It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Prices going up.........
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went to my sub doc today.............I am already living hand to mouth. As I am driving to my sub doc to with my gas light on and knowing that I have to pay $165 for today's visit my blood was boiling.........My son's 9th birthday is this weekend and after paying rent , insurance and my sub doc and one week of subutex I have $18 left. I am so sick of living like this..........When I get there my Doc who calls himself the Medical Directior walked me up to the register for my next appointment. I said whatever you do don''t raise your price next month because I just cant afford it. He started sturrtering and walking backwards saying that is not up to me......SO I just asked are you raising the price ........he said it is not up to me...........That was not my question........he said it is not up to me.........the receptionsit was easy to break down.........she said it is going up $45............WTF.....we went from $125 to $165 to now $205..........................Bastards......what a chickenshit walking away like that I swear I wanted to just tell him what I thought about that whole two minutes he spent with me but I held my tongue............Anyone else received noticed that your office visit is going to increase..............

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jim, when I started going to my Suboxone doctor, monthly visits were $100. Not too long after that, she started demanding urine samples at every visit, that was another $25. Not too long after that, she raised her monthly office visit fee to $125, then to $150, then to $175. So, adding in the $25 urine test, which I never failed ANY tests, brought the total office visit to $200.

Get this, after a few months, the receptionist asks me if I have insurance.....like a dummy I said yes. I gave her all of my insurance info thinking that the doctor would charge my insurance and I'd be paying less......NOT!!! On TOP of my $200 cash payment, my doctor started hitting my insurance for another $225, of which my insurance covered $25. So, I was basically paying $400 per month just to see my doctor, who never spent more than 3 minutes me.

Also, NONE of these increases came with any advanced notice. I found out about each increase the day of my appointments, when I walked up to pay. And of course, if I didn't pay, she wouldn't see me that day. Can you believe that shit?

Honest to goodness, the fact that she knew she had us over a barrel was part of the reason I decided to quit Suboxone. It disgusted me so much that she was taking advantage of us addicts that it actually factored into my decision to quit Suboxone.

Have you thought of trying that Suboxone assistance program?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:38 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You know Jim, that really sucks. I am sickened by these stories of greedy doctors.

Is there any other doctors around? Mine is attached to a hospital. It is a family medicine clinic. They accept low income people and people with no insurance. I have insurance so now I pay 18.00 dollars a month to see my doctor. I pay 0 for my sub with the 50 dollar off cupon. Without the cupon I would pay 20 dollars for the sub.

Could you call around and see if they have any family medicine clinics? Or teaching hospitals usually have low income clinics attached to them. Or shit, could you go to your local welfare office and try to get some kind of medical cupons? Or do you know any social workers? They can be good resources for financial needs/issues.

I wish there was something I could do....I get so pissed to hear that these doctors raise the prices and give no warning. Total bullshit.
And Romeo, your situation would piss me off too. I would totally see why that factored in to your decision to quit sub. What a greedy doctor!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:33 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My dr charged 100 bucks , visit for 3 years ( I am off subs have been almost 2 years) when I was getting subs I had to go every month. I still see him for my anti depressants and two months ago he gave me notice that the fee was going up to 120 per visit, which I can live with ( I have insurance but my dr dont take it which is fine). I only go every 3-4 months now... and 20 dollar increase I think is reasonable. My doc also charged 10 bucks for a drug screen which I never have to take anymore since I am not on subs :)

The 200 dollar range just seems so unreasonable, I wouldnt have been able to pay it. I do see alot of time the attitude of doctors of addicts is " well you probably were paying 200 a day for your dope so 200 a month is a deal" which I think is bullshit. But the doctors also know that addicts that need subs will pay what they demand, they almost have a captive audience ( which is so wrong on so many levels)

Post subject: Total Bulls#@%
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:40 pm 

I get so friggin' mad reading these stories over and over again. "It's not up to me", yea right! So what, does he have a partner or two who decided to up the prices?

Part of the problem may lie with how little the insurance companies pay the doctors as a whole. They have found this wonderful loophole to charge cash for Suboxone visits just to make up some of the lost revenue from the ins co's.

Lucky for me I have found two doctors who actually care about their patients. One was in Ca. and the other in Las Vegas, Nv., both large cities and both had dozens of doctors to choose from. But out of all the Dr.'s I called, only one in each city took my insurance as paid in full. No they are not making much money, but each visit they show compassion and always seem interested in how I'm doing.

Sorry Jim, they have you and so many others here between a rock and a hard place.

