is hard to trust people when you know that some of them are viewing us as 'weak' or 'dumb' or 'evil'. But you will do better if your goal is to become like all the non-addicts out there when it comes to pills. If you have some elderly relative who would never take an aspirin without consulting her doc, SHE is who you want to become!

I have treated 450 people with buprenorphine over the past 4-5 years, and about 10 of them took or are taking more than 16 mg of buprenorphine per day. In fact, the earlier patients were the ones that got the higher dose for the most part; curently I have 3 patients at doses higher than 16 mg per day, and two were 'inherited' from other docs who had them on the higher dose. Most of my current 100 patients work the dose down over time; not because I want them to, or because there is a risk to taking more, as much as for simple convenience or cost. I really push the 'once per day in the AM' thing, for many reasons. Read on if you are not bored yet...

We want to get rid of the relationship between taking something and feeling something. If the dose is taken at the end of the day, I know that the persong will think about it all day and convince himself or herself that the waiting is fllled with 'horrible withdrawal', and they will feel relieved when they take it-- even before it touches the tongue! So dose once, at the start of the day, even if you take two pills. You won't trust me, but if you did trust me I wouldl assure you that you WILL BE FINE. If you get a feeling late in the day like you 'need more'-- a tiny 'mini-craving'-- just distract yourself and it will go away. If on the other hand you start debaing to yourself whether or not to take that second (or third) dose, guess what will ALWAYS win?

You don't have to get all this straight from the start, but I do recommend that you think about setting these ideas as boundaries to guide your ride into life. I see a CLEAR difference in the people who say, 'yes, but' and then find a reason to be 'special' and take something they know is not correct, vs the people who come in so sice and desperate that they will do ANYTHING the doc asks.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

well its dr day and i just took my last 4mg before i go, and ya i have been fine with a lower dose. i think the dr wants me to do 24mg for another week then switch to 12mg next week but, he is gonna give me a month supply next week. I am kinda hoping he will jus give me a month supply today since the drive is so far and plus the dr visits are a bit pricey.Let u know how it turns out later