It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Pregnany questions
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

First off, I'm so excited to be able to speak with people who can give me an opinion on pregnancy and suboxone. Here is my story: I'm 33 years old and have been on suboxone for 3 months for a 3 year long struggle with an addiction to percocet. I began taking percs for a back injury and went wild. Now I'm feeling normal and life is really great. I take 8 mg a day. I want to have a baby. Do I need to stop taking the medication before I start trying to get pregnant? Do I continue on it? Will I be able to deliver the baby and have an epidural? Will the dr and nurses treat me like a dirt bag because I take suboxone? I'm so scared that I won't go through with trying to get pregnant b/c of the suboxone..I don't know what to do? I feel like my addiction has ruined my chance of having a child. If someone could give me some advice on what to do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi summergirl Welcome to the forum. My name is Laura. I'm 29 and I have 3 kids. I haven't had any of them on sub though, so I'll just give you my best answers in my opinion to you questions. Like I said, these are only my opinions...

Do I need to stop taking the medication before I start trying to get pregnant? Do I continue on it?

You can keep taking. Many people take sub through out their pregnancies

Will I be able to deliver the baby and have an epidural?

As far as I know, YES. [thank god , right? Epidurals are AWESOME :-) ]

Will the dr and nurses treat me like a dirt bag because I take suboxone?

Most of the time, no. However, it happens. Unfortunately.

Ok, so now I have some questions for you.... How long do you plan on taking the sub? Do you have any other kids? If you are going to taper off of the sub eventually, have you thought about waiting until you get off the sub to get pregnant? Just curious, that's all. From what I know, some babies do have withdrawals from the sub and some do not. But, I also understand if they do have withdrawals they are minimal. Your sub dr and your OB will work together to make sure you deliver a happy, healthy baby. What an exciting time in your life! I wish you all the best!Keep us posted!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi summergirl and welcome to what I think is a terrific forum full of great information and personal experiences plus alot of great support.
I'm not a mom so I can't answer any of your questions. BUT, here's some blog entries by Dr. Junig relating to pregnancy and suboxone/subutex use. (Subutex is indicated instead of suboxone for pregnant women because it doesn't have the naloxone in it.)

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/?cat=53

Best of luck to you!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you both for replying to my post..It is so refreshing to speak to other women who are also taking this medicine and have similar experiences. Since I'm 33, I'm really thinking about becoming pregnant as I'd like to become a mom (I don't have any children) before the age of 35 - I feel like I'm running out of time because of my age. After reviewing all of the info provided on this site, it seems like the best case scenario would be to taper off of the suboxone prior to getting pregnant. By doing that, I can eliminate all of the additional worries that I have. I could try it and see how it goes and if it doesn't go well, I guess at that point I can decide to try and do it while continuing on the meds. I've been on it for 3 months now and I have never felt better in 3 years! I wonder if I should continue the medicine for at least another 3 months before trying to taper. I just have so many what if's and worries, am I cured yet? But do you ever really get cured?? Ugh. Just being able to vent all of my concerns and get it out in the open is comforting. I just have to discuss the pros and cons with my husband and see what will work best for me. Thanks again for all of the information and support - on my next appt with my sub dr., I will discuss this and get back to everyone and let you know what I've decided (I know you're all on the edge of your seat, LOL) I'm so glad I found this forum. Everyone have a great weekend!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

LOL, I'm actually very interested to hear what you and your sub dr decide. Are you going to any counseling? I think it depends on many things when it comes to deciding how long to be on the sub. My best advice is not to rush it. You have plenty of time left to have a child. Right now, concentrate on yourself and make sure you are at a point where if you were to taper off you would not relapse. It's better to be sure of your recovery and concentrate on that so that when you do get pregnant you can be sure of yourself and your place in recovery. Does that make sense? Im sorry it's late and im exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open so Im not sure if Im rambling. I know the feeling to want to be pregnant and not want to wait, so it's much easier for me to say all these things..... than for you to actually do them and take my advice. And again, it's just my opinion, what really matters is what you and your dr decide is best. LEt me know what your sub doc says.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi! and congrats on your sobriety. I have been on suboxone several years and have had two beautiful, healthy children. My partner and I weren't "trying" to have a baby at the time, although I absolutely wanted to have another child. I did not necessarily want to be pregnant again while on suboxone but it happened and I was stuck with making a decision of whether to continue the medication or not. I remained on buprenorhpine at 6mg. For me it turned out not to be an issue really. I had a wonderful pregnancy and experienced all of the fears, ups, and downs of any normal pregnancy but with the added worry about the birth and what my baby might experience. Well, it turned out fine. I went past my duedate by 2 weeks. I was given cytotec to ripen the cervix and started contracting. The epidural was a beautiful thing, once it was finally put in place at 7cm... Postpartum pain was easily controlled. There is always the possibility that a healthcare worker might have some kind of judgement against the mother on buprenorphine, but I am realizing that every person experiences struggles at some point with something whether it be anger, overeating, unforgiveness etc, etc. While we are here on this earth we are ALL vulnerable. You have addressed your problem and want to be healthy, that is wonderful. I hope your sub doctor is knowledgeable on the subject and can help you with this decision. Some are just plain ignorant about suboxone despite going through special training to receive the certification to dispense the drug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the biggest thing for you may be that few doctors want to prescribe subutex UNTIL you are pregnant and very few doctors will intentionally prescribe you subutex so you can GET pregnant because they are afraid of the unknowns. I know my doctor requires women to be on some type of birth control while on suboxone. I am not saying she is correct. She asked me if I knew WHY you shouldn't get pregnant while on suboxone and I said "no" I don't. She never answered the question which tells me she can't answer her own question. I am NOT on birth control but I am also very unlikely to get pregnant anyways.

