It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm about 95% sure I'm pregnant. My period is never (ever) late and I just realized a few days ago that I was supposed to get it on 3/4 and to date, this hasn't happened. I'm also having some pregnancy symptoms. AND, I pretty much know when i conceived,due to a little accident with my husband. I wasn't even thinking i might be pregnant until a few days ago when I realized that i wasn't getting my period.... And I've had some cramping too, but apparently this can be normal for early pregnancy.
Anyway, I've got a lot going for me as I have a wonderful, loving, husband and we have a very solid marriage. I have never been pregnant before (and deep down I always wanted to be a mom,but didn't think it was a good idea since I'm on suboxone) - and needless to say, we definitely weren't TRYING to have a baby.
So, I was thinking I better go get a pregnancy test,but have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so can have this verified one way or another tomorrow.
BUT, I'm also scared SHITLESS. I currently take 4 mg's of suboxone daily (2mg's / twice a day) and I'm not sure how my sub doctor is going to react to this possible, well, probable pregnancy. Over the past couple days, i've been reading this forum regularly and trying to focus on all the positive stories. But I think my main problem is that I'm having alot of anxiety over how my sub doctor is going to react. To be honest, i think she'll be supportive and helpful, but I just don't know. i also hope she'll help me find a good OB/GYN that won't treat me like a pile of garbage because i'm on subs. I live in Raleigh/Durham area of NC and am not sure if there are any policies regarding CPS, etc... Again, causing me some anxiety. Plus, I'm a social worker and have worked for the same company for about 6 years and know many of the CPS peeps!
At any rate, I'm just posting this just to put it out there and/or to see if anyone has had experience with this in my area. I haven't talked to anyone about this yet and haven't mentioned it to my family either. By the way,my family is going to be super excited, but they don't know about the subs. So it just kinda sucks that this should really be a happy time for me, but I have to be so scared about it at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on this news. We just had a brand new baby girl about one month ago. I think you will be fine and you sound very smart. Hear relax until you find out for sure but don't worry, things will be fine on such a low dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jonathan's right - many, many women have delivered perfectly healthy babies while still taking suboxone. Many had babies that never had any signs of NAS. Remember that what's best for you is usually also what's best for the fetus. So try to relax and remain optimistic, happy, and as positive as you can. And don't get overwhelmed. Just take things one step at a time and you'll do fine.

Good luck with your sub doc and let us know how it goes. Oh and congrats on your probable pregnancy. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you Johnathan and Hatmaker! I appreciate your encouraging words. Johnathan - I know about your new baby girl as I read all about her on here. congratulations to you! I'm glad she's finally home and doing well. I'm sure you're enjoying life right now!
So today is the day I'll find out what's going on - pregnant or not pregnant? My appt today is with my sub doctor so we'll see how that goes too. I will keep you updated.
Have a great day and thanks again for responding.

Post subject: Good luck!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Do not be afraid to let your Sub doctor know that you are well read on suboxone/subutex and pregnancy. When I told my sub Dr. his first reaction was that he was no longer going to see me as a patient!! He was just going to cut me off just like that. I ended up calling his office until he finally spoke with me (not being afraid to tell anyone and everyone in between about the pregnancy and the possible complications.) I was polite at first, but eventually I told him that it would be morally and logically UNACCEPTABLE for him to disregard me as a patient after multiple years with all of the possible complications it could cause to the unborn baby. He ended up driving to his office that night to write me a script. Hopefully you will not have to deal with that type of thing, but if you do, don't be afraid to use your intelligence to let them know exactly what you know and what could happen..not to mention, how you would react.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Good luck!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eleven wrote:
Do not be afraid to let your Sub doctor know that you are well read on suboxone/subutex and pregnancy. When I told my sub Dr. his first reaction was that he was no longer going to see me as a patient!! He was just going to cut me off just like that. I ended up calling his office until he finally spoke with me (not being afraid to tell anyone and everyone in between about the pregnancy and the possible complications.) I was polite at first, but eventually I told him that it would be morally and logically UNACCEPTABLE for him to disregard me as a patient after multiple years with all of the possible complications it could cause to the unborn baby. He ended up driving to his office that night to write me a script. Hopefully you will not have to deal with that type of thing, but if you do, don't be afraid to use your intelligence to let them know exactly what you know and what could happen..not to mention, how you would react.