Rant on.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I feel so sorry for these doctors... Do you realize they can only have a hundred patients per month that they can see charging $100-$300 per visit? It's unfortunate that they have to drive a Porsche instead of a Maserati. And they can only play golf 3 days a week rather than 4 or 5 so they can jam pack their patients in to see them for their precious time for one or two days of the week. And when these honest doctors try to raise the price of their office visits by $75 for a total of 5-10 minutes of their time, while you are so fortunate and lucky to wait over an hour to see them, so they can start planning their vacation to Paris, you people have such a problem with it! Need I remind you that they have to fly first class instead of a private jet internationally? Do you realize they have to suck it up and be satisfied with a whirl-pool bath tub instead of a Jacuzzi next to their pool that’s shadowed by their 10,000 square foot house?

We all need a reminder some times of how lucky we are to pay $200 or more a visit on top of the cost of our medicine for these doctors to put up with us for 10 minutes. We peasants are incredibly fortunate to even be in the same room as these elite doctors. I think we as a whole should start a foundation where we make donations to these doctors who are forced to drive a BMW or Porsche rather than something like an Aston Martin.

The phrase "out of their control" is ambiguous and can refer to the fact that they need a new boat or even them needing to renovate their house by adding a sauna or movie theater. We should gladly accept to pay more when our doctors raise the price of their service, in which the service doesn't change or improve, because it is "out of their control". :lol:

Last edited by Fireman on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I started out paying $500/ visit each month out of pocket. I was desperate and only two doctors prescribed in the area. The reasoning behind the large fee was because it came with the required therapy session. (whatever)

Then I was able to get into the shitty doctor who only cost $100 per visit. But he was a quack and didn't really care about my situation.. so it was a trade off.

The last doctor I saw for a little over a year cost $350/ month.. he was a great doctor who was able to guide me through my taper. So it was worth it but sheesh! How do people afford it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 pm 

Fireman wrote:
I feel so sorry for these doctors... Do you realize they can only have a hundred patients per month that they can see charging $100-$300 per visit? It's unfortunate that they have to drive a Porsche instead of a Maserati. And they can only play golf 3 days a week rather than 4 or 5 so they can jam pack their patients in to see them for their precious time for one or two days of the week. And when these honest doctors try to raise the price of their office visits by $75 for a total of 5-10 minutes of their time, while you are so fortunate and lucky to wait over an hour to see them, so they can start planning their vacation to Paris, you people have such a problem with it! Need I remind you that they have to fly first class instead of a private jet internationally? Do you realize they have to suck it up and be satisfied with a whirl-pool bath tub instead of a Jacuzzi next to their pool that’s shadowed by their 10,000 square foot house?

We all need a reminder some times of how lucky we are to pay $200 or more a visit on top of the cost of our medicine for these doctors to put up with us for 10 minutes. We peasants are incredibly fortunate to even be in the same room as these elite doctors. I think we as a whole should start a foundation where we make donations to these doctors who are forced to drive a BMW or Porsche rather than something like an Aston Martin.

The phrase "out of their control" is ambiguous and can refer to the fact that they need a new boat or even them needing to renovate their house by adding a sauna or movie theater. We should gladly accept to pay more when our doctors raise the price of their service, in which the service doesn't change or improve, because it is "out of their control". :lol:

Fireman, your sarcasm is a work of art. I bow to you...

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am so pissed ..........I got my letter today from my sub doctor that said the price of an office visit was going to not $205 like I heard them talking about but to $250!!!!!!!!!!!!!! per 2 minute visit. I called and said basically said WTF the lady put me on hold for 5 minutes (while they picked straws to see who was going to take my call) Finally this lady gets on the phone and says well the Doctor partnered up with another doctor and they decided to open a second office in such and such.........a very expensive part of town. I said you guys are only opened two days a week why not let this new doctor use the office the other 3 days and keep the price the same..........of course she stuttered and said well I have no say in it other than to say she gets more hours by going to the new office when she is not working there...........I said so the doctor is not satisfied with driving a Porshe he has to raise our prices almost $100 a month to finance his new office and partner..........silence...........I said I will keep my appointment but in the meantime I will look for a new doctor and post on every suboxone website I can find that you don't really care about addicts in recovery you care about MONEY.........2 hrs later the Medical Director called me and said I understand you have some concerns? No not concerns but just blatant abuse of patientns who are trying to get better and there is no reason that I can think of except your own personal gain on people that are desperate. He put me on hold and came back and said I need you to not share with the other patients but since you have been with us for so long we are going to Grandfather you in and keep you at your current rate.............I wanted to say so much but thanked him for his understanding and how great he was as a doctor that I let it go..............

