It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone. I have been lurking on here for quite a while since I found out I was pregnant and now I need some advice. I'm 32 weeks along and have been on Suboxone almost 3 years. Actually am on Subutex now as I switched as soon as I found out I was pg. Here's a little of my history, in the beginning I was on 8 mg and ended up dropping down to 4 mg after 6 mo. or so because I had some pills stolen from me and didn't want to tell the doc so I cut my dose down to get by and found that I was fine on only 4 mg which I have been on for the past 2 yrs. In January I switched to Subutex and after a couple of months started feeling like it wasn't working quite as well. The farther along I have got, the worse I have felt unless I take more Subutex. I work 12 hour shifts on my feet all day and the lethargy and back pain has been bad but I work through it except I feel the only thing that helps me do that is taking an extra 2-4 mg of Subutex. That leaves me with the problem of running short before I can get my refill so the past few months the last week of my prescription is not so fun as I have to cut down to 2 mg to make it until refill, I actually have had to go without for a day and def feel withdrawal (mostly mental anxiety not really any physical symptoms) I called my sub doc a couple of months ago and asked about a dose increase. I did not want to tell her I have been taking extra I just told her about my pain and anxiety plus cravings and she did not want to increase my dose but instead prescribed an antidepressant. It has helped with my depression and anxiety but I still feel like I need a dose increase of subutex, however I am reluctant to ask the doc again as I don't want to come accross as drug seeking, I don't want to admit to taking extra because they are really strict and I'm afraid they will want to cut me off after I have the baby. I feel like I did when I was using, worrying if I'm gonna have enough to get through till refill day, counting pills, etc. I know it is addict behavior and like I said am afraid to admit this to the doc. She said before that a dose increase wouldn't be good for the baby and she likes that I have been on a smaller dose, says that baby will have less chance of having NAS. My baby is fine, I have had several ultrasounds to check growth because I've had poor weight gain and she's actually measuring ahead. I also have a doppler and monitor her heart rate as well as movements. What do you guys think I should do?
Also, want to add that I have heard the generic subutex from Roxane doesn't work as well which is what I have been getting. Do you think that might be part of the problem? I don't know if there is any truth to that so if someone has any experience with if there is actually a difference with the brands/manufacturer please comment. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would very calmly and professionally tell you doctor, face to face, just what you have said here. The AD has helped, but you still feel that the Sub dose is not adequate. I believe your metabolism increases during pregnancy because of the added strain of the growing fetus, and that may be contributing.
Another member here recently had a healthy baby and she was at 8mg her entire pregnancy, I believe. Hopefully you will hear from her soon. You sound like a responsible person who is staying clean and working a demanding job. There is no reason you should be taken as drug seeking. I can understand the doc wanting you to be at the lowest dose possible, but if it isn't adequate how does that make sense?
Ask for what you need. The worst she can do is say no. Good luck, and let us know how it goes,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and am prescribed 16mg a day, but have only been taking 8 for quite sometime. My doctor wants me to stay on this dose(16mg). I used to skip days alot and feel fine, but I definitely feel WD symptoms if I do this now. My doctor said it's normal because of being pregnant and increased blood volume among other reasons. So, the way you are feeling is understandable, but I don't know why your doctor wouldn't know this. I have also heard the Roxane brand is weaker, but I don't know how valid that claim is. That's what I take and I've never noticed a difference. I've also heard that the dose of Sub you take while pregnant doesn't really make a difference in whether your baby will experience NAS or not. Some women on high doses have babies without it and vice versa. I would just tell your doctor that it's not working and you feel WD's. That's really your only option, I guess. Hope everything works out for you :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:56 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Chaotic!

Welcome to the forum! Im so happy that you've become a member!!

Also, congrats on your lil bundle of joy......I bet you're so excited to meet your baby!!!

Im so sorry your Subutex dosen't seem to be holding you. I agree with Cinnagirl. I believe the extra blood volume you experience during pregnancy, effects your metabolism of Sub?? It seems like I even read that somewhere when I was doing my research.....while I was pregnant.

I had my baby boy 4months ago. I was on 16mg of Subutex almost my entire pregnancy.....AND, MY BABY WAS JUST FINE.

I know how hard it can be, feeling like your dose ISN'T holding you all day. (I went through this myself, while I was pregnant)
AND, IT SUCKS!! Im sure you're ALREADY feeling fatigued, sore, and depressed, just from the pregnancy! And then.....whenever your Sub DOSEN'T seem to be doing its job......NOT A GOOD COMBINATION!

I know you stated that your Sub doctor isn't in favor of raising your dose, but I think you should try talking to him/her AGAIN.
As Lilly stated, explain to your doctor how you've been feeling....JUST LIKE YOU EXPLAINED IT TO US.

Look, I know it can be scary.....telling your doctor EXACTLY how you feel. But honestly, thats really what he's there for....to HELP!
You said- "I feel like I did when I was USING, worrying if I'm gonna have enough to get through till refill day, counting pills, etc."

The whole point of being on the Sub (besides staying outta withdrawl), is to NOT feel like we did while we were in active addiction.
The worrying, all that anxiety, and cravings.....TELL YOUR DOCTOR YOU'RE EXPERIENCING THESE THINGS.
(Also, mention the blood volume thing)
Any compassionate doctor isn't gonna allow his PREGNANT patient to continue feeling this way. Its not good for you, nor your baby!

And about the generic Subutex from Roxanne labs.....Mmmm, its OK.

