It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would just like to offer my advice to anyone on subs without a rx and pregnant. I was taking someone else's rx until I got pregnant. I was terrified. I cried and cried and tried to stop taking it. Once I realized I couldn't and that it would be compromising the pregnancy, I immediately started calling doctors and even if they weren't accepting patients I told them I'm pregnant and need help! I found the most amazing doctor in the universe and was honest with him and my OB. It's the only solution. Face it and get into a legitimate treatment program. Otherwise ur going to test positive for illegal prescription drugs when u deliver and then CPS will be involved. If u have any questions please ask and I will check back. My son is 5 wks now and doing great. I also posted my birth story on the thread. Good luck. I hope I can help because I understand the sheer terror some of u are experiencing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope that didn't sound harsh: the face it only solution etc etc part. I reread it and didn't like the wày I said it. I'm new here and don't know how to edit things so I'll say what I meant here. At least in my area I know they routinely check for bup in newbôrns so it would def be a problem if the baby tested positive without u have an rx for it. I'm really sorry if I have offended anyone :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:54 am 

I don't think you've offended anyone. :) I think the reason no one replied is that you were offering a suggestion, not asking a question to be answered. If people were offended they probably would have reacted by posting after you.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lillyliver23 wrote:
I would just like to offer my advice to anyone on subs without a rx and pregnant. I was taking someone else's rx until I got pregnant. I was terrified. I cried and cried and tried to stop taking it. Once I realized I couldn't and that it would be compromising the pregnancy, I immediately started calling doctors and even if they weren't accepting patients I told them I'm pregnant and need help! I found the most amazing doctor in the universe and was honest with him and my OB. It's the only solution. Face it and get into a legitimate treatment program. Otherwise ur going to test positive for illegal prescription drugs when u deliver and then CPS will be involved. If u have any questions please ask and I will check back. My son is 5 wks now and doing great. I also posted my birth story on the thread. Good luck. I hope I can help because I understand the sheer terror some of u are experiencing.

AMEN! Thats sound advice. I totally agree, and sometimes people just need to hear it.

congrats on ur baby, and thank you!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all, I have been scoring the Internet for the past week trying to research suboxone and pregnancy. I have been taking subs, without a script, since about June. I found out last week I am pregnant. I feel like the worst person in the world and I should have never allowed something like this to happen. I am only taking .5 a day and have an appt with a sub doc on Monday. I am determined to get off of the meds as quickly and safely as possible.

Just looking for some encouragement from anyone who has gone through this and that it can be done without harming my baby.

Thank you!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:34 pm 

I am not the right person to offer any suggestions but it sounds like you have it under control. Only taking ½ a mg is very little. From what I've read here your baby may not even be dependent on it. There is a good chance that the little one won't go through any withdrawals at birth so don't fret about it. In fact, it may be best to not tell the hospital staff about the Suboxone. They tend to freak out about it.

Dr. Junig recently posted a message here regarding the treatment of infants at birth when the staff knows about the Suboxone. Every little sniffle or normal baby actions get labeled "withdrawal symptoms". See if you can find it in the pregnant section. If you can't, I will, and post it here. I'm just short on time right now.

Congratulations of being a new Mommie! Don't fret one bit about the Suboxone. It'll turn out just fine.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It's such a hard decision to make. You try to be open and honest with your doctors and nurses and then they judge you at your most vulnerable. It's just not right!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the reply!! The thing is I def want to get off of it, that's what I'm a bit afraid of. I know .5 is a small dose but I don't want to take any chances. I just hope everything will be ok... I think it's best to tell my doc, if they find it in my urine and I wasn't honest that will look extremely bad. I am going to ask the sub doc I see on Monday for a referral to an obgyn that will understand my situation.

I just want to know its possible to get off and that the baby will be ok.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't blame you for wanting to get off. You're on such a small dose and (I'm guessing) pretty early in your pregnancy. I'd do the same. I think asking your sub doc for an OB referral is a great idea. Because you're on such a small dose, you're symptoms should not be severe, you've already done most of the tapering prior to pregnancy. The only thing your doctor may suggest is waiting to jump in the 2nd trimester, after your baby's vital organs are mostly developed. It's just less risky that way but there are others who jump sooner. Once member here has recently jumped off .5mgs and was also in early pregnancy. She's been doing great.

