It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:39 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Husband and I both take strips (me less than 4mg a day now that I am expecting).... My life has become unbelievably better since we met each other and sobered up. But now we became pregnant and feel scared of what can happen since I am technically hooked on subs and w/d if I dont have em. I do not have a script... Maybe some encouragement, or something..? Should I be terrified? Can I ween off without having w/d's? I have about 30 weeks to go...approx. OB this Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there....

it may not be the best idea to go off sub, while pregnant...and honestly, there's been more than one woman post on here,
that didnt have thier own perscription,,,,,,and we're fine.

Now that's not ALWAYS the case, NO.

one woman, did not get tested,,,, One, got an Rx AFTER she had the baby......

here's a couple of threads I suggest you read, and TAKE THE ADVICE,,, I put in the one, to kat........

about the letter, I mean.

hope this helps, let me know, if you have any more questions....

Here's a blog post about the percentage rates of newborns that experience withdrawl..
ITS VERY LOW,,,extremely low..
http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/withdra ... uilt-trip/

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7073

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7239 ~~~ where I talk about the letter

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7814

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7182 a few ppl post that they had NO test while at the hospital, having their babies

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you so much for your response. This is SO scary for him and I. And my husband is scared I am going to hurt our baby, but he also doesn't want me to w/d. We should tell our OB right? I am afraid that we are going to have all kinds of problems arise, but I feel like I have to tell the dr. Thank you again for your reassurance and encouragement.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:33 am 

I think you should go with your instincts about telling your OB. I do understand the reasons that some people don't tell their OB, but I think that you and your husband would feel better with him/her knowing. If you find that your OB is really judgmental or starts giving you wacky advice, please find another OB. There have been many women who have been pregnant and given birth on suboxone, so your OB should know something about it by now.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and keep us posted!

Amy

Post subject: My first OB appt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:52 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

:lol: :) My first OB appt went GREAT!! The nurse practitioner was very understanding, and told me that during my next appt (Jan eight), I would have an ultrasound and the Dr. will give me some information on where to go for help. I am hoping a dr can supervise me with coming off suboxone during the end of my pregnancy. After giving birth I plan to start up again. I believe I truly NEED it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:09 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Well, I thought my first ob appt went great...but now I am a "high risk" pregnancy and my doctor is trying to force me into methadone treatment or some treatment like it to basically become "legal". They are scaring me to death about the whole thing telling me that my baby will be born addicted and that I must comply and make this a "safer" matter for our baby. I would do the methadone treatment but I honestly feel like I can't afford the 100 dollars a week to go. I think the most affordable option for me will be to taper myself. I am sure my doctor probably would be against it bc they really want me to be supervised medically throughout the process. Any taper suggestions? I feel stuck, and almost regret even telling my doctor now. The hoops they are expecting me to jump through seem impossible. And they are definetly treating me like an old fashioned junkie. I just don't know. My husband feels disappointed by me also, because ofcourse he would like the old fashioned mommy instincts to fix all of these problems. Gosh this sucks and it is so scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:11 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am at 12 weeks right now. If anyone has any suggestions plz help. I am in Knoxville area...if anyone has any subutex dr. names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:13 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

OH yeah...one more question......why do you think the withdrawl in newborns is so random??? It seems as though they would either wd from sub or not. But from what I understand, some babies do and some babies don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:48 pm 

I'm sorry that you're going through all of this turmoil and angst about what to do for your pregnancy. I suggest that you start researching as much as you can. Go back to the link that Amber suggested. I think this is one of them:

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/withdra ... uilt-trip/

Dr. Junig has a total of 12 articles on suboxone and pregnancy. Read through all of them! Then look at the articles that he got his information from. Become as educated as you can about this issue! I believe that studies have shown that subutex (which is a generic and therefore cheaper) is less likely than methadone to cause withdrawal symptoms in infants. I haven't looked at the studies, but Dr. Junig has and mentions that in at least one article.

