It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 pm 
This is simply a thread for people who have knowledge on the subject of anti-depressants.

I see some people take anti-depressants after long term bupe/methadone use. My Dr. even said he puts some of his patients that stop taking suboxone on Seroquel or a Prozac type deal.

I was on suboxone long term . (5 years) So, can one take an anti depressant for a short period of time? Just to get through the worst of PAWS...? I'm debating if this is a good idea for me. I always try to stay positive but i must admit, i am depressed.

Pros and cons of anti depressants anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Several months after quitting Suboxone I found the need to start an anti-depressant. I used Wellbutrin, I think it was the 150mg dose, once per day.

I stayed on that dose for a few weeks, felt better, then quit taking it. I was deathly afraid of becoming dependant on another medication.

About a month or two later, I felt I needed to take the Wellbutrin again, so I did, but it was for a short time again. I think I did the on again, off again thing with Wellbutrin 3 times before I finally threw 'em away.

Honestly, it's like everytime I was on Wellbutrin I learned a little bit more about how to deal with the depression/anxiety I would get until the point came where I didn't need it anymore. I believe it's been over a year since I tossed my Wellbutrin. I used Wellbutrin almost like I did Suboxone, if that makes any sense?

Anyway, that's my experience with AD's, hope it helped ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Seroquel is a powerful anti-psychotic. Can be useful for sleep at very low doses - nibble off the pill. It is a mental straight jacket at high doses. Not really an anti depressant.

The studies in the PDR indicate pretty marginal results for SSRIs and a strong placebo effect keeps them selling.

In my opinion they are not worth much long term because it seems people do get dependent on them, and have a hard time stopping, although I do not know why.