It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:35 am 
Thanks to whoever started this topic. I wish I had seen it sooner. It's a comfort to know that others have experienced what I have experienced. To put it in a nutshell, I got a bad vibe about my doc right from day 1. He did have me come in for induction and checked on me every 15 minutes, although he left me in a room full of files, with other patients names fully visible. I have only seen him about 4 times since (for less than 10 min. a visit) and I have been on sub for 5 months now. He never once mentionned therapy, 12 step groups, etc. and when I mentionned them he was like, "that would be a good idea". Also, there have been times that I tried calling him for a week straight. I always get a machine and he never calls back - even during regular office hours. Needless to say I started looking for another doctor and got a list of Sub doctors in my area. I checked the reviews for the first one and they were all horrible, some explicitly saying DON'T GO THERE! I called another and he said he only writes scripts (no therapy or groups) and he only takes cash even though I have insurance. I did go to a third doc. who is part of a family practice, and they do require therapy, meetings, etc., but they put the addicts in a special waiting area away from the "nice" patients, even though none of them were outwardly any different from anyone else. Also, I was there for 2 hours and I only saw the doctor for 5 min. and he didn't impress me. So I don't know if I want to go back there.

As for the pharmacy, the very FIRST script I got was supposed to be 1.5/day for 30 days for a total of 45. Instead they gave me 1/2 per day for a total of 15 for the month. I didn't even notice until I got home, at which point I called them and they treated me like a lowlife junkie that was trying to con them for more pills. So, of course I immediately called the doctor who (see above) never called back for a week and I actually had to drive to his office and confront him in person because by that time I was down to the 1 Subutex I had left from induction. Another time at the pharmacy one of the techs didn't see the DEA # on the script and yelled across the room to other other tech, yelling Suboxone right out loud so everyone in line could hear. I should have stayed calm and got the person's name and reported her to the manager, but instead I was so angry and flustered I just left. The problem is that there are very few pharmacies that carry Sub near me and I can't go travelling great distances just to avoid these people - and I don't even know if they would be any better elsewhere. I really think Sub has been a great drug therapy for me, even better than I expected. But the providers in my area leave a lot to be desired. Thanks for listening.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:10 pm 
Welcome Lilly! I'm glad you found the forum and hope you will participate here often.
I'm sorry you've had some trouble finding a decent doctor and pharmacy. About all I can offer is support for your efforts. As far as doctors go - I don't know. I've sure heard of some crappy ones who don't seem to care about their patients at all. But then there are others who seem to be very caring. It would be nice if all the doctors who prescribe Suboxone were doing it purely because they have a heart for addicts and want to help us. But that's not always the case. The thing is, you'll find that in most all areas of medicine. As a healthcare professional I encountered hundreds of doctors over the years. Some were super good people in general and good doctors. Others....not so much. So I think with the Sub doctors it's pretty much the same thing. However, the fact that we are "addicts" puts us into a certain category in the mind of some people (doctors, nurses, pharmacists, whomever.) It's wrong that it's that way and maybe, hopefully over time that will begin to change. But until then, it seems like we really only have two choices....speak up to defend ourselves or just keep quiet and tolerate poor treatment at times. Neither option is 100% appealling. Of course, there are some circumstances in which it is important to speak up. We have to advocate for ourselves where our healthcare is concerned. As most everyone knows, there are laws in place intended to protect our privacy as patients. If at any time (like at your first doctor's office) you see a lack of regard for patients' privacy, it needs to be addressed. It's also completely unacceptable to not get a call back from your doctor. There is no excuse for that and I would definitely not continue seeing a doctor that I could not reach when I needed help. I think the most important thing is that we learn not to receive or take to heart any treatment of us that is meant to shame us. Easier said than done, I know. But we pile enough shame upon ourselves!!
Anyway....I hope you're able to find a physician who treats you better. As far as your recovery goes, beyond your Suboxone prescription....continue to take responsibility for it for yourself. Just because the doctor doesn't require meetings or therapy or counseling, doesn't mean it isn't important. Go ahead and pursue any and all avenues of recovery that may benefit you along with your Suboxone. That way you'll have great chances for life-long sobriety despite the fact that you didn't have the best doctor in the world!!
This forum has been a great source of support for many of us. I encourage you to participate fully here as part of your recovery. Glad to have you join with us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Lilly
I too hope you find the right doctor you feel comfortable with. A little tip for you is that most 24hr pharmacies like CVS or Walgreens usually have the medicine instock. I recently was switched to subutex and I was finding that pharmacies were having a tough time getting them due to back order. I think because it just went generic not long ago. I have a pretty good Pharmacist now and I call him 1 week before my visit to let him know I will be in ...in one week with my script for 112 2mg subutex. This gives him enough time to order it or get it from another pharmacy. I then call him 2 days before my Dr. appointment to follow up with him. Since I started this I have not had trouble getting my subutex. I hope things get better for you....stay in touch with us.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Goodness knows I can empathize! I am really sorry you are having a hard time with this. The last thing we all need to be dealing with is this when we are trying to get on the right track to begin with. I find it more frustrating because with sub the initial appointments are expensive and siince you are dependent on the suboxone you are also dependent on the doc. The bad ones know that and don't care how they treat you.