Once you are educated, talk to your OBGYN. Bring copies of the articles or studies to back you up. People have a much harder time treating you like a junkie when you are presenting them with evidence! You have to advocate for your baby and yourself! If you don't, nobody else will. If your doctor still won't listen and is set on methadone as a course of action, you may have to change doctors.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My daughter is 8 months old now and by the end of my pregnancy I was taking 24mg of subutex and my daughter had absolutely NO withdrawal symptoms. I dont have much time but I just wanted to say a few things.. First, My doctor specializes in sub and pregnancy, here is what she told me...

-I thought of getting off at one point too and she told me absolutely not.. everytime you feel withdrawal so does your unborn baby and if you try getting off during your 1st or 3rd trimester you risk either having a miscarriage or a pre-term birth. Stopping sub during pregnancy is not a good idea any way you look at it.

-Babies born on methadone are almost guaranteed to withdrawal at birth, babies born on sub have a very small chance and the amount you take has absolutely no effect on whether your baby will suffer withdrawal. (i just put that out there because sometimes i read where pregnant women think if they taper to the lowest dose possible that they are lessening the chance of withdrawals in their baby when really they are just putting themselves at risk for a relapse.) The dose you take is irrelevant.

-Its better to stay on subs because if you get off during pregnancy and your not ready to be off them you are of course greatly increasing your risk for a relapse.

-You being considered a "high-risk" pregnancy is not a bad thing, it just means they will watch you a little closer to make sure everything is going well, maybe more sonograms and thats about it (which is good because you'll get to see your baby more :wink:) , You'll still be considered "high-risk" even if you taper off the meds just because you were on them in the beginning.

In my opinion, the OB you are seeing is not very educated on suboxone treatment, it sounds like he thinks its the exact same as methadone which it is not. If I were you I would start looking for doctors to treat you with subutex.. stay on the sub and enjoy your pregnancy without spending the whole time worrying. This is supposed to be one of the greatest times of your life, dont let anything take that away from you. You are doing the right thing to stay on sub, dont let anyone, even an uninformed OB scare you into tapering off or switching to methadone. If you have to, find a new OB. Read as much on this forum as you can about subs and especially subs and pregnancy.. educate yourself.. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask. Everyone on this forum is here to support eachother. Please dont listen to anyone that tells you that you are doing the wrong thing by staying on subs though, honestly its the best thing you could do for you and your unborn child. By the way, welcome to the forum!! Learn as much as you can around here and please keep us updated! Best of luck to you and congrats on your baby!!

Post subject: please read my post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I posted right under your post. You probably aren't feeling property pain relief because its the naloxone in the Suboxone that makes you feel different, the strengths of the governorships are not different from Subutex to Suboxone. They longer you are off of the med the better you are. Unfortunately you are going to be judged. I was given NO pain relief because I was on Suboxone and I wasn't even on itfor addiction. For the safety of you're baby you do have to tell them you are on it. This can cause SIDS and other serious complications. The chance of your baby withdrawingfrom Durex is close to nothing but they do have to assess the situation for the baby's health. Don't worry about being judged, you never have to see these people again, however they do have to treat you with a certain level of care. If you don't feel that is meet, be a Bitch if you have to and demand to speak with a pain management doctor that knows about the medication. Problem is these nurses depend on google for their info. Suboxone/subitem comes up as a narcotic...all of a sudden baby us withdrawing and you are an addict. This is frustrating to me. I just had my daughter last wed, and she had been in the NICU since because they are testing her as an addict baby even though nothing is wrong with her and now I'm at the mercy of them releasing her. Please tell them the truth because if your baby does go thru withdrawl and you are st home, you won't know what to do and like I said it can cause sudden death. I am by no means trying to scare you, just letting you what I'm experiencing. Make sure you can access a suboxone doctor that your hospital can contact, like if they have a detox ward or if yore doctor can give you an emergency number. I will tell you this. I had a c-section and the more you talk about you're pain and ask for relief the more they are going to accuse you of drug seeking. I sat there for 3 days with no meds. An epideral worked just fine for the procedure, it was the pain that was there when that wore of that was a killer. If you need to talk I'm here..please don't hesitate to ask questions our if you want to talk I can give you all the information I should've had before I delivered.

