It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all. I cannot tell you how many times I've been on these forums during times of curiosity, or times of need. SO many times over the last 6 plus years!! Only recently I finally found a reason to post myself and i am hoping someone can help me out.. or just simply listen to me vent I guess? lol :)

Just a short history, I had a really bad opiate addiction problem.. started off as simple Vicodine.. and slowly eventually I worked my way up to snorting Oxycontin 80s.. sometimes a few in one day.. for years. Well I finally just got sick of wasting the money and I had a close friend who was prescribed Suboxone so I started buying hers from her illegally- I did that for about one year and then when tax time came around and it did not hurt me so much financially I figured WHY NOT just go to a sub dr. and have these legally so I never have to stress. Sometimes the girl I got them from would sell to others and run out to sell to me and it just stressed me out! I hated not knowing for sure I was going to be well or not. It was always a gamble I just could not take anymore.

Okay.. so I started my Suboxone program and life felt so much better!!!!! I have been on the program for a little over 2 years.. and I got the news I am PREGNANT. Such exciting news for us. But its sad that the first thing that came to mind was worry about my medicine.. is it safe? will my dr. keep me on the program? will he switch me? will my OBGYN be supportive? will my baby have NAS? just all the normal worrisome issues popped up and then I felt so much hate for myself that Ive put myself in this position. I have one other daughter who is 8.. and I had nothing to do with painkillers with my pregnancy with her... so a lot of guilt started to take over.

I just found out we are pregnant, I found out March 20th 2014... I called my Suboxone doctor the day that test came up positive.. It took him almost one whole week to decide if he wanted to keep me or not. He actually was NOT sure he would keep me. I guess when women get pregnant while going to him.. he recommends them to a high risk clinic? But I have insurance! I have a good dr. . I don't need some high risk clinic! And when I expressed to him that My OBGYN is okay with me being on the meds.. he decided he would keep me on as a patient SUCH A RELIEF!! That day was an excellent day for me! Of course he switched me over to Subutex! I had my first appointment with my OBGYN and thank the heavens above he is TOTALLY FINE of me being on Subutex... and he is very supportive. He delivered my friends baby (the one I would buy the subs from) and her baby was perfect with no issues. (I try to remain hopeful)

Now my problem or worry is coming in here. My family does not know that I have been taking Suboxone for the past 2 years. They do know I had a pill problem but think I just got clean cold turkey or maybe they didn't realize how bad it was, I guess. They have really strong negative opinions on suboxone which frustrates me to no end.. which is why i just kept it to myself. The only person that knows is my wonderful Boyfriend of 11 years- he's a major support for me. He's stood in my corner through so much BS!

So I am not worried about the medication subutex- Ive done my research and feel confident about my choices, I have a friend who gave birth to a beautiful baby girl NO NAS. Im praying everyday mine can be as smooth but there is ALWAYS that worry in the back of my mind.. what if my baby shows signs of NAS... is that the way I want my family to find out that Ive been taking this medicine? It scares the sh*t out of me you guys. They have no idea.. but if my newborn goes in withdrawels my family will know! Im really close to them.. my mom was in the delivery room with my 1st and will be with this one.

If the baby does have NAS... I've read some babies stay in the hospital for over a month... there is NOWAY I could explain that one to my family without telling them the truth then Ill feel like a huge POS.

Maybe this is just me venting to some women who might understand me. I guess there are no real answers to this issue besides telling my family prior to birth which I WILL NOT do.

From what Ive read its such a "up in the air" type of thing.. some babies have it.. some babies don't. Im so freaked out and Im constantly googling things and reading horror stories.. but then reading some really amazing stories too and I just keep praying Ill be back and writing an amazing birthing story too! :) Give more ladies like me hope! <3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 am 

I guess that my advice would be that you research some other reasons that babies sometimes have to stay in the hospital for a period of time. Jaundice is one reason I can think of. Tell your mom that you and your husband have decided to not allow anyone else in during the delivery this time. Warn the nursing staff that no one besides you and your husband can know what medications you are on. Mention HIPPA and the liability that goes with HIPPA violations, (just don't be mean about it).

It sounds like perhaps your family/mom doesn't recognize privacy boundaries, but you can enforce them with the help of the hospital staff. It's not their business!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:59 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi there,

I haven't really posted in this forum either, just read a lot of advice. I wanted to tell you I was pregnant and my doctor kept me on suboxone the whole time. I was on 8-10 mgs most the pregnancy, towards the end I wiened as much as I could, I was taking 2mg a day at the point I delivered. My baby had no signs of NAS. Of course that is your main concern throughout the whole pregnancy, delivery etc. Its so nerve racking and frustrating. The whole process.. finding the right doctors, hospital. I wanted to tell you my family didn't know either, and my mom wanted to stay in the delivery room too. Our stories are very similar. If you ever need someone to talk to or express your fears to, I get it.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there…I am new here also and looking for a pregnant lady on subtex who may be interested in writing back and forth throughout this journey…also, did ya'll see the new law in TN…I am from TN and this is very disconcerting….please let me know anyone who is interested…thank you

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy- Thank you so much. I never even thought to do that. Your right... my mom is very over-bearing and its overwhelming, I know she just means well (but knowing that does not always help). Im def. going to express the HIPPA.. great thinking!!!!! You've been a life saver to me right now.. now I feel so much better. Its like a wave of relief that I haven't felt in a while just rushed through my body. Im going to start looking up reasons a baby might stay longer in a hospital now because technically like you said nobody at the hospital could actually tell my family why the baby was there unless we said is was okay or we told them ourselves. That makes sense.. can't believe I didn't think of that sooner! Going to sleep a lot less stressed tonight.

THANK YOU <3

Ann- also thank you for sharing your story with me. It makes me just feel more normal to know there are many more women out there that might be living what Im living right now. Its so scary. I know I will never fully feel good until Im getting wheeled out of the hospital with my baby.. no NAS.. just days after delivery. Were you worried about weaning at all? My OBGYN told me whatever I do.. NOT to wean during pregnancy at any time.. Maybe he's just being safe??