It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi I'm pregnant with a script but I'm scared to mention it to the doctor due to the fact my boyfriend doesn't know I'm on suboxone and its not an option to tell him. Would the hospital say anything do I legally have any rights to privacy? If the hospital does test the baby I thought they had to test specifically for subs for it to show up? I've had blood test and pee test every time I've been there and nothing has been said yet? I am incredibly scared due on Christmas and can't imagine loading my boyfriend and something bad really happening with the baby all at christmas . Please help! I was considering calling the hospital and just asking these questions but I'm scared and I assume they wouldn't tell me anyways?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry for the predicament you're in. I can't help but feel sad for all the women who've posted here regarding how torn up they are about being pregnant and addicted and scared. What (ideally) should be one of the happiest times of a woman's life...a time when she should feel confident, be healthier than any other time in life, be relaxing while simultaneously so excited....a time of planning for at least 18 years of nurturing and providing for a child. Instead, the prevailing themes are fear, anxiety, deception, etc.
I hate addiction. But I especially hate it for the innocent babies and children who have to be exposed to our disease.
Sorry, that's all so negative. On the positive side...you're obviously doing what you can to recover. You're on Sub, prescribed by a doctor....I'm guessing that doctor knows you're pregnant by now? And it's your OB who doesn't know about the Sub? It's too bad your boyfriend/father of your baby doesn't know. It's concerning that you don't feel you can tell him the truth without being rejected, while at the same time you apparently think enough of each other to have a baby together. It's unfair for you to be in this position, in my opinion.
Anyway, it's not a perfect world, is it? I'd say that since you're due in less than two weeks and you haven't told anyone yet...why tell now? If you've received proper prenatal care and there is no history of drug abuse anywhere on your records with the OB or the hospital where you'll be delivering, there's no reason for them to drug test you or the baby, so they highly likely will not. Even if they did, there's a good chance they won't be looking for Sub...they'll be looking for mj, cocaine, heroin, meth, and Rx drugs that haven't been prescribed to you.
Similarly, if they don't know about your Sub use, they probably won't be looking for NAS symptoms in the baby. You didn't mention how much Sub you're on...hopefully it's not a lot. If so, most mothers are reporting minimal to no withdrawal in their newborns.
I hope you're able to get some rest and enjoyment from the last bit of your pregnancy. Try not to worry. Feel good that you're treating your addiction and exposing your baby to Sub and not something way worse. If you haven't already done so, read through all the postings in this category of the forum to learn more.
If there's any other info you can share or other questions, let me know. I have some experience in this area and I'd like to help in any way I can.
Congratulations on your baby. Believe and know that in all likelihood, everything will turn out just fine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, legally because of HIPPA regulations you do have a right to privacy. They should have given you forms where you state who you allow medical information to be shared with. The problem is, if your boyfriend is with you during your hospital stay something could be inadvertently said in front of him. I'm not saying this to be judgemental in any way, but it is very hard to keep a secret as big as being on Suboxone from your life partner. When I went back on Sub I didn't tell my husband at first, but I just couldn't keep that up - its just too big a thing to hide, especially with having to attend groups, etc.

Whether or not to tell the OB is a tough call, too. If your are on a low dose and they haven't known all along, telling them might just make them discriminate against you (like finding NAS symptoms in the baby that don't exist.). On the other hand if you are on a higher dose, you have to think of the possibility of having an emergency c-section, and the anesthesiologist would need to know. It's your decision to make, but we will be here to support you no matter what.
I wish you the best,
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If the baby has w/d symptoms when s/he is born they will have to treat for that. You shouldn't keep the info from your doctor. Your boyfriend may end up finding out in the end if the baby is put on methadone for w/d treatment. This is a real possibility. Some women here have had no problems.. I know others that have. I'm sorry you're in this situation but you should not keep anything from your doctor in case there are complications.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the support it has been really hard the first on I went to basically said you have no option you have to tell him and I ended up hyperventilating in his office and he didn't seem to care a bit just wanted to get me in and out so I switched doctors. After reading everything I have on here I came to the conclusion it was best not to say anything my family knows I'm on subutex and they are very supportive however my boyfriend is not its almost been 4 yrs I've been on sub I was in an accident a yr ago when I had almost gotten off and due to the pain I've had as a result I've stayed on it longer on a low dose but anyways I wish he would understand but he doesnt I wish I could tell him but I noo he would leave me. But I'm wondering if I could call the hospital and ask what they test for or what would happen if I have any right of privacy. Or even if I should call my doc and ask them as if I was a new patient. I'm just so scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To the op: I feel for you so deeply. I spent 9 mo agonizing over being pregnant and on sub, I did not enjoy my pregnancy as a result. I just had my baby 1 week ago(I posted my birth story earlier today 12.18.12. I ultimately chose to tell pretty much everyone involved w my preg about sub including my boyfriend who has a very stern view of drug abuse, etc. I had become addicted to Vicodin, legally prescribed. I hated always worrying about next rx, etc so decided to go on sub. It was only after I started sub that I came clean to him. The disease of addiction is so riddled w deception as it is, I was just tired of hiding. I however, understand your decision. I came close to the same. Fortunately this all came out prior to learning we were having a baby. Here's the thing, I just want to prepare you that if you did tell OB I think it would be hard for your bf not to hear of it somehow during your hospital stay. If the ob knows, the entire care team for you and baby will be informed. I had a visit from social services while bf was in room. The babies pediatrician (hospital appointed) mentioned it several times during exam, in front of bf. Now in my case I never asked that they not talk in front him so perhaps that's why, I just think it would've been impossible to keep concealed. My sub use was a predominant theme during my hospital stay. I know that in my state, many hospitals (up to hospital) automatically test for a wide spectrum of drugs. I can't be sure if sub is included but the rn's I had indicated they suspect far more L and D patients are on it then what they are told. Because I was honest, I got a visit from social services, a rough initial visit w the hospital pediatrician, and my child went to nicu for 4 additional days-I was on .06 mg btw. He not once presented w NAS. He is doing beautifully. Every time he sneezed (not often) or fussed while in hospital I panicked he'd get scored for NAS. It was beyond stressful, I went off the emotional cliff unfortunately. Im torn as to what I might of done different. I believe it's a personal choice. I'll spare you the do what's best for baby, I refuse to insult you in that way. You have a lot of time on this, you mentioned 30 wks? Perhaps you could try to do a slow taper. I was so scared of hurting the baby that I didn't jump completely off. As I said I got down to .06 mg. I was tired, had mild rls, and mild anxiety. I never let it get beyond that. I wish you the best, I have tremendous empathy for you. I regret that we still have so long to go in accepting that the disease of addiction doesn't indicate a flaw in ones character. Best of everything to you and your baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I really feel for you, you are in a tough spot right now. I just wanted to point out a few things in regard to your post, first you were asking if you have any patient privacy and if the hospital has a right to inform your boyfriend that you are on sub, I do believe without your permission they cannot say anything to anyone BUT your baby is a different story, if that is his child then he has just as much of a right as you to know about the babys health. In my opinion you really should try to tell him, just think about the possible situation.. what happens if the baby has NAS and has to be put on methadone? Do you think it would be better he find out from you before hand and be prepared or find out after the baby is born that he/she is withdrawing and has to be put on methadone and needs to stay in the hospital an extra 2wks?? Just something for you to think about so you can look at it from all perspectives. Honestly if the baby does start withdrawing theres not much you're gonna be able to do to hide it anymore, it just comes down to how you want him to find out. I do wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted, Praying for you to have a happy, safe & NAS free delivery :)