Post subject: withdraw
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

At 4mg a day you should have no problems getting off without withdrawing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

A couple things I wanted to point out.. There is NO evidence whatsoever that sub increases the risk of SIDS.. Dr. J actually wrote a blog on this very subject, here is the link to it...
http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/does-su ... ause-sids/
Please read that over.. I do not want you scaring yourself over anything like that. Second 4mg of sub is still a VERY large dose, 2mg is a very large dose and it is not recommended to go off at either dose, unless you are one of the lucky ones you definitely will suffer withdrawal. Some people taper down to 0.025 and still suffer withdrawal, some even way lower than that. 2 or 4mg may sound like a low dose but it is VERY far from it. You can actually read the "Stopping Suboxone" section in the forum and get an idea of many different tapers that have been done and how low they tapered before jumping and their experience with it. Im not trying to be rude in any way, I just definitely do not want the wrong information out there, especially since youre pregnant. Im sure others will be along and can give you some more info but for now please read those two things so you know. Hope everything is going as well as it can be for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Here are some other blog posts from the doctor that owns the forum about pregnancy and suboxone & about withdrawal in the newborn, about pain management if having something like a C-section & about whether Suboxone or methadone are safer during pregnancy.. Please if you have time, read them over.

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxon ... -newborns/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/bupreno ... d-addicts/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/pregnan ... -suboxone/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxon ... -newborns/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/anesthesia/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxon ... -suboxone/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you all very much for your informative responses. I should clarify that my "4 mg" dosage lasted about a week, but I was in wd quite a bit bc my body is so used to 8 mg or more. I am bk on my 8 mg now to avoid any sneezing and or just feeling like total crap. It really was unbelievable how the half life starts to wear off and your body starts saying....where'd the sub go!!! I printed off some local dr names....and the first one I called takes my insurance and scheduled me an appointment. I was expecting to call doctors for hours or days before I found one that would even touch me with a 10 foot pole...pregnant and without opiates in my system...(well...pills...you know what I mean..) But regardless, as easy as 1 2 3, my appointment was made on my day of conveinenence and also a fairly convienent time.. I love good news on this roller coaster.. : ) Thank you all again so very much. You have all been great help. My fingers and toes are crossed!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I would also like to say that my appointment is for a suboxone dr....NOT a methadone clinic.... which is what my husband and I would prefer also!!! (no hard feelings to methadone...but I am scared that I would get high on it...and REALLY like it...lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This happened with someone I know as well. The doctors push women onto methadone, not because it is any better or safer, but simply because there is a lot more data about it and years more experience with it. The few studies that HAVE included Suboxone seem to indicate that it's the better choice. In addition to educating yourself, you will probably have to print out the articles and educate your doctors, too. I hope you can find a doc who will work with you. The woman I know refused to go on methadone (having been on it before and had serious issues), and her docs FORCED her to go off Suboxone. She ended up relapsing and it was a disaster.
Be a strong advocate for yourself, and hopefully your husband will come around.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

In my opinion, sub is the better option anyway. With methadone your baby is almost guaranteed to withdrawal at birth, where with subs you only have a small chance of that happening. Im glad you went back to 8mg instead of 4mg.. definitely stay at a dose that youre comfortable and feeling good. I actually had to increase my sub dose because as my pregnancy progressed, my blood volume increased so I needed to take a bit more meds. Lilly really gave some good advice. I hope everything goes well at your appointment :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:02 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Lily, Beautiful....and all of my friends/responders on here...I feel as though sub is a better option for me and my pregnancy also. I am basing that totally on what I have learned from this fantastic forum. You are all VERY much appreciated.
My husband couldn't believe they put pregnant women on methadone, but me on the other hand was remembering bk to the days of taking a wafer....and let's just say I KNOW I still NEED suboxone for sobriety. Once again, I am not speaking ill of methadone, but that stuff used to mess me up. I'm glad we left that doctors office to continue looking for subutex doctors. And I truly hope that I have a happy ending, like some of you, and so many on this site.
Once again, the knowledge, strength and support this site has brought me is phenomenal. So incredibly thankful I found this so early in my prego journey. THANK Y'ALL!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I will also still consider changing ob's. Once I have a subtex doc, I am going to (hopefully) get they're guidance w ob selection.