It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just to add my 2 cents if you are already down to .5mgs and really want off and a dr won't help you are already down to such a low dose that you really don't have much work left to do besides take the final plunge and stop taking it. You could cut your dose in half and go lower but plenty of people have jumped at half a mg and done fine so there really isn't much a dr would do even if they agreed. The one thing that they could do to help is prescribe comfort meds like clonidine and a benzo for sleep taken sparingly but other than that once we get down to a dose as low as yours its up to us at that point and theres not much else a dr can do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the response!! I'm just frustrated, I guess I thought she would tell me everything will be ok and to not worry. I just wanted some medical direction on tapering and what is considered safe when pregnant.

I took myself down to .25 today. Feeling a bit icky but nothing too bad. My plan is to stick with that dose until Friday or Saturday then go to .125 for a couple days then start skipping a day, the n skip 2 days etc. the info I got is from a website, I would feel more comfortable having a doc explain how to do this.

Thank you for the help!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The truth of the matter is that most doctors will not ever advise you to taper or jump, when pregnant. It's pretty rare to find one, from what I've heard. I think part of the reasoning is that they don't want to assist anyone to do anything that could cause a miscarriage, that could be grounds for a mal-practice lawsuit. So I'm not surprised that she didn't help you with this. You are on SUCH a small dose, but no one knows how people's bodies will react during withdrawals, especially a doctor who's never been on suboxone and doesn't know how minuscule .5mg actually is. Add to that, it sounds like she's concerned about maintaining sobriety after suboxone, and I can see where she's coming from.

Still, I understand your reasons for wanting to go through with it and I'd do the same. Only because your dose is so small. The truth is, your blood volume is going to double. The .5mg probably won't do squat when that happens anyway, so if you were to stay on it, you'd probably need a dose increase of all things. I think you'll be surprised and will adjust to the .25mgs surprisingly well.

Good luck with everything!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks tinydancer!! I figured that a lawsuit would prob be the reason a doc wouldn't recommend it. I'm going back next Monday and am going to be straight forward in telling her that I'm tapering, if she chooses to help me great, if not I'm doing it either way.

What are your thoughts about talking with my ob about it? I should be about done by the time I finally go. Do you have a suggestion as to how soon you think I can stop taking this stuff?

Again, I can't thank you enough!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think being honest about tapering off suboxone is a great idea. She may not recommend it, but at the very least she should be there for you if you have questions. As for your OB, that's a tough call. I guess you should weigh the pros and cons. What would be the negatives of being honest about your history? What would be the positives? It's a personal call.

Truthfully, I'm torn about this as well. Right now my OB has no idea of my history, but again, I'm 14months off suboxone and haven't been in active addiction in 6-8 years. I really just want to be treated like any other patient. I have to get blood drawn on my next appointment (next week) and if they have trouble drawing blood, I'll have to tell her. If they don't, then I might just keep it to myself. I've discussed with my husband about post delivery pain management and I don't want any. I'm prepared to use OTC pain relievers after the birth. Some of my (non addict) friends have done it easily, and that's what I'll do. Anyway, if I were fresh off subs (or drugs,) I may have chosen to be honest with my OB from the get go, but that's your decision to make.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree that telling my ob is best for baby. If she isn't supportive I will just find a new doc.

Is this your first baby? I had a daughter 12 months ago, reg delivery, and was totally fine without pain meds! You will do great! Do you know the sex yet?

I dropped down to .25 yesterday and am def feeling it today... Achy, tired, lack of appetite. But I guess I just need to push through.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, my first.. I still don't know the gender. I'm nearing 3 months, so I believe it will be about another 4 weeks or so, until I find out. I think it's usually between 16-20 weeks, depending on what kind of view they have on the ultrasound, right?

If it's any consolation, I feel the same as you (and have been since 6+ weeks), achy, tired.. sleepless. Nothing but snack foods tastes good to me anymore. Eating dinner is a friggin' chore. Ironically, the only foods that I like right now are kid's snack foods. Apples and peanut butter, string cheese, PB&J sandwiches.. you get the idea. None of which is substantial enough to keep me full through the night, so I have to force myself to eat a whole meal and night. Not fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am truly excited for you!! Being a mommy is sbsolutly amazing!! You will love it!! I don't really remember how I felt with my first pregnancy during the first couple months except that I was tired line really tired and hungry. Now cause of the sub I hurt and feel wiped out :(

If you ever have any questions about pregnacy or labor etc I'm happy to help.

I tried to drop down to .25 today but felt pretty icky so I took another .125. I am hoping to go back to .25 tomorrow till Saturday then drop again from there. Hopefully I'll be done with this whole thing in at most a month. It's all I can think about so its driving me NUTS!!

Give that baby a big tummy hug!! So happy you two are doing well!!!