It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just found out I'm pregnant I take one milligram Subs everyday and I have an OB appointment in a couple weeks. I plan to tell them right away that I take Subs,my question is how do you think the doctor will handle it or anyone who's been in my position. will she except me and help me stay on them, will CPS be involved? I'm just nervous that when I'm honest with them that they'll see me as a druggie or turn me away or I don't know I'm going to be honest I'm just nervous how they're going to react and then I know down the line I'll be nervous about withdrawals. I read lots of stories about people who've told their doctor and they've got them on a prescription or that CPS didn't get involved if you have a prescription, or sometimes they do get involved. I just figured I'd ask here to see if anyone's been through what I've been through I'm only almost 5 weeks thank you I'm also in Ohio if that matters

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:21 pm 

This is what I found from a law website from Ohio:

"(C) Notwithstanding the provisions of this rule, a physician may provide OBOT to a pregnant patient during the term of her pregnancy and for two months thereafter, in compliance with the minimal standards of care."

To me that means that there are provisions in Ohio for the care of pregnant women on buprenorphine.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4731-11-12

I found another link that also indicates that addiction treatment with suboxone (buprenorphine) can be provided in Ohio:

https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/obstetric ... gram-stepp

"If you are dependent on opiates, including heroin, morphine, codeine, Oxycontin, Dilaudid, methadone and others, we can prescribe Suboxone®. This medication may help you have less severe withdrawal symptoms and make it easier for you to taper off as part of recovery. If you are prescribed this medication, you must participate in weekly substance abuse group-counseling therapy and see your prescribing physician weekly."

It seems that things may be looking up for pregnant opiate addicts in Ohio!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 am 

Hey Ward welcome and congrats on ur pregnancy!

I think u should be as honest as possible with ur OB, after all giving them all the facts is what's best for ur baby plus I'm sure they'd find out. Imo it's best to tell them first before they find out. And ur OB will hopefully be understanding and help get u an appointment with a doctor to prescribe buprenorphine. I don't think they're going to want u to just stop cold turkey and have withdrawal, so finding u a doctor should be a big priority.... u definitely can't keep getting suboxone illegally.

I can completely understand the fear u have about telling them, u fear judgement and just the unknown of what this doctor will do. I think once u tell him or her u will feel better to have gotten that weight off ur chest. Please let us know how it goes! Good luck :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I feel for you, and I have met many woman in a similar position. Unfortunately, some doctors and regulators see every person on 'illicit' buprenorphine as someone trying to 'get high'-- when in reality, almost every person I've met on bupe or Suboxone, without a prescription, took it in order to get away from heroin. Usually they only bought it 'on the street' after searching in vain for a prescriber. After all, why risk legal charges and pay $40 per strip, if you can get it prescribed and covered by insurance?

Starting tomorrow you must look for a prescriber, if you haven't already. My web site at http://www.suboxdocs.com has links to other web sites that list prescribers. Unfortunately, many of the directories have become outdated. The one at suboxone.com is probably one of the most current ones out there.

If you find a prescriber, CPS involvement is unlikely (at least that would be the case in Wisconsin). If you are treated, that doctor can be an advocate for you. If you don't have a doctor, then yes, there are risks that CPS could get involved. But understand-- there is no market out there for babies taken by CPS! They work to get babies back to healthy moms-- and more and more, they notice that moms on buprenorphine are often the healthiest moms in their caseloads.

Make the calls-- and ask your OB if he/she can help. In my home town, the local hospital reserves buprenorphine spots for pregnant women. They have to find a new doc after the baby is born, but at least they have some time to work on that problem.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I recently had a patient move to another state. She is having trouble finding a new provider. When I called an Rx in for her I asked the pharmacist if she could give her a list of doctors that she is filling scripts for. She knows several and had some idea who had openings or not. So ask your pharmacist, they are connected with who is currently active.
Some of the databases are woefully outdated. In a couple of them some of the listees are no longer active. In my area one moved out of state 6 years ago and another lost his license in 2015.
Here, CPS has very minimal involvement, mostly to ensure the mother has a safe environment and necessary supports.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Ward,

Ya, be sure to find a prescriber!! In Amy's links in her post, are 2 Ohio phone numbers to try.
One is in a footnote in her first link. Ohio Department of Mental health and Addiction Services 1-877-275-6364 http://mha.ohio.gov/ Looks like you can search by county.

The other is to call the Ohio State Univ STEPP program in Amy's 2nd link. This program has a Stable Cradle program for addicted moms which includes bup. Start w 614-293-2222 . Reportedly there are other programs around the state that you could ask about if you're not in the Columbus area.

if you are near Columbus try Columbus Area Integrated Health Services Inc. 614-252-0711

And docm2's pharmacist idea is great! bc they are actively prescribing it.

Be prepared to search suboxone providers/clinics online and call and call. Just the way it is. If it gets frustrating, take a break - and start again. You'll find one!
if you have a cell phone you could *67 which blocks your phone number if you are concerned w making lots of calls. Wishing you my best, P