It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

so im new to this site and I like it alot so far anyways this is a long story kinda and im needing some serious advice on what to do please.

So im currently pregnant and ive been on Subutex now for about 5 months legally but before I start seeing a doctor I've been on it for about almost a year. Anyways I see my doctor next Thursday February 23rd 2017 and I'm supposed to have 14 in my bottle but as of right now I only have one left now keep in mind this isn't my first time running out early and I got in trouble last time for it now I don't think he can legally cut me off because I'm pregnant and it would hurt the baby but I'm kind of scared of what is going to happen or what I should tell him. I've already told him last time I ran out early that I was craving more and he pretty much told me I can't just take more than what I am prescribed. And the time before that I actually lost a script at Walmart and had to file a police report. Now here is the long story part I went out of town and my Pharmacy called and said I had a prescription ready so I figured my doctor had written me a script thinking that I want it be back in time for my appointment but when I came back I still had three days left before I had to see him and I already ran out early on that script so I tapped into the new one and I was supposed to still have one left when it was time to see him so I just took my old bottle and put one in it from the new one and brought that in and he got pissed because one he don't know where the script came from and neither do I I think it was a pharmacy mistake I should have never even had a refill but also I didn't bring in the new bottle that was supposed to have 42 in it but I thought time I only had like 35 but anyways he wanted to see me that following Monday to count my new script to make sure I had it open it but of course I did but I didn't make the appointment because I had other appointments I had to do but he still scheduled me for my regular appointment to see him in 2 weeks which would be next Thursday February 23rd 2017. So I just didn't bother calling or anything like that I don't know why just nervous I guess to go in and have him see that I was really short so I'm just keeping the appointment for Thursday to go see him but like I said before I'm supposed to have 14 in my bottle when I go see him and I only have to at the moment and I still have 6 days before I go see him. Now I have no idea what is going on with the script that magically appeared in the pharmacy I don't know if they're putting me under investigation or not he didn't say anything so I'm not quite sure what to do right now. Because for one I'll be running out in a day or two and for two I'm going to show up at the appointment with no pills and no excuses pretty much. So if someone could please give me advice on how I'm supposed to get more so I don't go through withdrawals and also what I should tell my doctor why I'm out early cuz even if I call him Monday and tell him I just ran out that I'm craving more than what I'm prescribed blah blah that would mean I have 20 pills unaccounted for. Sorry if this story is a little confusing and what not feel free to ask questions and give advice I would really appreciate it actually but I really don't want to go through withdrawals also I don't know how to tell him or what to tell him why I ran out early. By the way a little history on me I have a cervical cerclage which means my cervix is stitched up so I can carry a baby to full term and my stitches are coming out the day before I go see him so I could go into labor at any time so I'm wanting to go see him while I'm still pregnant because like I said before I don't think he can legally cut me off. But that's also another question can a sub doctor legally cut me off while I'm pregnant? Also note that I live in Florida and my Medicaid pays for my doctor and my script so it's not like I'm paying him cash or out-of-pocket. Sorry for the long confusing story my mind is in a jumbled right now and I would just like some advice and help on what to do or if anyone has been in a situation like this and what they did thank you have a good day. Also I know this sounds really really bad but the reason why I'm running out early is because I'm sharing with my spouse that can't afford to go to the sub doctor please don't judge me or my situation thank you. One more thing. I am prescribed 8mg twice a day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Hanne,
First, welcome here and others will soon be along. Congrats on your baby!
Just trying to think out loud here and clarify here. Sometimes when I write things out I'm able to better come up w helping thoughts.
You're on 8mg generic buprenorphine 2X's/day
You live in Florida and are on medicaid ins thru which you see your bup Dr. and obtain your bup script.
You are sharing your bup script w your spouse.
You should have 14 tabs left but only have 1-2 left so you are 6 days short.
Last script you ran out early.
The script before that you lost at Walmart. I'm not sure if it got replaced.
An unexpected script was filled at Walmart which you picked up and sounds like that one is gone?
You missed a monday pill count.
You want/need a script prior to soon delivering your baby.
You are wondering how to get more so you don't go into WDs. Do you mean get more thru your Dr?
And you're asking if a FL Dr can refuse further bup prescriptions for a soon to deliver pregnant mother?
Is this sort of the scenario?
Often when I write things out I can come up w helping thoughts and comments but I'm still stumped other than thinking you need to call your Dr. and let him know. Likely he has run into this before. Hoping your spouse can quickly start his own script bc continued sharing w you is not a sustainable approach. With your next script, w sharing, you'll run out early again - can't see how sharing will continue to work. Is he on medicaid and can he get in to see your Dr. or another Dr.? That's all I've got.
There are 2 Dr's that stop in now and then and maybe they will see your post.
Hopefully others will come along who know more about pregnant mom's on bup and running out! Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:35 pm 

Sorry to hear all the trouble you're in with your doctor. Pelican pretty much summed it up alright but it's doubtful anyone can give you helpful advice that you'd want to hear. What we always recommend is for every person to be completely honest with their prescribing doctor. I can see where that will be a problem for you due to giving some of your meds to your spouse. Still, the truth always prevails and that is the only thing that will convince him to give you more.