If you are still searching for a doc, I am sure you have already tried the NAABT site. Try the suboxone site. Then try the suboxone directory site. I finally found a good one and she actually has the first appointment FREE which is a meet and greet to see if it is a good match. You can always try asking them if they have this option and if you find one that does....they are probably a good doc to begin with, but at least you get to try them out.

I too have found that Walgreens ALWAYS has the sub in stock. They didn't the first time I went there but over the past 3 years I think they have learned. I have never had to call in advance to make sure as I am pretty sure they order the inventory based on what they are already selling and I am part of that supply. If not, there are a million other Walgreens' around to go to. I do hate walgreens as a general rule however. BUT....you can always go to Walgreens first to get the script and then call your preferred pharmacy and ask them to please order it because you will be in next month.

If you have already resolved your issues, then I hope this helps someone else.

Oh...and in terms of the online reviews, be careful with those. A lot of suboxone docs are also pain management docs and patients get mad when they don't get their lost/stolen refills, or don't get a script without prior med records, etc. Don't trust anything that doesn't explain why. You never know...there could be a few REALLY good docs that have these comments BECAUSE they were good docs.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:57 am 
Wow, I'm really overwhelmed by the outpouring here. I just finished reading all the replies I got to my intro. and now I find all these replies! You guys are amazing. I did get the names of all 4 doctors I researched/ visited from the Suboxone site, as well as about 4 others who either didn't take my insurance or weren't taking any new patients. As far as the reviews went, they were very specific, as in, the doc's husband (who works there) referred to the Sub patients as "lowlife addicts", and the doctor left urine samples on the floor! The more doctors I try to contact the farther and farther I extend my radius from home, which is difficut because I have 2 young children. Thank God, my resolve to do this was like iron, because if I had been the least bit hesitant, I certainly would have given up by now. I wonder how many addicts in my area already have? By the way I live in CT, which is supposedly the richest state in the union and from what I have experienced with our healthcare system (not just re: Sub), I feel like I'm in a third world country.
Thank you all so much for being here. I only registered yesterday and I already feel so much less alone. I really haven't been able to discuss these concerns with anyone else, and I've been on Sub for 5 months.
Thanks again,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is more than one suboxone site for doctors. If you haven't already, try this one...

http://www.suboxone-directory.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I wonder why I don't obey my own rule, but I would
have to drive to another state to get the Rx filled.
That raises flags so I brought the script in.

I was Rx'd #60 Sub 8-2mg
#60 Lyrica 300 BID
and#10 10mg Zolpidem (ambien)

So I go back into walgreens ( and it's always something )
They said the suboxone was coming back "prior authorization required"
Which of course meand you either buy what of it you can or
get a letter from the doc which states stupidly
"This patient is getting substantial good out of
suboxone therapy and he needs this coverage"
So I had to put out the cash.

I don't get why public aid jerks me around so F'king much

Anyway, im new, I posted first on the welcome board.
This is My rant

T'is good to be here!

me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 am 
Just got a statement from my insurance company re: the doctor I mentionned in my 2nd post who put the addicts in a "special"waiting area. They charged me for not 1 but 3 drug screens - and I didn't even take a urine test! This was the only doc out of about 8 I contacted that would take me as a patient, take my insurance and did a comprehensive recovery program (instead of seeing me for 5 min. and handing me a script like my current doc). I was already uncomfortable about the new place & now I'm even more so.