But man I feel sorry for the other patients..........this is bs in my opinion........I will activiely look for a new doctor since I recently found a new job and will have insurance in February........

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:22 pm 

Hey Jim!

Congratulations on your new job! With benefits! I'm really happy for you!

I'm sorry your doctor is being a gold digger though. That office must assume that people are going to be sheep and just take the price hike! Good job being the squeaky wheel. ;)

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes,,, GOOD for you, for saying something.......

Like Amy said, they probably just expect most people to say nothing and
just go with the flow.....

But,, Im glad your price is staying the same, AND Im glad you said something
maybe they'll think twice next time,,, or at least the folks who answer the phones
will be like, OH IM NOT TELLING THEM THAT!!!
About raising the prices I mean.......

have a merry christmas Jim :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

this is what i don't understand.it is literally cheaper for me to go where i have to go and buy mine at less than half the price of a pharmacy.my friend said he gets 90 8mg strips...per month for almost nothing.no insurance either mind you.but i'll have to pay $200 for my 1st initial visit and consultation plus who knows how much per 30 day supply at the pharmacy.these doctors are as bad as the dealers on the street.they know we don't want to go back to using out doc so they charge you what they want knowing that you have no choice but to come back each month if you want your medicine.the whole medical industry is a farce.how these people in the inner cities get scripts for 90 subs,60-90 2mg xanax per month and not pay anything but a small fee blows my mind.these are mostly the same people that flip their meds for dope money...meanwhile they have the answer right in their hands for free.kills me.

worked my whole life and wasn't until i lost my state job due to drugs in 1997 that i lost my benefits,then lost them again when i got seperated from my wife that i now have to pay for everything out of pocket.blood screening,which i need soon if i'm going to compete this coming november,visits and scripts just empties my pockets.if it weren't for friends i'd have no way of staying off my doc,which one doctor had the balls to tell me "well,if you were spending anywhere from $50-300 a day on your habit i'm sure you can work something out." yes,i can but that would bring me to do things i don't want to do to make that kind of money,like rob,lie,cheat,steal,hustle,etc...it's almost like they've no empathy nor sympathy.just fork over that paper you drug addict and see me next month,c'ya!

that's how i view them to be.for goodness sakes,the guy i go to has a more humanistic understanding to this dilemma,but a doctor you'd think would be more prone to a human side.guess not these days.all about the paper they make...shame.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I work for an addictionologist in San Diego. I so agree with y'all about the apalling cost of office visits for Suboxone patients. In this town, there are clearly the "good guys" and the "bad guys". The "good guys" are the ones that truly care and actually want to help. The "bad guys" are out to make lots of money capitalizing on people's misery and sickness. Unfortunately, the "good guys" are all too rare.
The doctor I work for truly cares for his patients; he wants to help them and knows that without help they could die. An office visit was $85 for about 7 years. We raised it a few months ago to $110, but we dropped our price for the initial visit from $500 to $350.
Further, many doctors make their patients return every 1 to 4 weeks. My doctor only asks his patients to come in every 2 to 3 months, once they are stable.
I totally agree with all of you who are frustrated and angry, but take heart! There are some "good guys" out there...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:08 pm 

We love to hear about great doctors here! A few of us are lucky to have found doctors like the one you work with, but there are far too many who just feel like a dollar sign to their doctor.

If I hear of anyone looking for a good sub doc in San Diego I will direct them your way!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

We pay $500 per visit for my husband and I together. It's normally $300/person but since we go in as a couple we get a discounted rate. I know that's a lot of money but honestly I spent way more than that doing heroine and that's how I look at it. I know I could find a cheaper doctor but I really like my doctor. I definitely think it's worth the price. I'd pay anything for my recovery to keep going the way it is. With paying for our appointment and our scripts we have right around $1200 every month in it. This coming month I have to find a new pharmacy because the one I used had to shut down. I'm a worried about where I'm going to get them filled and how much it's going to cost. Regardless the price, we'll come up with it. I spent $80,000 in two months doing heroine. I now have another baby and do not ever want to go back to that lifestyle. Think of everything your doctor is doing for you and your family. I'd pay $1000 a visit just to be able to keep the life that I have now. I've gone to cheaper doctors and the couple I went to came off as just in it for the money. I guess we just have a bond with our current doctor. I think that's important to our recovery. We know he's there for us and not just to make his $500 a month. He's helped us with several other personal things too. Plus these doctors have to go through a lot to run these clinics. Just having to deal with all the crap from addicts is enough that'd I'd charge a lot too. Can you imagine the bs stories they get in there. I set back and listen to them all the time while we're in the waiting room. I just think people should take a look at the big picture. That's all I'm saying.