It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been using about .5 grams of tar heroin a day for about 6 months. I have an appointment with a doctor to get in Suboxone in 2 days. I am very nervous about what to expect the first few days. I have experienced w/d when I have ran out of dope in the past. When I have experienced it, I have not been able to work. I have to work the day after my appointment. I plan on being clean for 24 hours before my appointment. Do you think it provides enough relief for me to be able to work the next day?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:07 am 

Hey there! Speaking from my personal experience when I started, the next day after my induction I felt good enough to do whatever I needed to. My withdrawal was gone and it was the first "normal" day I'd had in a very long time. I don't know what kind of job u have but I think u will be just fine. U should feel better after ur first dose. Good luck!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you do much for your words of encouragement! I've been reading so many posts where people were saying ur didn't work for them. You have made me feel so much better. I am so excited to get off this junk & get back to living my life!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my personal experience, I was able to return to work the next day with no problem, and most doctors say that is ok to go back to work the following day also. The buprenorphine should relieve your withdrawal symptoms well enough that you should be feeling significantly better within an hour or two of taking your dose.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If I remember correctly the first time I took sub I waited ~36 hrs after freebasing 240mg of Oxycontin. Worked like a charm for that so I imagine heroin wouldn't be much different.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks everyone for your positive responses. I have been on suboxone for 8 days now.. it truly is a miracle drug! I waited 24 hours after using heroin to start. I was in full withdrawals, I felt terrible! I had been up all night, throwing up. I took the strip as directed, got in the shower & by the time I got out, I felt fine! Laid down & took a nap & when I got up, I felt like a million bucks. I know one day I will have to get myself off the suboxone but for now, it is allowing me to have a normal life for the first time in a long time. I'm so happy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm very happy to hear that your induction went smoothly, that's great! I was surprised how quickly after starting suboxone, I began to feel like before I ever abused opiates. That new, non dopesick, no craving feeling that sub affords patients is what will allow you to regain normalcy in all aspects of your life affected by addiction. The loss of obsession to use will give you time to repair damaged relationships,fix financial problems caused by addiction, excel at work etc, and work on your recovery without the uncontrollable compulsion to use, hindering your efforts. Some people have to be on suboxone maintenance longer than others, so don't be in a big hurry to get off if you don't have to be. Allow yourself to enjoy feeling normal and healthy again, letting your old interests and hobbies return without worrying about stop dates or tapering just yet. Addiction is a chronic, relapsing disease that deserves any and all effective treatment modalities, and you've only just begun to see the improvement in your quality of life. You've made a wise decision to put your addiction in remission with a proven medication. Please continue to update us on how you're doing and to ask questions if you have any. We're happy to help:)