It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Pregnant and on subutex
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello I am 36 weeks pregnant and have been taking subutex throughout my pregnancy. My mom got me hooked on them and she always had me snort the pill. I am counting the days before I go into labor and I'm scared CPS will get involved. I don't have a script and I never told my doctor. My doctor takes my blood and urine but has never mentioned anything about the drug in my system. I have tapered down to just a few crumbs a day! A quarter piece of a 8mg has lasted me since 06/01 and it is now 07/16 and I still have plenty left. My boyfriend and his family are upper class and he has no idea and if he finds out he will try to take my baby from me, I have no car and no free time or else I would get a script, but it would be impossible to pay and go all of the time without him knowing. I don't want him to know at all because he will torture me for the rest of my life and will assume I'm a bad person. He doesnt understand addiction at all because he has never experienced it at all. I'm scared to tell my doc because Idk if he has to report it at all, and if he does, CPS will get involved and my bf will find out. I am on a low enough dose to quit but I always sneeze, feel lazy, yawn, and poop a lot if I don't do it that day. So I'm wondering if it's just all in my head. I literally feel like I do so low that it gets lost in my nostril. But the sickness feeling is still there!! I'm beginning to think it's all syco logical, but Im not sure. Will the hospital test me for it? Should I try to completely quit even though I'm feeling sick and lazy? Do I even do enough for it to be in my babies system? I need help and I live in Ohio so I don't think they automatically test for it but I'm not sure. Someone please help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your mom started you on buprenorphine?! Or on pain pills? Pretty crappy parental behavior either way. But as discussed in another post in the 'current posts' thread, taking buprenorphine in small doses is pretty-much identical to taking oxycodone or another agonist.

Many people addicted to opioids carry the thought that 'I'd be fine if I could just detox'. But experience teaches almost all of those people that they were kidding themselves, and detox only leads to a return to using-- usually more than before the detox.

At 36 weeks, there isn't any advice anyone here will give you other than to be honest with your doctor. CPS doesn't worry about the babies of people who are trying to correctly deal with their problems-- but they might have concerns about someone going into something as serious as childbirth, and withholding health information that could lead to harm for you or your baby.

You could just stop the crumbs, and if you aren't truly 'addicted'-- i.e. you are only physically tolerant-- you may be able to manage. That could precipitate labor, but you are almost at term anyway... but you certainly don't want to stop eating and drinking and go into labor dehydrated and weak.

When you can't decide which path to take, the best path is honesty. You won't have to remember the details of the stories you make up, and you can go to battle with the babies father from a righteous position, knowing you are being true to yourself. That's not what most people would do, unfortunately-- but it's the safest path for you to take.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:08 am 

Wilso, Dr.J is right, just be honest.

There's a chance that the hospital will find the buprenorphine in ur system, there's also a chance that it won't so that's a chance ur taking. Imo it's always best to be honest because it's gonna worry u to death if u don't. The best thing imo is getting a Dr to where you'd have had a prescription. When I first started treatment, I didn't even have a driver's license, it had been suspended from a ticket I didn't show up for court, I had no car, I'm a single mother with full time mother duties.....and I started suboxone treatment. So there's always a way if u truly want it.