It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

As some of you might already be aware, I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and am prescribed and taking 4 mgs of suboxone a day. I told my sub doctor last week and she was very supportive and kind, and encouraged me to continue taking my suboxone throughout my pregnancy. She did not switch me to subutex, nor did she even mention it. I'm fine with that as long as I don't absolutely have to be on subutex while pregnant. If I find out that the naloxone in the suboxone is potentially harmful, I will certainly approach my doctor about this.
My primary concern now is to prepare for my first OB visit on April 3rd. While my sub doctor did give me a name of a doctor that works with pregnant women on suboxone, I decided to chose a different doctor. Mainly because after I did some research on this doctor, he is not affiliated with the hospital I would like to deliver in. Furthermore, this doctor is part of a clinic for women who currently abuse opiates and are not yet on subs, so would be coming to this clinic to obtain suboxone, address their addiction, and also receive prenatal care. Because I am already on suboxone and have been working on my recovery for a few years now, I don't feel like going to a clinic and "starting from scratch" so to speak.
After doing some research, I found an OB office just down the road from me that was rated very high by others. At my first appointment, I will need to tell them about the suboxone. I know there have been women who have not told their OB's abot their suboxone prescription, and as tempting as it sounds (to avoid any possible mistreatment), I don't think I will be able to do this. Part of me wants to, but I don't think I could handle the anxiety of NOT telling the OB. But on the other hand, I really want my pregnancy to be as "normal" as possible. Can y'all feel me on this?
My history with abusing opiates goes like this: I have scoliosis and degenerative disk disease. I have been prescribed Vicodin in the past (never regularly but on and off as deemed necessary) when i experienced pain,but didn't have insurance and wasn't able to follow up like I should have. And I would occasionally take pills that others would give me, or buy some off the street until I eventually was taking an opiate every day. Sometimes i would take 4-8 vicodin, sometimes an oxy 40, sometimes i could even get a methadone (10 mg) pill. And of course there were also times when i'd take a little more just because I liked how it made me feel. Long story short, I ended up becoming physically dependent on opiates and needed to have them every single day so I could function. When I realized i didn't want to have to chase pills on a daily basis just so I didn't feel like shit, I decided that I needed some help. Which brought me to a methadone clinic for awhile, and then I transitioned to suboxone. I can say with all honesty that I didn't ever let myself get to the point of stealing, losing my job, ruining relationships, etc. but I knew this could be a possibility if I did not seek treatment. I know I'm an addict, but i feel lucky that I didn't sabotage my life too badly before getting help. And since receiving treatment, i have not relapsed one time. Even when I've had the opportunity to do so with easy access to pills, I never did it.
I will admit that I'm proud of myself that I've been able to do well and have successfully disassociated myself from using friends long ago and now have a good support system and clean friends. But it doesn't take away from the fact that I am an addict and need suboxone right now to keep myself from using.
So I'm going to have to tell my OB about my suboxone use but I can't help myself from being fearful of judgement. I would like to tell her that I've been successful thus far in my recovery but I don't know if that will make any difference if she knows my story or not. I want to be trusted and treated like a normal patient, but with the stigma associated with subs, I don't know how I will be treated. I am hoping that over the next week or so, some of the wonderful women here on this forum can tell me about their experiences with their OB while pregnant and on subs. Were you trusted and treated kindly? Is it worth it to explain that you have done well in recovery? Any suggestions? I would really appreciate any stories or information anyone might have for their first OB appointment and "the big reveal" about being on subs. I tend to be a bit of a worrier (obviously) and just want to have an open, honest, and trusting relationship with the doctor who will be assisting with my prenatal care and delivery. Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First of all, congrats!!! I am sure you will have a healthy pregnancy! Sub had no effect on mine.

As for telling your OB..Just mention it very casually..don't go into detail about your own personal recovery and all that..just mention it like its a scientific fact that YOU take suboxone, and all the jargen you want explaining what it is. But just try to sound like a normal person and they will treat you as such....hopefully. Mine acted like it was just another medication that people take..though that is more due to ignorance than anything, I didn't mind it! I never discussed it further, however, and I know that you want to. Please update and let us know!! Good luck and again, congrats!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think Eleven said it perfectly- Be confident with your doctor, state the facts, and keep it simple. The truth of the matter is that every doctor is different and it's kind of just the luck of that draw... You might be really lucky and have a doctor that is open minded, nonjudgmental, etc., or you could have the complete opposite. All you can control is yourself- Be educated about subs (which I know you are), be confident about yourself and your history, and pretty much the rest of it will be up to the doctor. Definitely take the "less is more" approach at first- don't go into your personal history unless necessary.
You mentioned being tempted to not tell them about the subs..... I don't have any experience with being on Subs during a pregnancy but i was on opiates throughout mine and the stress of keeping that from your OB is insane. It is not worth it. That's just my opinion though...