Right now I'm still officially with the doc. that doesn't return calls for 2 weeks straight, and I'm down to 8 days worth of pills . Also, I found out that this doc almost lost his lisence a few years back, both for insurance fraud and malpractice! I'm really in limbo. I know I need to get away from this guy, but I've come up empty trying to get a new doc.
I've been very down lately and I'm thinking about getting high a lot. I really appreciate this forum, it's the only thing giving me hope for recovery right now.
Lilly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:14 pm 
Just got a statement from my insurance company re: the doctor I mentionned in my 2nd post who put the addicts in a "special"waiting area. They charged me for not 1 but 3 drug screens - and I didn't even take a urine test! This was the only doc out of about 8 I contacted that would take me as a patient, take my insurance and did a comprehensive recovery program with a contract (instead of seeing me for 5 min. and handing me a script like my current doc). I was already uncomfortable about the new place & now I'm even more so.

Right now I'm still officially with the doc. that doesn't return calls for 2 weeks straight, and I'm down to 8 days worth of pills . Also, I found out that this doc almost lost his lisence a few years back, both for insurance fraud and malpractice! I'm really in limbo. I know I need to get away from this guy, but I've come up empty trying to get a new doc.
I've been very down lately and I'm thinking about getting high a lot. I really appreciate this forum, it's the only thing giving me hope for recovery right now.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly
I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I feel like I can relate as I am currently looking for a new doctor as I am moving over 500 miles away and have been stable on this program for 11 months and I am up against time. Today I was asked if I had insurance and I said yes........What kind?.....I told them and they said you will have to wait till June before we can get you in. His wife is a doctor here she does cash only. I said fine I am ok with that I pay cash now. She said I am sorry you can't do that ....that is against the law....What???? If you have insurance you can't pay cash.......unbelievable. Honest to god it feels like I am dealing with snake oil salesmen ........what gives here. Today a suboxone doctor in my area was charged with attempted murder for stabbing a patient with a sword.............a sword.....he was found to have drank a fifth of brandy and taken two klonipins....when confronted as he was about to stab her again he said she is 4 quarts low on oil....very scary......I truly want to believe that there are more GOOD doctors out there than bad. For some reason we are seeing some of the bad. You have come a long way and you can't give up now. Getting high is not the answer. We can't let those bad doctor's deter us from our goal......our freedom. Let's stay in this together......you are strong and you have taken some great steps in owning your recovery. I would call the office and be professional and ask about the billing error......and that may be what it is an error. We addicts find it hard to trust anyone and I can tell you I was not happy with my doctor when I first started but I started being honest with him about how I feel and sharing with him about my recovery and my education about suboxone and subutex. I even shared with him this forum and I could tell with each visit he was becoming more involved in my treatment. You may end up going back to that other doctor but it is up to you to share and be honest with him/her how you are feeling and how should you handle situations where you need to get ahold of him and can't ...ask him what you should do. I think we have to believe that we own our recovery and be involved in it all the way. I am sorry you are segregated from the other patients....the pharmacy issue...but you know what we are not in jail, the mental hospital or driving to a methadone clinic everyday to get our medicine....we are free to take our script to the pharmacy get it filled.....take as directed...go to meetings or therapy and live our lives. I am so grateful for that ........so I am going to follow through and keep forging ahead to keep this disease in remission. We are so lucky to have this available to us...unfortunately we are finding some other side effects of this medicine. Stay close to us and we will all learn and grow together. I am praying for you Lilly.....Best of Luck.

A Covington doctor has been indicted by a Kenton County Grand Jury on a charge of attempted murder for stabbing a female patient. Dr. Douglas Rank initially faced an assault charge after the incident in February.

Dr. Rank has been in the news before. We've covered his troubles in the past with state medical boards.This time, police say he was admittedly drunk and on drugs when neighbors rushed in on a violent scene.

Dr. Douglas Rank owns 12 West Pike Street in Covington. He has an office on the first floor and an apartment on the third. The attack apparently happened in the apartment about 7:45 p.m. on February 21st.

Doug Hamilton, Neighbor: "All I heard was a scream. But it was the type of a scream that you know something is wrong. I went up to the top of the steps and they were fighting."

According to the police report, several neighbors intervened, but not before the woman was stabbed several times.

Lt. Col. Spike Jones, Covington Police: "We would consider her injuries to be life-threatening at the time she transported to University Hospital for treatment of those injuries. Based on that criteria, he was charged with assault first."

According to the police report, Rank had consumed a fifth of brandy and taken two Clonezapam muscle relaxers.

Doctor Rank is board certified in psychiatry and internal medicine, but his problems with medical boards have generated reams of paperwork. He admittedly had sex with one patient and got into more trouble for allegedly prescribing medication to another. But what happened last night was a surprise to everyone.

"To my information, we haven't had any problems with him as far as criminal behavior in the past. To me this is a new occurrence for this individual."

"He has some inner demons, apparently, that he needs to be working with and now he'll get the help that he needs."