I think the key is finding a good doctor and doing this with professional support. You are in a great place though, already being down to .5mg..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you tinydancer!! You really gave me some reassurance!! I'm about 6 weeks along and agree that waiting until the 2nd tri is probably best. I honestly would like to get off sooner but whatever is the safest way is what in going to follow. It's nice to hear that others have done the same and everything worked out.
Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So many typos in my previous response, I'm sorry. I just wanted to clarify that the further you taper down, the easier it should be WD symptom-wise. While we also have a member here (Brown Eyed Girl) who recently jumped off at .5, it was not her choice. She had a medical procedure that forced the jump a bit early. It all worked out well for her, but had it not been for the medical procedure, I'm sure she would have tapered even further. I just wanted to clarify that because when I re-read my last post it kind of sounded like I was suggesting jumping from where you are. Definitely work down as low as you can go, with the guidance of your doctor & OB, of course.

A couple things to keep in mind.. If/ when you taper or jump, don't take hot baths. You're not supposed to take really hot baths when you're pregnant, only water that is body temp. We recommend hot baths here a lot for people who have gotten off subs, that won't be good advice for you. Hopefully you wouldn't need them tho. Also, be careful with OTC comfort meds. Tylenol is really the only med that experts recommend during pregnancy. I'm an Advil lover and have had to give that up, so just be cautious what's in your medicine cabinet.

Good luck, I hope you find a good OB that you can rely on for complete support!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks again tinydancer! I am planning on going down to .25 for 4 days and then 1/2 of that from there. I guess it all depends on what my doc says. I still hate that I in this situation. I started taking this crap cause my husband got on them. I def had a problem w pills but was doing fine. Now I'm stuck dealing w coming off another substance and being pregnant. Just sucks! Guess there is nothing I can do now, going to see the sub doc tomorrow. Just hope she doesn't act poorly towards me.

Thanks for the prego tips! I actually have a 12 month old so I have a good idea of what I can/can't do... Which also sucks when it comes to withdrawl.. No baths, no sleeping meds, nothing stronger than Tylenol. But I'm a trooper, I know I can do it. My husband totally supports me and is willing to help anyway he can.

I'll keep in touch, let you know how tomorrow pans out.

Thanks again for everything!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As another scary thought, since I don't have a script what's going to happen?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Let me clarify what I said about pills, I had a problem with them but was 16 months sober when I started taking subs. I haven't done pills in about 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MommaJ,

Did you say you are going to a sub doctor soon to get on the subutex legally? If so, you shouldn't have any problems with CPS when you deliver. The sub doctor shouldn't even bat an eye about putting you on them legally to keep you from having trouble with the OB doctor and keep your baby safe and comfortable.

Hopefully the sub doctor will be understanding. But even if they aren't, don't worry about it! All that matters right now is getting you a legal script to keep the DCS off your back. We had a thread about this recently, just go and be honest and you should be fine.

Let us know how it goes ok?

Q

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm going this afternoon to a sub doc that will hopefully give me subutex. But my plan is to be off everything ASAP.

Do I need to worry about cps? Who would contact them? Would they still call them even if I'm coming off of the stuff?

Thanks for the help!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No MommaJ,

The only way CPS will be involved is if you go for delivery and your baby tests positive for opiates and you don't have a prescription for the subs to explain why. I'm sorry I worried you needlessly! I also realized after I posted that this is the thread I was referring to. The OP was in a similar situation as you.

You will be fine if you get on the subs legally, and that shouldn't be a problem if you are going to see a doctor. I see no reason why they would turn you down. They would be incompetent if they didn't immediately put you on subutex!

Worst case scenario, and I don't think this will happen, you can wait until your second trimester and taper and jump, by the time the baby comes there will be nothing in your system and the baby won't test positive for anything. You will be fine!

Let us know how your appointment goes ok!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for everything!! I'll let you know how it goes today.

Just to clarify, I am going to stop taking them, just with the guidance of a dr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very good idea Mommaj.

You should definitely be under the supervision of your doctor while tapering during pregnancy!

Good luck today!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Soooooo upset. The doc wouldn't even listen to the idea that I wanted to come off this shit. She just kept explaining that I need to treat my addiction problem, which I am totally ok with doing but in the meantime I want to be off if this stuff. She treated me like I was just a run of the mill patient. Like it was the same speech she gives everyone. And she wrote me a script for 8 mil tabs when I told her I was taking .5. She wouldn't even refer an ob just said to go to my reg one.

So I am making an appt with my ob, telling her my situation and see if she can guide me off of these things. If not, I'm doing it on my own!!