It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I'm pregnant!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Over the past year I have had 4 patients on suboxone who have become pregnant. So far, one has delivered and the other three are doing fine. The patient who has delivered stayed on suboxone throughout her pregnancy, and is still taking it. Of the other three, two plan to stay on suboxone, and one plans to taper off by the time of delivery. I asked them to use this forum to let us know how things are going-- hopefully we will here from them.

I do not know of any specific danger to the baby from suboxone. With methadone the general practice is to maintain the mother on methadone, as that is safer than having her relapse to less predictable drugs. I think that it is preferable to use subutex over suboxone so that the fetus is exposed only to one drug (buprenorphine), not two. I have not seen reports of fetal malformation secondary to opiates or buprenorphine.

Any woman who takes suboxone and who is pregnant MUST inform the OB/GYN that she is taking the drug. It is also important that the nurses and anesthesiologist at the hospital are aware as well. A c-section can be done with either a general or regional anesthetic (spinal or epidural) in the presence of suboxone-- the main problem would be with pain control after delivery. Pain can be blocked effectively with an epidural without any problem from the suboxone, but oral opiates will not be effective. This won't be a big problem for a vaginal delivery, but this could cause some problems with pain control in the case of a c-section. A patient may need to consider staying in the hospital an extra day or two, to allow for the use of an epidural to reduce pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Iam 23 years old and have been on Suboxone through 2 pregnancies. My doctor advised me to switch to Subutex, which I did. Its better for the fetus to be exposed to 1 drug rather then 2. In the 1st pregnancy I tapered to get down to 2mg from 8mg. I was thinking that it would be better for the babies withdrawl after birth. But it was really hard for me and I had alot of thoughts come back that I thought I was cured from. My daughter was born and didnt have a single withdrawl symptom. Never in the NICU and went home with me. My son (who is now 6 months old) didnt have any withdrawls either. With him I did NOT taper. I stayed at 8mg through the pregnancy and it was much easier for me. For pain control we (doc and I) increased the suboxone (after I delivered I switched) to 16 mg. I had c-sections, so there was ALOT of pain. I normally have chronic pain and the 16 mg treated both the acute c-section pain and my normal chronic pain. The treatment worked out well. My daughter is 2 1/2 now and is developing great! I have 2 other friends (met on-line) who have delivered on Subutex, its helped us all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Momof2 I am so happy for you, and thank ou for your post because it gives hope to all of us out there who are pregnant and figghting this awful disease. Please keep us informed of your progress. Are you planning on remaining on the subutex? Thanks again :D

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for these replys to this topic!! I found myself pregnant while heavily addicted to opiates and I was screaming and crying. I was also currently taking 2 mg of Klonopin and 50 mg of zoloft daily for major deression. I considered an abortion, but wanted to be free of opiates anyway so I came clean and told the whole ugly truth to my awesome psychiatrist. It was something I had been wanting to do for a long time but never had the guts until there was a tiny little life at stake. I was so scared because I quit drinking coffee with my now five y/o daughter, and wouldn't even take a tylenol! I am now on subutex, and not only am I off the opiates, but my depression has slipped away. I am completely amazed...and it helps to have some suppport from other women who have had successful pregnancies and beautiful healthy babies.

I will definately keep all of you posted on what happens throughout my pregnancy. I am only approx 14 weeks so it will be a long ways off as far as delivery, but I have an appointment at a high risk ob clinic on the 18th where they will do fetal studies and I will let you know if they find anything abnormal. I want to completely stop taking Zoloft before I deliver bc the depression is gone, and I have been weaned down to .25 mg Klonopin twice daily which has worked out great. Unfortunatly I was still taking 2 mg klonopin daily the first month of pregnancy, and it is a class C substance as far as pregnancy is concerned which is scary...so I will definately keep you all posted on that as well as I am sure many people on this forum suffer from anxiety just as I do, and then become pregnant while on a benzodiazapine which can't be just stoppped cold turkey. I am also planning on getting a 3D/4D ultrasound in about a month and a half, and I will upload pics as soon as they become available. Hopefully the little bugger cooperates :D