I completely understand the feeling that narcotics may have ruined your chance to get pregnant. I think that this is a decision you will have to make on your own without the help of the doctors because no one will want to be responsible for giving you a "yes" answer. All you will hear is "no". You would be taking a risk because no one really KNOWS what happens long term for these children. BUT.......if it was me, I would stop looking at studies having to do with suboxone specifically and I would look at long term effects of children born to mothers addicted to pain killers in general or methadone. Since the brain really doesn't distinguish between the different kinds of pain killers, if there are long term effects to children born in withdrawal from percocet then likely there would be long term effects of those born to suboxone or subutex. Just my opinion as there is no research to tell me this is correct.

Life is a series of risks. You take a risk when you get in your car or get on a plane. You have to decide how much risk you are willing to assume and how much risk you are willing to allow your child to assume.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well I am 33 weeks pregnant and on subutex. In my opinion you should taper off suboxone before you get pregnant. If I had known I was going to have a baby I would have absolutely done this. This is mainly because being on subutex while pregnant opens up a whole new can of worms of things to worry about. Although withdrawals in the baby seem to be mild, I still worry so much about my baby being sick when he is born. The doctors do treat me differently, many of them have no clue that suboxone is completely different than methadone. Some of them are very nice, others are not at all. Most of them are judgemental. Also worrying about CPS being involved when my baby is born terrifies me. Not to mention that I am so upset that there is a huge possiblity they will take him away from me for the first 72 hours to monitor him, and that they may even say he has withdrawals just because they are labeling him as addicted. This is going to impede bonding time and establishing breastfeeding, which are two very important things to me.

Everyday I wish I wasn't on this drug when I got pregnant. Its a long scary road because basically once you are pregnant you are stuck. You have the option of going off it while pregnant but the consensus is that its too dangerous, and can cause miscarriage in the first trimester, and preterm labor in later trimesters.

I just wish I could have a normal pregnancy with a normal delivery, not have the doctors look down on me and not have the constant worry about them calling CPS on me, or treating my baby with methadone after he is born and making it worse.

Whatever you decide good luck to you, I just wanted you to hear from someone who is actually pregnant on subutex and how terrifying it really is. Its easy for people to say its not that bad, but when its your baby, the most important thing in the world to you, growing inside you who could possiblely be born addicted, it really can be the scariest feeling in the world, not to mention the shame and guilt.

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:44 pm 
Hi summergirl and welcome to the forum. The flip side to justagirl's point of view is that the danger of active addiction far outweighs any danger of being on Subutex. Three months is still very early recovery (and no, you're never really cured, imo) So you have to weigh the risk of relapse into your analysis. It sounds like you have been reading the threads here and the link Mel gave you to Dr. J's blog is excellent. Please don't forget to take care of yourself first and formost. Back when I had my first baby 12 years ago there was a lot of debate as to whether it was safe for a woman to be on anti-depressants while pregnant. I was forced to stop breastfeeding to go on an anti-depressant. Now it is more accepted that it is less risky for a baby to be exposed to anti-depressants than to be born to a depressed mother. I think over time the views on Sub will go in that direction too. I wish you all the best. Take your time and make sure you are OK first.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

first off congrats on your recovery!! thats great. isnt it wonderful to feel like a normal person again? i too have been on sub but i have for yrs. i got pregnant and was on suboxone. i was switched to subutex, which is told to be dafer for pregnancy. luckily, i found an ob in my area that specializes in addiction and pregnancy. also, the hospital that he delivers at is known in MA to be the best around because their special care nursery also specializes in babies with dependancy. i had my baby last monday and unfortunately he is still there. i was on only 4mg a day of subutex during pregnancy and my son is suffering withdrawels. i have friends who were on 16mg during theirs and other friends who were on methadone and their babies didnt. everyone is different. i would hope that the nurses would not do that to you but unfortunately you will still feel that way. good luck. you can have a baby on medication. of course, if you can not do that, it would be better for you and the baby..but the chance of you relapsing is far more dangerous. good luck