It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Okay, so, I have been on Suboxone since November 2012. I got pregnant in the middle of December and found out obviously in the middle of January. So, I go to make my next appointment with my suboxone doctor and I am honest and tell them I'm pregnant and they say, "He cannot see you. It's against his policy to see a pregnant woman." I flew off the handle. I said so do you want me to withdrawal and risk having a miscarriage because I pay you hundreds of dollars and you WON'T TREAT ME?? She was like there is nothing I can do. It's against his policy. I was like that is such crap. So I called another suboxone doctor and he says he will accept me and thinks its bull that my other suboxone doctor did that. However, I cannot get into that doctor til March 14th (3 weeks from now) because of his appointments being out that far. I don't know what to do??? I can't be withdrawing. I don't have suboxone to last me til then. He'll give me Subutex anyways because being pregnant you are not supposed to have the naloxone... But I mean I don't know what to do. I told my OB about it and he just said there wasn't anything he could really do cause he's not licensed to prescribe Suboxone and I was like I KNOW but I can't be withdrawing, so he basically hinted that I make do until my appointment, as in get them off the streets so I'm not withdrawing.

This is driving me nuts! I have 3 weeks to go and I am so worried about my baby because I do not have money to be getting anything off the streets even if I could find it (and I can't). I don't think that my old suboxone doctor can necessarily refuse to treat me because I'm pregnant can he? I don't know!!! Argh! I'm worried that if I go thru the withdrawals that something is going to happen to my baby. I am 10 weeks along. Any advice? I just don't know what to do until March 14th. After then I will have Subutex and be fine... it's just until then I don't know what to do and I don't want anything to happen to my baby.... Please help....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

That is absolutely awful. I really am in disbelief that a doctor would do that just because you are pregnant. I have heard of doctors cutting people off cold turkey becasue they have failed a drug test, or ran out before there prescription ended but never becasue of a patient finding out they were expecting.

The first thing I would do is contact the state medical board and tell them what has happened. I would also suggest that you start tapering right now. I do not know what your dose is, but ideally you want to take the least amount as COMFORTABLY possible...it will be best for you and your unborn baby.

If you can somehow manage with what you have(getting your dose down safely) perhaps you can make it until the new doctors appointment. The other thing I would suggest is calling other doctors around. You can also try pleading with the new doctors office to get you in sooner.

The last resort in this situation would be to go to a public hospital's emergency room if and when you run out. Tell them everything that has happened, that you are in WDS and ask if there is anything safe for you to take to help ease the WDS and protect your unborn baby from miscarriage. I do not know if the ER can give you Subtuex or not, but maybe they can or at can at least help some of your WDS especially if your BP/heart rate goes up(like mine does when I try to get off).

I am really sorry you are in this situation.
Keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would get a letter from your new doctor explaining that you will be starting treatment with them in 3 weeks. I would give the letter to your previous doctor and explain that you need a small refill to hold you over until you're able to get in with your new doctor. Let them know that you're not prepared to stop or taper without any current medical supervision for the sake of your health and your unborn baby's well being.

Your prev doc would have to be a real SOB to not understand this. Follow through again, it can't hurt..IMO. Fax them.. call them.. email them.. Be persistent and to the point.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 pm 

You've already been given great advice, but I would add I more thing. If you can research online and find a scholarly/scientific article showing the risk of going through withdrawal during pregnancy, print it out and bring it with the letter from your new doctor. If all else fails, I think you're going to have to squeak out some money to buy sub illegally. I know it's not optimal, but it's better than harming your pregnancy. Good luck!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am sorry I cannot offer any help other than you are in my prayers, and I hope everyting works out for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

First of all, thank you all so much for your fantastic advice, and prayers of course!

I am still 2 weeks away from seeing my new doctor to get prescribed Subutex. The only good news about that is, is that now I have my insurance set up so that I don't have to pay ANYTHING for the visit or for the Subutex so that helps me THEN...

Now, however, I have still been struggling. I have been able to find a few suboxone/subutex off the streets with scrounging up what little cash I can and making them last me as long as I can, so the WDS haven't been too terrible and if they have, it's only been for a day or so and quite tolerable..

I just was able to get here on the forum and read all your replies, so I am definitely going to get a letter from my new suboxone doc and try to get my previous one to do something until I can get in on March 14th.. That is a good idea. I have called them several times and they had just kept telling me the same thing, against his policy blah blah blah... but I am going to hound them just to see.

Also, how would I go about contacting the state medical board to make them aware of what my previous doctor did to me? I'm not really familiar at all with that type of stuff.

Oh, and I have called my new sobo doctor's office several times to try and get an earlier appt and everytime they say that they are booked out for months.. so I gotta make do I suppose. And try the getting a letter from my new sobo doc to give my old one...

Furthermore, I want to thank you all SO MUCH for how you have helped me. and if it's not a problem, more advice would be fantastic. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:02 pm 

I'm so glad to hear that you've been getting through this OK so far. And that's fantastic news about your insurance! If only your appointment wasn't still 2 weeks away! You sound resourceful, though, and I'm sure you will find a way through the next couple weeks.

I don't have any knowledge on how to reach your state medical board, especially since I don't know your state. But I decided to look up how to file a complaint with Colorado's state board and it was quite easy. I googled "Colorado state medical board complaint" and it took me about five clicks to get to a complaint form to print and fill out. I think you should be able to find it in your state, but if you run into problems PM me and I can help you investigate.

Amy