It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am currently 32 weeks pregnant. I didnt find out I was pregnant until dec, I finally got to a drs ofc in jan. They did my blood work, and sent a sample of my urine to a lab (they said it was just routine lab work). I have not been back to the dr since they did that, i go back on monday (its sat night) they didnt say they were doing a drug screen, do they even have to tell me? I am afraid they will bc i havent had any prenatal care. I currently take about 2mgs of suboxone a day and i plan to be completely off of it by the time i deliver. I have been on subs for about a year now. I feel as though i am doing the right thing for my baby by not being on opiates. I have read that a lot of people think i should tell my dr, but i have also read that ppl that tell their drs get treated badly and have cps all up in their business. And I have heard where babies dont get screened properly for wds when the drs know the mother is on subs. I have dealt with cps several times, and i absolutely just cannot go through it again. Please know cps was never involved bc of my addiction, it was due to physical abuse by my EX, something that is no longer an issue. But, bc of my past, if i get cps called on me, i will go to jail. I am under a 5 year probation with them. i really dont need anyone judging me, i just need to know if anyone has been drug tested during their pregnancy, and if so, did subs show up? I am so scared and stressed out. I know i just need to stop taking subs, but i know how dangerous that is too, and that i could have even worse problems than i have now. When they took the samples (blood and urine) , they did not ask if i was on any medications or anything to make me suspect they would do a drug screen, but i just have a gut feeling they did do one. Will suboxone show up? If so, then what? I am so scared please someone help me. They have no reason to test me, when they ask the routine questions, have you had any history of drug use i said no. And also, i have a 14 month old baby, this is the same drs ofc i went to when i was preg with him, but i.didnt start taking subs until after he was born. If they had done any.drig testing in my last pregnancy i would have passed so there would have been no reason for them to tell me if i was tested. Also, i have read suboxone sometimes shows up as an opiate even though its not supposed to show up at all on a standard test at all, has anyone had that happen? Any help will be appreciated, and please hurry, my appt is mon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:47 am 
You absolutely need to be honest with your doctor. You are already far along enough that it is what it is, no changing thE situation much. Your baby is at risk for neonatal withdrawal syndrome. Unfortunately, the majority of babies born to opiate-dependent mothers suffer some sort of withdrawal, but not all do. If you don't tell your doctor, your baby will not receive treatment, and a list of bad things could happen. I know this must be very scary for you, but you need to tell your doctor, or the baby could suffer needlessly.

Unfortunately, sometimes CPS is called when a mother tests positive for Subz. However, from what I know, they just do a short routine investigation and if all is well, they send mother and baby home.

You are asking all these questions about hiding the Sub use. Please don't do that. It could hurt your baby. Good luck on your pregnancy and congratulations!

Post subject: i will not tell my dr
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:32 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have read and researched every single thing about being on.subs while pregnant. I have made the decision to avoid telling my dr, period. There just is no happy ending whatsoever if i tell him! I am tapering down and will be sub free by the time i give birth, i know the risks of doing that also, i know that it can be done safely without harming my child. I am a firm believer that if the nurses at the hospital know that i am on suboxone, they will not accurately assess my child for wd symptoms and just start morphine treatment without even thinking about it. Because i have decided to taper down and be clean by birth, that wont be an issue. There is no real reason my dr neefs to know. I understand the reality of how drs are, they only want to call cps, get my children taken away, THEN treat my addiction. In my state no drugs are tolerated by cps, even IF they are prescribed, and in this case, they are not, so i am for sure doomed.
So, yes, i am asking these questions to avoid telling my dr. I feel that it is best for my child if i am the person raising him.
It may seem that i am not putting the health of my child first, but i feel it is safer for me to handle this aspect of my pregnancy on my own rather than be pregnant in jail. I know that the stress and worry i am going through cant be good for the baby either, thats why i am posting here, i hope that someone can share their experience and possibly ease my mind.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 am 
Wait..you decided to take Suboxone to avoid opiate withdrawals, right? Now you want your newborn baby to go cold turkey through withdrawal? You would put your newborn through something you couldn't handle yourself?? Because of shit you read on the Internet?!?! They put babies on morphine tapers to help them through acute withdrawal, not to be unfair or torture them.

I think you need to reconsider. If you don't disclose that you are on Sub, and they find out, you are in 10x more trouble than if you just came clean. Lying makes you look like a junkie vs someone in recovery. If it seems like you aren't putting the health of your child first, it is because right now, you aren't. You are putting saving your ass from possible trouble first.

You and I and the people on forums talking about it are NOT doctors. Your infant will need to be evaluated by a physician who has got all the correct info to have the best chance of being healthy.

Someone just posted a thread yesterday I think about NAS. Maybe you should check it out. I hope your baby is healthy despite your dishonesty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just FYI - If the doctors at the hospital where you give birth have any reason to suspect that you've been using/abusing drugs during your pregnancy, they can order a meconium test which will show any substances that you've taken back to 20 weeks of gestation.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey.. I know this can be stressfull and scary but first, no suboxone cannot show up as opiates in your system. Two my mother is a OBGYN and I have never heard of them ordering a test for suboxone unless they have reason to believe your taking suboxone. I made the same decision for very similar reasons as yours. My sub dr. knew I had chose not to tell my dr and was comfortable with that because after prescribing through 15 pregnancies and not ONCE having issues she was assured that my baby would be fine. And sure enough she was. I also to protect myself researched NAS and printed out the scoring sheet but although my baby may have sneezed a few times extra, she was perfectly fine. Obviously if baby comes and something just doesn't feel right, speak up but I think your baby will be just fine as long as your were not taking anything else during the pregnancy. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for you doing what you feel is best for you and your lil one. If you have any questions about NAS and what I experienced feel free to PM me. Also it's really annoying when people who clearly have not researched and are ignorant to suboxone and pregnancies waive there incorrect opinion around.... know before you speak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:48 pm 
CalebsMom123 wrote:
Hey.. I know this can be stressfull and scary but first, no suboxone cannot show up as opiates in your system. Two my mother is a OBGYN and I have never heard of them ordering a test for suboxone unless they have reason to believe your taking suboxone. I made the same decision for very similar reasons as yours. My sub dr. knew I had chose not to tell my dr and was comfortable with that because after prescribing through 15 pregnancies and not ONCE having issues she was assured that my baby would be fine. And sure enough she was. I also to protect myself researched NAS and printed out the scoring sheet but although my baby may have sneezed a few times extra, she was perfectly fine. Obviously if baby comes and something just doesn't feel right, speak up but I think your baby will be just fine as long as your were not taking anything else during the pregnancy. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for you doing what you feel is best for you and your lil one. If you have any questions about NAS and what I experienced feel free to PM me. Also it's really annoying when people who clearly have not researched and are ignorant to suboxone and pregnancies waive there incorrect opinion around.... know before you speak

I knew before I spoke that you are not a doctor and neither is Sarah, nor am I, and the way to ensure the safety of the newborn is 100% honesty with the OBGYN. Anything less is asking for problems.