It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there. I am 25 weeks pregnant with my third child. This will be my second child while taking subutex. I am down to 3 mg. now with now issue. I Would like to continue to taper as low as possible before my scheduled c-section.

With my first I tapered down to maybe 1mg. I stopped about 36 hours before surgery and everything was fine. My baby did have low blood sugar and some shaking when she was born but the docs thought it was related to blood sugar only. She was taken only as a precaution to the NICU and stayed for maybe 45 minutes for monitoring. But the biggest surprise was that I DID indeed receive pain relief form the prescribed opiates- both injected and oral. I know I Was given Duramorph in my spinal. I was given other IV meds in recovery (not sure what they were but they were probably pretty heavy duty). And then I was given Toradol which was awesome. Then we went down to oral Ibuprofen and two 5mg. Percocet every three hours.

I guess I am most concerned with my baby. I have read WAY too much info on docs and hospitals that just dont understand Suboxone. My daughter didn't experience any withdrawals and I hope this one does not as well. I know the doc on here suggests stopping three days prior to surgery. Will this have any different effect on the baby as opposed to stopping a day or so before like I did last time? HOw does one explain the pain relief I experienced from an average amount of opiates? Will me getting as low as possible help my babies outcome as well as my post surgery experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

subbing cause I hope someone will answer, I have this question too! Very worried about outcome of my baby and impending c section due to subutex use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mandaloou,

First of all, welcome to the forum. I almost missed your question, because this post is so old! Even so, I can't explain why no responses were posted. Regardless, I'll try to help.

Stopping sub 3 days before surgery shouldn't harm the baby at all. With the long half-life, it shouldn't cause any problems. And if you can do so you'll have a better chance of getting adequate pain control. Tapering as low as possible should also help.

That said, I can't stress enough that I'm NOT a doctor. This is just my opinion based on what I've learned about suboxone/subutex. Here's a link to some of Dr. Junig's blog posts about pregnancy: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/?cat=53

And there are many, many posts here by women who've had healthy babies while taking bupe, however they've all had different experiences with their doctors and hospitals.

Obviously I have no idea what dose you're on, etc., but this is the best I can offer from the limited information provided.
I'm sure you'll get more responses.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.