It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am a 26 yr old female who has been on probation for 2 years and on suboxone for roughly 5 months. When my probation officer found out about the suboxone she was instantly against it. I have had clean tests with her for a little over a year, but that was only due to good planning, i certainly was NOT free from opiate use. My life has been amazing since starting the suboxone [the right way, but thats another story.] My PO is really REALLY an obnoxious person with ridiculous views on many things...so i expected this to happen. She required that i make a 'plan' for rapid detox off of suboxone with my doctor. I never did that. I told my doctor about her and she[po] called him[dr]. He told her that he was the doctor and thus would be the one in control of my treatment. This made me happy, but not for long. She still demands that i come off of suboxone, and though i dont think there is any legal action she can take, she can make my probation extremely difficult...and has done so for quite a while with no provocation OTHER than me being on suboxone[like i said, before i started suboxone i was using opiates but had not popped on a test in over a year.. so as far as she knew i was doing everything that was required of me.] I feel my only option is to lie to her. This is wrong, and i spent so many years lying, i dont want to do it now...but what choice do i have? I CANNOT STRESS TO YOU ENOUGH HOW ANGRY AND FRUSTRATED THIS SITUATION MAKES ME. I actually lose sleep over it. Can someone please help me...anything..?

sigh. My PO has obvious issues that i have noted for a long time, and i would like to change my po but i dont know how to do that, and if i did, how likely it would be to happen. Also, i have given her all the information i can about suboxone but she literally will not even let me speak about it for more than a few words before rudely interupting.

sorry for the formless rant, just typing about this makes me so livid.

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eleven I very much feel for you :( I think many of us Suboxone patients are thrust into similiar situations and unfortunately there hasn't ever been a real easy answer in my experience. I really do think it's a good practice to talk to others about it though and hopefully we can help you to resolution. Although I wasn't on Suboxone yet when my probation finally ended I made the decision to come clean with my PO about my continued drug use through the time that I was supposed to have actually been on probation. I had just gotten out of rehab and I was trying very hard to maintain a high degree of honesty in everything I did, it scared me obviously at the time to tell her but ultimately she just said something like "it's your life and your the one who has to decide how to live it". I'm saying this though to say that in retrospect I don't think it was a good idea for me to tell her everything. I've also learned the hard way through sharing in N.A. meetings about the fact that I was on Suboxone that those who don't understand can make things very difficult for us. I'm certainly not advocating lying as I believe maintaining honesty has been one of the big reasons I'm still clean but I've learned there are appropriate times to give full disclosure and sometimes there are things that I simply have to omit. Another example, I just started dating a new girl recently and Friday nights I still help with a local more "enlightened" NA meeting close to where I live. When I told her I had some things to do Friday night she really wanted to know what I was doing and I really struggled with whether or not to tell her what was going on and ultimately explain my crazy past and just hope that she'd not stop talking to me after realizing how messed up of a person I used to be. I ended up actually telling her but it was really awkward and I really think I should have held off for quite awhile before telling her the craziness that was my past. So my best advice is to find others going through the same thing with some experience (like Suboxforum :) where you can get feedback and come to your own conclusion based on what's worked for others. I hope you find a resolution and I'm so very glad to decided to come and share with us :) Let us know how things end up :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:58 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

You know what? I was in the same spot only my probationer did not know of my suboxone use and Dr. so I just never said anything. They wasn't testing me for it specifically and I always done what they asked of me so, in the end it all worked out fine. We all know lying is very wrong however, if you are in need of YOUR medication and are recieving it legally then just say "OK" and carry on (taking your meds) and as long as you do whats asked of you by your probationer then you should be fine. My advice to you is simply this: Don't offer up any more information than is required. In this case I would probably lie- wrong or not. Finish your probation, straighten out your life and take back control of YOUR future!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with the above advice. You know you need the Suboxone and your doctor knows you need the Suboxone, so you should not have to go off it because of someone's MISINFORMED opinion. I know lying is an issue, but if she really forces you to answer to it, maybe you could say that you have made the decision to start tapering off, but just don't mention that won't be anytime soon. It really seems that going off the Sub and relapsing would be much worse for your probation than being on Sub against her wishes. This is a crappy situation, and I truly wish you the best of luck.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Is there anyway you can get a different PO. I really don't think she can control what medication and how much a doctor is giving you. I would research laws on the subject. For instance what if you were on probation and was seeing a doctor for pain management due to an injury. You would test for opiates but not be violating the law because of a valid medical reason. Same case here. I think the problem is some people see people in suboxone treatment as druggies, how can you, cause the same people don't see elderly patients taking morphine daily for a plethora of pain problems as addicts.

Just go to the library and check the laws. Same as pain meds. Find a contradiction and shove it in her face. Don't think of yourself as an addict but a patient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A PO is a public official. You are under no obligation to keep her identity private. Indeed, you have an obligation to expose. What is her name?

`~- Nehmo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To add to my previous post. I didn't mean to expose her in *this* thread. But don't protect her. Gov bullies hate it when you put their name out there, and doing so, in a way, protects you.

`~- Nehmo