It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: pregnant and on subutex
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'll be 12 weeks pregnant on march 28 2014 friday.
I got swiched from suboxone to subutex on February 6. I have 2 other children . But this will be my 1st child being pregnant with on subutex and just so nervous. 1st question is will I'll be able to get a epidural? With my son he Was 8 lbs even an after given birth to him doctor notice d I hqd a huge bliod clot down there and had to have it removed. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain so I will need pain relief. And 2 if I'm on subutex will I be offered pain relief in the hospital . And will I be able to have pain meds to take at home for after giving birth pain? Will I be allowed to try and breastfeed if on subtext. ? I'm so worried because this will ve my 1st baby I'll be having on subutex and need as much information at possible. Thanks in advance. Please help me please.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It will depend, 90%, on the attitude and knowledge of your doctor and of the people who staff the hospital where you deliver.

If you get your dose down to 4-8 mg per day of buprenorphine, your baby will be more likely to have NO withdrawal than to have any withdrawal (fewer than 50 of babies show neonatal abstinence if the dose is kept low).

Epidural-- no problem. Spinal-- no problem. You will get local anesthetic; that is what give most of the relief. People often get morphine by epidural too... but that is just for post-op pain, not for during the labor or C-section.

Breast feeding is a good idea; I cannot imagine a scenario where a baby would be sedated by it, since there is more buprenorphine IN the uterus, than in breast milk. On average a baby taking 150 ml of mild per day will get about 10 micrograms of buprenorphine per day-- 0.01 mg-- and most of that is destroyed before getting in the infant circulation.

For the other issues, please go the the web site SuboxSearch, at http://www.suboxsearch.com.

Search the BLOG for the word 'pregnancy'. You will find tons of comments-- and links to articles that provide info for your doc. If you read those posts, you will be in a position to ask for how you want things to happen- rather than just letting the wrong things happen to you.

Good luck,

Jeff