Good luck!

WAY TO ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF! Good on ya!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Re: Good luck!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Eleven wrote:

Good luck!

Wow!!! I am so impressed! That is so cool that you stood up for yourself and suboxone in general. Hearing stories about doctors that cut their patients off when a pregnancy is discovered just makes me SICK! I can't wrap my head around it.
Anyway, just had to tell you how impressed I was. So glad that doctor came to his senses.

JenW, any update?

Post subject: positively pregnant
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes Bella, the probable pregnancy was confirmed. i ended up taking a home pregnancy test a couple hours before my dr. appt. because I didn't want to wait any longer. I also thought it would be better to know before I went in just so I could be prepared. Even though I knew I was pregnant, I still felt a sense of shock when a saw that positive result!
So when i went to my doctor and provided my urine sample, I let the nurse know i had a positive pregnancy test in case they wanted to confirm it with one of their own tests. My doctor was extremely supportive,nice and non-judgmental,which i appreciated. I couldn't help myself from shedding a few tears and she asked what my main concerns were, which I indicated were possible withdrawal in the baby as well as the stigma associated with addicts. I'm really concerned about being treated like a lesser person because i'm pregnant and on subs.
My sub doctor assured me I'd be fine on suboxone and indicated that she had no apprehension about keeping me on the medication. She didn't mention putting me on subutex; she just told me that she has treated several pregnant women on suboxone and that things worked out perfectly fine. She also said she would probably not ask me to taper down during my pregnancy either (i'm currently on 4 mgs a day).
Luckily, i live in an area with access to several health care facilities including UNC and Duke University hospitals. My doctor acknowledged my fears of being judged and treated poorly due to my sub use and gave me some contact information for some OBGYN's who have experience with suboxone and pregnancy. Next step is to set up my first appointment.
By the way, i'm only 5 weeks, 2 days pregnant so I've got a long road ahead of me. Furthermore, i've never been pregnant and have no idea what to expect! I haven't told my family about this yet but will probably do so in a couple of weeks, with it being so early on...
@Eleven - I'm so proud of you too for sticking up for yourself and demanding that you and your baby receive proper treatment. You're awesome! Good luck with everything - you're due in the very near future, aren't you? Keep us posted! Any baby stories / pregnancy stories will helpful for me right now since this is completely new. I don't have my mother (she passed away years ago) to tell me what to expect nor do i have sisters. I have an awesome dad and two fantastic brothers and a wonderful husband, though! But all men, and no matter how much they love me and want to help - they don't have the first hand knowledge that a mother or pregnant woman would have. I'll going to be reading this forum daily and love to hear everyone's stories! I'm so happy I found this place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

JenW,

Congrats!! I am excited for you. This is also my first pregnancy and I was very nervous about it. I had pretty bad vomiting throughout the pregnancy, but nothing bad other than that. My baby has also been very healthy during the entire pregnancy..the only thing for me to worry about is the NAS. I am so scared about it..but I really am trying to stay positive. I want to remain calm and level headed during labor..because I can get heated when I feel threatened, especially by ignorant people, but I know that anything rude that I say will only be used against me. In retrospect, I wish that I had researched OB in my area that have dealt with sub. I live in a very large and populated area and am very surprised with the lack of people who deal with sub.

I will update with my experiences as I go through them, and will be glad if any of them help you.

Good luck!!

Oh, if you get really bad nausea and vomiting, ask for a drug called ZOFRAN...it's a drug given to cancer patients to fight off nausea during chemotherapy..it is a miracle drug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

JenW and Eleven- if either of you (or anyone) would like to PM to talk in private, please do so ANYTIME! I recently had a baby (not on subs but on opiates) and have quite a bit of knowledge about the subject. (good things to say, too!) And Eleven took the words outta my mouth re: Zofran- the stuff SAVED me during my pregnancy! Seriously. It's safe, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and definitely makes things a million times easier.
So happy for everyone with all these little babies being born! I used to not want kids and after having mine I could not imagine life without my baby. Congrats JenW & Eleven!!