It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Pregnant on Suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I fell pregnant and due to a large amount of stress got some suboxone off a friend in my second trimester which I continued till I gave birth. I know what I did was wrong and now have to deal with the fact my baby boy came out really small for gestation. The doc and everyone bled my pre eclampsia and I am too scared to tell anyone otherwise. Now my boy is 6 months old and seeming to do well but reality is I know he will probably end up retarded and it's all my fault.
Did anyone else take suboxone (not subutex) and end up with a small baby? How are they now?

Post subject: Re: Pregnant on Suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mabe,

Welcome to our forum!

I can understand why you are having these issues of guilt related to your baby. You are right, it wasn't the best choice to start on the suboxone during your pregnancy, unless you were already an addict and were using it to keep yourself away from your DOC.

However, I want to be sure you understand that there is no evidence that suboxone causes any type of developmental issues in babies. The reason they put most mothers on subutex is because it doesn't contain the Naloxone and there has not been enough research to determine if there are any possible side effects from this to the fetus. It's more of a precaution because there is one less ingredient to be concerned with.

Also, it is my understanding that the first trimester is the most critical time for the fetus' development. Meaning that if you have a child with a serious birth defect it will have formed during the first trimester. Yes, use of drugs can cause low birth weight, and most definitely can cause the baby to be born addicted to the substance. But these things tend to work themselves out with time.

Please don't worry that the suboxone will have caused your baby to be mentally handicapped in some way. There is just no evidence that suboxone will cause this. Remember to keep yourself from worrying about things that aren't true. Yes, your baby is small. But worrying about future mental issues that you have no evidence are there yet is just not productive.

I hope that Dr. J see's this post and responds to you. I know he will be able to give you some more accurate medical statistics about fetal development with suboxone.

Q

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

exactly... there are many reasons for low birth weight, but taking buprenorphine (or any opioid, for that matter) is not one of them. Smoking--- yes. Alcohol---- yes. Opioids--- no-- unless the person is severely nutritionally deficient as part of an addiction.

I have written a number of posts about pregnancy on buprenorphine; go to www.suboxsearch.com and search the blog (suboxonetalkzone) for the word 'pregnant', and you will find a few of them.

In the meantime-- cut yourself some slack.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for replying. Actually getting it out has just helped so much. The day I wrote this was probably one of the first times I could play with my baby without being wrecked with guilt. In response to Q. I have been on some sort of substance since I was 12 basically. Marijuana then and speed from 17 then heroin from 21 I kicked h at 27 apart from occasional use but never really got over the speed use and added alcohol to tge mix when my adoptive mum passed away. The only thing I took through my pregnancy wax the subs given to me by my birth mum (not a friend) when she was using every day while living in my house that she had trashed. My boyfriend has a mental illness and was making it hard through my pregnancy and would never let me rest and I took tge subs in tge hope of gaining some energy to clean up. But because my bf would always have me in the emergency room I ended up taking it for a bit longer than intended and when I wanted to stop my mum told me if I did I would lose my son.
My boy was born 5 pound 4 ounces.
I started tapering down in my last trimester and was on 1/8 of a 2mg strip when I gave birth. I did smoke through my pregnancy but not a lot.
Now I just look at him every day and know I hurt him before he was born. All I ever wanted was a family because of what my mum did to me and I hurt him. I wanted my kid to be everything I couldn't and now I know he could if been so much more if I wasn't weak. Now I guess tge best I can hope for he will be somewhat normal. He hardly cries not even when he's dirty or wet. Only when he's hungry. I want to kill my self every day but I don't want him to grow up without me. Anyway I am off subs now. I chucked them out in the Iabour ward and haven't looked back. All I take now is some codeine tabs to take the edge off. I kow I rambled but there is nowhere else I can really tell my story.