Dr. Rank is held on a $50,000 cash bond but he will likely face a new arraignment for the upgraded charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:35 am 
ReRaise, thanks for the encouraging post - I really needed to hear those words right now. I can't forget the gratitude I felt when I first got on Sub - after withdrawing on my own twice in the previous 2 months and suffering the hell of it only to relapse again a short time later. Then when I got on Sub I broke that vicious cycle and got to feel normal again for the first time in years. So, yeah, I should be focused on the positive instead of on the difficulties.

I guess part of my problem is that I set my expectations too high. I got most of my info. from the Suboxone website which paints a picture of a comprhensive recovery program (therapy, support groups, doctor visits, etc.) and I thought that anyone specially lisenced to prescribe Sub had to be part of that program. Then when I got out in the real world and saw how some of these doctors operate I was extremely disapointed.

As far as the doctor that overbilled me, I did call about it and got it straightened out. But even before that bill came, I had left that appointment in tears. I don't even know why. No one was outwardly rude to me. I guess I just felt like that doctor was my last hope, after calling all those other doctors. But I just felt like they were herding the addicts through there like cattle. In fact, that's why my bill was wrong, they simply bill all the addicts that come through there exactly the same. No one is an individual.

So as of right now I have an apt. with the doctor that people here advised me to get away from. Even though I know he isn't a good Dr. at least I can go in there and feel like a normal human being and be talked to like I'm a decent person not a "lowlife addict" (see part II).
Thanks again for the feedback. Right now this forum is my therapy.
Lilly

Post subject: memories
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At one of my inductions, the doctor was very rude to me. She wrote me a script for 2 2mg suboxone tablets and had me fill them at the pharmacy.

It took a while to get them, then when I returned she said "Wow you came back, normally all of you stupid addicts take off after they get their script".

I then remembered the $600 I paid for my 'induction' and thought, "she's amazing in that I paid someone $600 to treat me like this"

Then my insurance didn't cover the suboxone, and I could only get 1 week at a time. The pharmacy had a lot of fun with me to. This was the same pharmacy where a month before would give me 180 oxycodone and not bat an eye, but suspected my every move with a suboxone prescription! I had to drive 50 miles BACK to the doctor because she misdated it and the pharmacy then rejected the next one because "they didn't match".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm 
That makes me want to cry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:12 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I would report them to your State Physicians Board of Registry if a doctor did me like that.

When I contracted Hepatitis C I waited till late on a Sunday night to go to the ER and get the diagnosis as a formality. I already knew what was wrong, but that's a different story.

The doctor came in and from the start treated me like dirt, going over to the sink to wash his hands after feeling my liver area like he had crap all over them. He proceeded to tell me in a loud voice that he used to be a Fed and it was people like me that was bringing down society. To go to a teaching hospital 100 miles away where they took charity cases like me since I didn't have insurance. On and on and on... The whole time the door to the room was open and people started to walk by just to see what was going on, and it was 2am. He didn't know who he was messing with.

I left AMA and would not sign their papers. The next morning I called my State Physicians Board of Registry to report him and they sent their rep 120 miles to my house to interview me that day. When I told him what went on he was shocked and said he was headed straight out to the hospital to investigate my complaint. I advised him to ask the dr what he did before becoming a physician, because if I wasn't telling the truth there would be no way I could know he used to be a Fed.

He doesn't work there anymore and I could have sued the hospital, but hothead I am told them money wouldn't make right the way I was treated. They were desperate to settle and frantic just to get me to talk to them. I have to be on deaths door to go there again, but they don't even bother to send me a bill if I do. There are also signs everywhere saying they treat you whether you have ins or not.

The doctor I see now is based at the same hospital and I received nothing but respect and courtesy when I went for my induction. When I went to get my script filled at Walgreens my insurance wasn't in order and the tech spent about 15 minutes on the phone with Medicare trying to get things right. I went ahead and paid cash for the starter script, approx $26 for 4 2mg tabs, just to get the ball rolling. The doctor inducted me to my satisfaction, even though he knew I wasn't in WD from the COWS scale, shook my hand as I was ready to leave and said God Bless You.

After I got home I got the ins matter straightened out myself and called the pharmacy to tell them and that I had another script I needed filled. They said come on out and we'll fix you right up. They even applied my ins to the script I paid cash for earlier that day and gave me my script and a wad of cash back to boot. My co-pay was only $3.15 for each script so I got about $20 back without a whimper.

Don't put up with people dogging you. Knock a MF out.