Not sure about the legality of denying Buprenorphine to pregnant women but like Pelican said, maybe one of our resident physicians will chime in and set it straight. We are only mods and members who can only go by what we've read here on this site.

What I will say is that I think 16 mg's is way too much for an infant child to be born with. Most of the time doctors will wean/taper you down slowly during your pregnancy to hopefully get you down to about 2-4 mg's, if possible that is. In your case that doesn't seem likely.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, plus the only two who have answered you so far are men (me at least for sure) and we need some women who have been where you are now. It isn't us two.

One more thing. I deleted the other duplicate post you had in the Q&A section. You only need one post and this one is the leader.

Give it some time to let other more experienced members post back to you.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey first of all I'm sorry for the other post lol I was trying to figure out where to post things and still trying o get the hang of this forum. I'm new to this kinda thing but thank you :) and my question was is it legal for a subutex doctor to cut you off completely if you are pregnant? And the other question was I might be able to squeeze by till Monday but that's it :/ and I'm scared to call my doctor and tell him "hey I took to many again can you help me?" And I definitely can't not tell him about me sharing with my spouse. So I was wondering how I should approach the situation? Cause if call Monday and tell him that ,that would indicate that I have tooken 20 more then what I am supposed to in a matter of two weeks pretty much ,butttt if I can maybe buy some on the street to last me till Thursday then I will be only 14 short. But still either way I'm going to be short and I need advice on how I should approach it and what I should say to better help me so I don't get kicked out :/ but yea I'm prescribed 8mgtwice a day but I only take maybe 1 and a quarter a day ,but my pain in the butt spouse taps into them and some days I may take more then 1 an half and forget that I am sharing them and I'm tapping into other days .. sorry if I'm being so confusing lol its the kinda situation that you gotta be in the understand it I guess . Oh one more question also if I can't get anything over the weekend and i start having w/d can I go to the e.r and would they help me ? My doctors office is closed till Monday . Thank u both for responding back I really appreciate it .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Hanne- Welcome and congrats!! I really don't have any advice that will help you now. My advice is going to be for the future. Your spouse really needs to have their own prescription. So many reasons why this needs happen. You said you can't afford it at the moment-I get it. So, until your SO gets their own prescription, I assume you will keep sharing. The only way to not run out early is if you each take 8mgs a day, PERIOD. It's time to start keeping track of what each of you are taking-so you won't ever, ever have this worry again. I would start going to recovery meetings-both of you so you can have more support- and possibly someone to call when either of you have a feeling of taking more than the 8mgs. More accountability for both of you. I'm not sure if your doctor could drop you for noncompliance because you are pregnant, because it isn't about you anymore, it's about the baby. I would go ahead and start calling around for a new one just in case-better to be prepared than have another thing to worry about. So sorry you are having to deal with this stress but the best solution is to prevent it. Can you manage spliting that last pill into 3 and taking one piece Saturday, Sunday and Monday?? That is the only thing I can think of-but please call the doctor on Monday. Be honest, tell him/her you are struggling and they can help you come up with a plan. Your dr might even suggest coming into the office for daily dosing-so don't be surprised if that is mentioned. Your SO would have to get a script then. Sorry, that's all I've got!! Stay strong!! Sending positive vibes!

I don't think 16mgs is too much for an infant child to be born with. From what I have read, it really doesn't matter what dose the mother is on. If I were to get pregnant-I surely would not taper-I'm at 12mg. Pregnancy is full of worry as it is, I would not want another thing to worry about-especially if it meant the baby and I being uncomfortable and it didn't matter one way or the other. Most of the stories that I've read where the mothers did taper during pregnancy, it was the mothers decision to taper, not the doctors insisting they taper.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi htown and thank you for your response,i already have a plan in progress if I happen to get another script and not to be put in this situation again ,and I've signed up for meetings as well ,but right now at this moment I need to worry about one thing at a time . And were I'm from we only have two sub doctors ,one that cost 240.00 per visit but 400.00 for first visit and then my doctor that takes Medicaid,thats why I'm really stressing about this at the moment cause if he cuts me then I have no one else to go to . No matter what I'm going to have to confront him ,butttt I was needing some advice on how to approach it ,because I've already told him last time that I took to many and he got pissed and said I couldn't do that ,hes not like normal sub doctors he's very very strict and not understanding at all . So I only had two questions how do I approach the situation on telling him and if I start going through withdrawals will the e.r help me ? Well maybe one more question,is there any pills out there that I can pull off to look like subutex? That's my last option if I feel like he's going to cut me off then I'll have to buy on the street till I go see him and fake that I'm only short maybe 6 or something .. idk.... I just need one more chance to prove to him and my self that I can do this whole recovery thing. Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 am 

Hey Hanne,

Gosh u got a predicament for sure. Can I just say one thing..... if u try to fake pills or try to pull one over on ur doctor, u will very possibly be kicked out. Do not even try because ur doctor will know. I'm pretty sure doctors dealing in addiction have seen it all and with u already on his radar of not doing well, it'd be safe to assume that he'd find out. So don't do that please.

