It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone. I'm new here. My name is Megan, I am 26 years old. I began taking Suboxone almost a year ago, I will have one year clean on June 15, 2014. I began taking 16 mgs of Suboxone, but switched to Subutex immediately after finding out I was pregnant, in October. This definitely wasn't a planned pregnancy, but I can honestly say I have never been so happy in my entire life! It hasn't all been butterflies & rainbows, I *still* find myself getting sick ('morning sickness') at almost 39 weeks, but I absolutely love being pregnant. My parents, and my brother, along with my boyfriend have been absolutely amazing throughout my road to recovery, and throughout this pregnancy also. We found out in January, Baby Bop (baby's nickname) is a BOY! Yet, I feel like I was still in shock. The thought of Baby Bop going thru w/d's didnt occur til I began doing research online. Which is something I wished I hadnt done. I expressed my concerns to my boyfriend, a little. And I have talked to my therapist about it. But the guilt/shame is unbearable sometimes. About a month ago, I had to get my dose increased, so now I take 16-24 mgs. I finally saw my Subutex doctor shortly after my dose increase, and we talked about my plan for L&D, sknce my due date, June 12th, is approaching. He explained to me that the hospital staff will be calling him when I go into discuss pain management. He also said that I should stop taking my Subutex TWO DAYS before I ho into labor. I was thinking to myself, especially asa first time mom, how am I going to knlw TWO DAYS prior to giving birth?! My Subutex doctor just told me to keep in contact with my OB. Then the nerves set in.

I told my OB what my doctor had said about the Subutex, and suggested I get induced. I hadn't progressed any, I was atill at 50%, 1-2cm dialated. She said she could induce me Thursday, June 5th, and I wouldbe 39 weeks. I know this is probably the best option, just in case I DO need pain management, but I can't help but feel so much guilt and shame. I just want my son here, and HEALTHY, and HAPPY. I really eosh I would have known about babies and w/d sooner. Or maybe I should have just laid off Google. I don't know. Baby Bop and I could really use some thoughts and prayers. Its too late to "should have...", "could have...", "would have...", I am doing my best every single day. I try to NOT be so hard on myself but it's not just me anymore. Its a terrible feeling to feel llike you're not doing a good job as a mother, and he's not even here yet. I just wish I had all the answers. Or I wish someone did.

Also, sorry about all the typos. I'm mobile and for some reason the cursor keeps jumping all over the place when I try to fix my mistakes, Sorry! And thank you in advance to those who have any advice or something they'd like to share. An OB nurse is supposed to be calling me here soon to set up my induction.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:07 pm 

Hi Megan! Welcome to the forum!

I know that it's hard to keep from feeling guilt and shame, but for the sake of Baby Bop, please try! (I love that nickname, btw!) I want you to think about where you were last year before you started on sub. Your life was probably a complete mess and maybe you were in trouble in more ways than one.

Instead of going farther down the path of destruction, however, you got help and turned your life around! All of us here know what a monumental effort that took. Since finding out that you're pregnant you've done what you can to minimize any effects the medication could have on your baby. And you've kept your addiction in remission by taking your subutex. Your baby is going to be born to a healthy mom and dad!

It's not unusual to have to increase your dosage of sub when you're pregnant. Since your blood volume increases during pregnancy, the sub has to increase too. Dr. Junig, who runs this forum, believes that your baby is less likely to show signs of NAS if the mom is taking subutex, than if you were taking methadone.

Here's what you need to think of if you're going to get rid of some of your guilt. If your baby shows signs of NAS, the hospital will treat your baby with an opiate and then wean him down over time. He will not be suffering symptoms of withdrawal for long! Your baby will be taken care of! If you plan on nursing your baby, even better! The small amount of buprenorphine in your breastmilk will help keep your baby from withdrawal. They absorb very little bupe from breastfeeding since the baby's digestive system will destroy it, but that little bit can help your baby.

You are being a good mom by keeping yourself from active addiction! Don't forget it!

Amy