It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I wanted to see what you all thought about the prescrition drug monitoring program or PDMP. I feel like it is great tool to decrease diverting. However, I do in some ways view this a HIPPA violation. I know that as health care professionals we have to have five forms of ID to gain full access to this system. The only drugs that are logged within the system are nacotics schedule II, III, and IV. The question that I have is this. Who is actually regulates who can gain access to this information. Can police gain access and prosecute patients for seeking or diverting? I want yall's thoughts on this just to see if yall have had experiences with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs are nothing less than antithesis for everything that this country was built upon and intended to stand for. It is a very sad day when people have to sit back and be scrutinized, ridiculed, stalked, harassed and bullied by governments and organizations that serve no real purpose EXCEPT to instill fear in people. These PDMPs are an offshoot of our government's "War on Pain". These programs are weapons that they use in the name of "taking back communities plagued by drug epidemics." In truth, they are venues to pry into every closet of our lives. What is sad is that we have given them the power to do every bit of this. It is only going to get worse. Every acronym agency that exists has been deputized to attack our rights from every possible position.

Now, to answer your question - each state has laws regarding their respective PDMP. Some states only allow LE, and Physicians to view the databases, while others give every government agency and hotshot approval to access. States also differ with regard to where the database is housed and who regulates it. The following site will provide pretty much any answer to any question that you may have. Provides a lot of good information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was going to say the same thing...it depends on the state you live in and their respective laws. Although, I do believe there has been talk of doing a main one at the federal level. I have no idea how close that is to becoming a reality - not very I don't think.

*BTW, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA - it stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree with both of you. We do not have rights in the country anymore. Ok so have you all heard of what President Obama wants to accomplish prior to 2014? He wants ever American to have an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) before then. In the state of Alabama we are required to have five forms of identification to log into and view patients records. However, I have seen some medical staff give thier password to personal who had no bussiness being on there. I hate the PMDP but I can see why that is useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:06 pm 

I'm all for these monitoring systems, even though I got caught doctor shopping by my primary care doctor. I had been getting prescriptions from her and a previous physician. She prompted me to find a pain management doctor, which I did. I was still lying about the extent of my pain to receive extra medication, but at least there were now some safeguards by using one physician.

I feel strongly that anything I do as an addict should not adversely affect people who actually need pain relief and who are following the rules. I hate the fact that we addicts have made life more difficult for honest people who are suffering some debilitating conditions and illnesses. Anything that gives doctors a tool to stop doctor shopping is OK with me.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have a lot of questions about these systems. Can pharmacists access it? I would think so, because they would be considered on the front lines to alert law enforcement. I also would like to know if I have been "flagged" in the system here in Virginia because I have convictions for prescription fraud. I'm a bit paranoid that any pharmacist I deal with will know I've faked scripts.....but I guess it doesn't matter.

I think it is a huge invasion of privacy, but I also think it was a foregone conclusion that these programs came to exist. So many people are getting high and the government can't help itself now that it has the technology. I wonder what the "threshold" is for when they decide to prosecute for doctor shopping...like, after you've filled how many scripts from how many doctors? One way around it I used was to just make up names when I wrote the scripts, then find a pharmacy that is lax about getting identification to pick up narcotics and pay cash. No trail can be created with a different fake name every time.

What's really crazy is how afraid doctors are becoming to adequately treat real pain. I've heard of doctors refusing to give enough morphine to terminal cancer patients because they are afraid the person will become an addict. Good grief!! When my grandmother was dying, she would constantly ask what time it was over and over because she wanted the morphine so badly and apparently wasn't getting enough. Crazy.

Bunny