It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi. I've been on Suboxone and now Subutex for 3 years. My story is kind of crazy all in all, but since finding a doc and getting on Sub (w/ out going to rehab) my life has been incredible. I could finally do "normal" things like getting married, going on vacations, living in a nice place, saving money. My husband and I decided we wanted a family, and spoke to our doctor about getting pregnant while on Suboxone. I was advised against weening off before or during pregnancy. I've maintained a 4mg dose, but now that I'm expecting in about 8 weeks, and I've just been told what's in store for my baby. Now I'm dealing with the guilt, fear, etc., and I want to ween down to 2mg or less. I'm so scared. I thought I was well informed even before getting pregnant, but I didn't know the half of it.

I'll be happy to share my successes and trials and tribulations with suboxone and subutex, but I need to get through this scary stuff first. Are there any threads about expecting moms and subutex on this forum? Thanks, and good luck to those of you starting out on this path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Bube mom,

Congradulations on bringing a new life into the world!!!!!! Do you no what your having??

Welcome to the forum there is a marker or column here just for preganet mothers its the 7th one down on the main page. There are many people who have great stories to share there and of corse there may be some not so great ones also. I am surprised your Dr. didn't inform you a little better that really suck. I have a few friends who gave birth while on subs and only one of the babies had a rough time after birth. But the baby is absolutly fine now :!: It may be a good idea to try to get down to 2mgs or as low as you can COMFORTABLY go between now and then! Is your OBGYN aware that your on subs? I would highly recommend letting her know and providing all the info to her that you can before giving birth.

I wish you the best of luck please stick around and let us know how your doing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello bupemom and welcome to the forum. Like Hancal said, there is a whole section about bupe and pregnancy. You'll find many, many stories, both good and bad.

I understand you are afraid. I believe that is perfectly normal. Try to ease up on yourself. I know you feel guilty, but remember that you are giving your child-to-be a mother that is NOT in active addiction, but instead a stable, healthy mother. That is something to be proud of. I agree that you should try to get to a lower dose, if possible. You want to do it comfortably and slow. I would think that if you feel your dosage drops then the baby will to. Normally the general idea is dropping 10% every couple of weeks (I THINK that's right, maybe someone can correct me), but I realize you don't have much time. See how you feel going from 4 to 3 instead of dropping from 4 to 2 right away. You will usually feel your dose drops about 3 days or so after you drop. You are very motivated to do this and I think that will serve you well.

Hang in there, go easy on yourself, and keep us posted. Take care!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with the idea of taking yourself off the whipping post. There's no benefit in that. Read the threads in the pregnancy section and hang in there, we are here to help you and support you in any way we can. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hancal106 wrote:
Hello Bube mom,

Congradulations on bringing a new life into the world!!!!!! Do you no what your having??

Welcome to the forum there is a marker or column here just for preganet mothers its the 7th one down on the main page. There are many people who have great stories to share there and of corse there may be some not so great ones also. I am surprised your Dr. didn't inform you a little better that really suck. I have a few friends who gave birth while on subs and only one of the babies had a rough time after birth. But the baby is absolutly fine now :!: It may be a good idea to try to get down to 2mgs or as low as you can COMFORTABLY go between now and then! Is your OBGYN aware that your on subs? I would highly recommend letting her know and providing all the info to her that you can before giving birth.

I wish you the best of luck please stick around and let us know how your doing :D

Thanks for the sweet welcome. We are having a little girl, and we're both totally excited! I think I should have been more clear- my sub doc did give me lots of info- lots of it positive- and he still maintains that a baby born to a mother on buprenorphine is completely different from one born to a mom on Methadone. It's actually the neonatal docs that will be monitoring my newborn that make me nervous, because they're not as familiar with buprenophine, they're used to methadone, heroin, etc. After I met with them, I was convinced she'd suffer withdrawals. Now that I've spoken w/ my sub doc and perinatologist again, I am feeling much more positive. I actually have several great doctors who are very supportive, including my midwife and perinatologist.

After a long discussion and a lot of debate, we decided it's better that I stay on 4mg. My body is used to it, and my prescribing doctor feels that it's a low enough dose to still be considered safe. He "predicts" that we'll all be home within 5 days :wink:

I am looking forward to sharing my entire story of recovery here, especially when it's about to have such a happy ending.