So what's ur significant other doing to help u? I would never recommend a pregnant lady go buy off the street, but what's ur man doing? At this point, u need to worry about u and ur baby, not sharing with him. So that's gotta change. I don't know the rules on if a doctor can discharge a pregnant woman or not but if she's continuously messing up, I'd think it's possible, so u gotta get this under control. I'm not trying to lecture u but u gotta see this is a circle ur going round and round in.

Now what to tell ur doctor. Imo, ur doctor has seen this running out early so much that he could almost be expecting it. So I think u should just tell him..... look doc I'm pregnant and I feel awful 100% of the time and since I'm an addict I over take my medicine to try to feel somewhat normal.... Ppl that aren't pregnant do that, that's not unbelievable. And honestly, I understand how crappy u feel being pregnant. I've had 3 children and I wasn't addicted yet, and I felt horrible. I couldn't imagine being pregnant and dealing with withdrawal! No way!

Last thing I'll touch on is if u get to feeling withdrawal, go to the er, couldn't hurt. From my days of going to Florida, I know it's a pretty understanding state as far as ppl in withdrawal. I knew a couple that went to jail in Ft Lauderdale (spelling wrong I'm sure ugh) and they said that they received methadone for withdrawal in jail, So the er may be sympathetic too. It's worth trying plus u have insurance. So try it.

I hope u get straightened out henne, u can't keep putting urself through this because ur going to drive urself crazy. Plus ur going to get kicked out of the one place that takes ur insurance and then what will u do? U can't go bk to using after this baby is born. U got to fix this and have a plan :)

Please keep us updated! Good luck and remember, I wasn't lecturing u, just care about what happens to u ~~~~~~~~~~~ that's a hug lol.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A tough situation, with good comments... someone mentioned that the dose isn't related to the incidence of neonatal abstinence syndrome (or NAS, the fancy term for withdrawal symptoms), and that surprising result came from a study looking at the incidence of NAS, that showed about a 50% incidence acrosss a range from 4-16 mg of buprenorphine.

I don't know of any laws protecting pregnant women. That would be a state issue, and we don't have a law like that in Wisconsin. There are rules that are favorable to pregnant women seeking methadone treatment, and hospitals or other health centers sometimes treat pregnant patients differently. One program near me saves a few spots for pregnant women, although the women have to give up the spots after delivery. I'm not sure of the reasoning, as the sick or heroin-using mom of a 3-month-old can probably do as much damage, or more, than a struggling pregnant woman addicted to heroin.

I am on one side of the spectrum that favors keeping people in treatment, even if they struggle. Some docs kick people out for smoking pot one time, or for using swear words (really!). I don't discharge people unless it is clear that I am not going to be able to help them.... BUT... I immediately discharge people who sell or share their meds. I can get my moral compass around sharing with a husband, but condoning that behavior risks a doctors ability to help anybody. I suspect most other prescribers feel the same-- although I was at a meeting once and joined a discussion where the doctor, from somewhere in rural Kentucky, argued that 'it isn't fair to give less than 16 mg because people use money from selling extra to pay their rent'(!!!!!)

Your best option is honesty-- but there is no guarantee that will accomplish anything. I hope your doc is an understanding person-- but realizing that sharing buprenorphine/Suboxone is a serious crime, and doctors get rightfully uncomfortable about being part of that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

To Hanne and all, I'm out of my league here but hope you all will correct me on my mistakes. Just thinking here...
To avoid FL family services involvement, you need to be legally on bup when you enter the hospital so you need to get another script.
The 14 - 20 you are short could look like you're selling them. And that could get you fired.
You said to not judge you so that means you DO know its wrong bc if the money were there, your spouse would have his own script, right? Assuming the answer is yes, then...
With Dr J's good comments on all including the risk, wondering what else can you do? Your Dr. could fire you anyway for your prior outages, failing to show for a med count, plus current outage, right?
If true, maybe tell your Dr. you know that your spouse wrongly took some of your meds last mo/this mo. That you know its wrong and that your spouse knows its wrong and he needs to get his own script. You might also start or end your appt by asking to add spouse into the Dr's medicaid practice or have your spouse come w. You both need bup treatment. How can you both stop bup at 8 mgs and w a newborn...
At the very least, if Dr. wants to release you, ask if you can stay w him thru your delivery in case you deliver way late or would he please give you one last script?

I'm sorry addiction is so hard... Pelican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am wondering how this turned out? Is there more posts elsewhere?