It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I NEED ADVICE!! I'm currently taking suboxone and weaning. However I donnot have a script . I've been weaning myself successfully over the last month but found out I'm pregnant. I'm scared because I don't have a valid prescription ( i did several years ago but don't think that matters) I'm at 1.75 mgs now and need to make an OB appointment. Im struggling as to whether or not to go to the local clinic and then make an OBGYN appoinment of vice versa. CPS involvement scares me so much PLEASE ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MORE THAN APPRECIATED. I am commited to being clean.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are so many variables, and so many different paths you can take. I'm assuming you are planning to have the baby, given your comments about seeing an OB. That decision is not an issue for some people, but I don't want to make assumptions.

The next decision is whether to continue your taper or not. If you do continue your taper, you won't be able to use 'comfort meds' without introducing risk of miscarriage or birth defects. I realize that people sometimes take benzos, clonidine, or other sedatives during pregancy, but it is unlikely you will find a new doc who is going to assume that risk--- and you really cannot be treating yourself with those meds during pregnancy.

So the choice is to taper the rest of the way, or stabilize on buprenorphine during pregnancy. A taper will be hard, and not healthy for you or the baby. Your appetite and sleep will be disrupted by tapering further, and you may become clinically depressed-- which is not good for a developing fetus either.

The difficulty and risk is great enough, in my opinion, to decide to stabilize on buprenorphine until you are no longer pregnant. Women becoming pregnant while taking 'street buprenorphine' is not all that uncommon; I've had a couple women referred to me by social services in that situation. I realize that dealing with social services if a frightening thought-- but realize that in every case, CPS wants ONE thing-- for mother and baby to stay together in a stable home. CPS does not 'want' you baby. They want YOU to be a good parent-- period. If you are not actively using agonists or other drugs, things will work out fine.

You need to start looking for a buprenorphine prescriber ASAP, and ask your OB to refer you if at all possible. If you cannot find one, you are left hoping that social services are bright-enough in your area to support your use of buprenorphine.

You may have to be more open than you planned about what is going on in your life.... and sometimes, in the long run, that isn't a bad thing. As they say at meetings, just do the next right thing each day-- and you will get through this. But now, more than ever, it is important that you are open and honest with everyone who works with you-- because if you aren't , you will have a harder time finding people to advocate on your behalf.

Good luck to you, and to your baby. Things will work out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SoscaredSoscared: you really should try and get on subutex. Not suboxone while pregnant. Even though you are weaning yourself down, it is still not truly safe for the baby.

I completely understand what you are feeling because I myself was buying subutex off the street whole pregnant. I was super lucky and got into a clinic so that way when he was born cps was not involved. Anddddd from personal experience, PLEASE TELL UR OB THAT YOU ARE TAKING IT! I didn't at first because of howwww Scared I was that she would call cps or something n I would lose my baby. & it took me awhile to tell, longer thn I should have and I am still ashamed of myself for tht, but anyhow, put it this way, by the time I bucked up told her, my placenta had already stopped working, NOT saying tht it was th3 subutex fault or anything like tht, but IF I woulda told her from the beginning, maybe she could have prevented it or something, but anyhow, by the time I told her, tht night I had a c section and hello baby!

Now my baby was born perfect, I got really lucky and had God on my side, because he didn't need withdrawal medications or anything. I jus breastfed and weaned him off of it, because they get way less through breastfeeding then they do while they are in our belly.

But seriously start taking subutex, even if it is a tiny bit, it is safer than the regular suboxone.

Goodluck to you and ur baby, and if you need any advice or ever want to talk, feel free to message me. I will never pass judgement on you or anyone else, because I have been there.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hear you AMS--- the best thing during pregnancy is to avoid meds that are not necessary, and naloxone offers no benefit in addition to plain buprenorphine. But naloxone is not dangerous, in any way, toward fetal development. It is classified as safer than SSRI's, blood pressure meds, etc--- and far, far safer than meds that treat seizure disorders or bipolar disorder. Those meds can cause problems in 2-3% of babies-- and again, naloxone is classified 2 levels above those meds, i.e. the risk of fetal harm is on the order of 1 in a thousand, not taking into account that when taking Suboxone, less than 3% of the naloxone is absorbed--- and that naloxone that IS absorbed is metabolized within 30 minutes.

There is not reason for ANY patient to be worried about taking a naloxone-containing form of buprenorphine during pregnancy. Maybe some malpractice attorney gets his undies in a bundle over the idea.... but from a scientific perspective, it is a NON- issue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi! just following up here with how everything went after you had the baby.. I'm legally prescribed subutex and I am weening. I'm currently down to 1 mg a day.
were you able to ween off completely? if so, what kind of symptoms did you experience, mental and physical?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am currently on subutex and breastfeeding, I was on 4mg a day during pregnancy and baby was perfectly healthy with very low NAS scores and needed no medication for withdrawal symptoms. I already have a lower milk supply than most because I am on medication. I would greatly appreciate anyones experience with weaning from breast milk... when did you start weaning (how old was baby) and how did you do it? I have heard that the withdraw from the breast milk can be worse than at time of delivery... Please share experiences with me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I left a comment for you on the other thread... the metabolism of buprenorphine prevents significant absorption of the medication in nursing babies, so don't fret over the issue. There are some challenges to weaning babies off the breast, but there isn't enough buprenorphine in breast milk to cause problems!