It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Prince
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just posted about the buprenorphine connection to Prince-- what a shame! If you haven't read it yet, check out my blog http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com

Post subject: Re: Prince
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Dr. J. Good writeup on talkzone. Thank you, I've been hoping for a thread on Prince. NBC news reported that Dr Kornfeld made an appt w a local MD, his son flew to Minneapolis with a bottle of bup pills (the photo they showed was buprenorphine 8mg SL) and was there when they found Prince in the elevator and is the one that called 911. Police took the bup pill bottle. Help was coming - so close yet not in time. Besides TMZ, there's other alleged info out that Prince had a significant opiate habit. His reportedly former dealer says interesting info in an interview.

Its unacceptable that bup is hard to get and also is unacceptable that its not considered or mentioned or encouraged as an option to seek... and people needlessly die because of this.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, could it be that finally, the name Buprenorphine will be recognized? Does it take someone famous to miss living by a hair? Maybe now everyone will want to know what this medication is that could have saved thier idol, Prince?

For years I have had to experience: " Are you on any medications?" "Yes, Buprenorphine" "What is that for?" I have had that happen many times with my many illnesses and surgeries. When I described what the medication was for, the Drs. attitude changed. It's as if a red light went off on my forehead that read, "Drug addict". Luckily, my hospital became an entire network of doctors and my Suboxone treatment doctor communicated with my surgeons and things became much easier for me.

How terrible to think that this artist, that the entire world loved, could not be saved. However, maybe with this particular type of exposure, Bupernorphine will be made available to more people that need help. Perhaps people will be more interested in it since it was exposed in this incidence.

I wish you all the best. Stay on the path, be strong. I love you all.

Queenie

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:14 pm 

It was in this mornings newspaper. I agree with you Queenie, maybe now Suboxone will be more recognized as a way to treat opiate addiction before the addict dies.

We still don't know exactly what killed him yet. The autopsy will be very interesting to see if the opiate did or did not play a role in his death. He may have just suffered a heart attack and passed away at an early age. It happens, especially with men. I really hope it's not drug related. From everything I've heard about Prince, he was just a very kind soul who tried to help people in need.

r

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a good point about the cause of death. I assumed that he was a chronic pain patient who lost the ability to control his use of opioids-- a situation that I come across very often in the people in my practice. But it could his death could have been unrelated to opioids. The recent need for narcan speaks the loudest about the addiction issue.

Public personas always lose some element of privacy--- the exchange that they make, in my mind, for having the resources to own almost anything a person could desire. I don't know if that exchange is a fair deal, but it is a hard deal to reverse, in any case. I don't mean to tear the guy down over having a dependence on opioids--- if that was the case. Heck, we've all been there. His health problems were HIS business. I wish he could have dealt with his health problems in the same way people deal with any other health problems-- i.e. without needing to find a doc in another state who sent his son to provide medications.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"Prince died of accidental overdose of opioid fentanyl, medical examiner says".
"Cause of death is self administered fentanyl accidental OD".
"After weeks of assisting the Carver County Sheriff's Office, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Minnesota and the Drug Enforcement Administration formally opened a federal investigation with local officials. As part of that investigation, federal prosecutors and DEA investigators will look into how Prince obtained prescription medication and from whom, the agencies said Wednesday".

So incredibly sad Prince could not be saved and that someone so loved and incredibly private, is now under going painful scrutiny that most of us would never experience. Head shaking that bup is not a widely accepted accessible treatment or Prince may still be w us.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

R.I.P Prince!