Have you always gotten the generic, since you've been on Subutex? I've used both, the brand Subutex and the generic Roxa Subutex. Here's my opinion:

The brand Subutex is a bit stronger.....but it tends to make ME a little sleepy sometimes.

The brand dissolves pretty quickly, and is easier to break in 1/2 or even 1/4's.

The generic Subutex from Roxanne labs seems to be harder and takes LONGER to dissolve.

Fact is.........THE GENERIC SUBUTEX IS A HELL OF ALOT LESS EXPENSIVE THAN THE BRAND! At my pharmacy, the brand Subutex runs almost $11/per pill!!! (I don't know if you have insurance or not, but what I often do is get half/half.....cuts the cost some!)

Good Luck!

Try again to speak with your doctor, and please let us know what happens.
You don't have too much longer until your BIG DAY! I hope you're able to resolve these issues and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.
Take a moment and read my birth thread, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the kind replies and welcome :) So do you think I should tell my doctor that I have been taking extra and running out the past few months? Like I said before, they are really strict and in my treatment plan/contract it says I will take my medicine as prescribed with no early refills so I don't want them to think I'm abusing it! I don't know, maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'm really lucky to have this doctor to begin with, she's actually my 2nd sub doc as the first guy I was seeing retired almost a year ago, there were no other sub docs in town (I live in a small area) so all of his 75 patients or so were going to be shit outta luck, except he knew this doctor in another town 90 miles from here who was willing to take on 12 of his sub patients and he referred the ones that he felt were truly involved in recovery and compliant and thankfully I was one of them! I do think I've been on it too long and if I would have known when I started what I know now, I might have done things different, but that's a whole other topic :? .
I have pretty much gotten over the guilt and worry about having a baby on sub. I have done so much research and have read every thread and people's stories on here (I feel like I already know some of you :D ) This pregnancy has been sooooo hard, unlike my 1st which I breezed through with no problems really except my son was 5 weeks premature (my water broke and they had to induce) but he was perfectly fine! I wasn't on sub of course and was a lot younger then. I have been really sick this whole pregnancy, gained no weight, extremely tired all the time, I've had thyroid issues which it are now stabilized but it has just not been a joyful pregnancy. Plus, I have continued to work full time and have only called off once! Yes, I do have a very demanding job, I'm a nurse (LPN) and work in a nursing home.
Bottom line is, I don't feel the sub is holding me and hasn't for quite some time! I do feel much better when I take an extra 2-4 mg. So, I think I will call and schedule an appt. with the sub doc who I have only seen in person twice in 10 months. I've been seeing a counselor once a month who is connected to the sub doc but he's gone now so I have to start seeing a new one, grrrr.
Ok, enough rambling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:42 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I would leave out the part about taking more, just in case. But, that's just my opinion and what I would do if it were me. I know honesty is supposed to be the best policy, but sometimes it can backfire on you. I would just tell the doctor that I feel like I'm having WD's and the medicine isn't working anymore. And definitely throw in that you have been researching online about how being pregnant increases blood volume and causes meds to not work as effectively....maybe find something online about it and print it out and take it with you.

I feel for you and I hope everything works out! At least you are close to the end, so even if he won't bump up your dose the problem should correct itself soon after giving birth :) Hang in there, momma!

I pray every night that everything goes smooth at the hospital for the baby and I. I'm trying not to think about it all too much because it just stresses me out. I finally told my husband about the possibility of the baby having WD's today and he was not happy. He is not supportive with the whole Sub thing at all! So, he is only adding to my guilt :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If it were me, I wouldn't say I was having withdrawals. He can look at your pupils and see they aren't dilated. In fact many of us have very small, sometimes pinpoint pupils on suboxone. So I wouldn't recommend saying that. Besides, not telling him something is one thing; coming out and lying is different, don't you think? It depends on how you look at recovery and that whole rigorous honesty thing. Anyway, what I would say, and you can tell him or not that you've taken extra, is that you feel it's not enough (true) and you're having bad cravings (true?) and are fearing a relapse (true?). I'd add that the whole thing is stressing me out (which again, is true) and in turn stressing the baby out - or at least you're worried about that (still true). I just don't see how any doctor could deny you an extra few measly milligrams a day. And personally, I'd say all that AND I'd admit to taking extra on occasion, but that's just me.

Any way you decide to handle it, I hope you get a dose increase so you can get some relief. Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Just to clarify--I wasn't suggesting you lie when I said to tell him you're feeling WD, I was assuming that's how you felt. I guess I misunderstood. Upon re-reading I see you are saying you just don't feel like it's working as well because of feeling pain and lethargy and taking more gives you relief. Right? Well, I still wouldn't admit to taking more, but would just explain how you feel honestly about everything except that part.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, I finally called and spoke with my sub doc's nurse today. I have been putting it off, thinking this is all mental or that my body will adjust. Well, last night I woke up at about 3:30 a.m. with a headache, trying to go back to sleep was awful, I had restless legs, creepy crawly feeling, went to the bathroom and started dry heaving, then got goose bumps. At first I didn't know what the heck was going on and then I had a flashback to 3 years ago when I would be detoxing from pills. I then took my blood pressure and it was 144/96 :shock: . So, I took half of my day's dose (4 mg) at 4 am after contemplating going to the ER but did not want to wake my hubby and try to figure out what to do with the kids in the middle of the night, etc. She was very nice and told me it is not uncommon for some women to need a temporary dose increase later in pregnancy due to the increased blood volume. Unfortunately the doctor was already gone for the day by the time she called me back so I have to wait until tomorrow for an answer.

I guess I don't understand how some women can taper later in pregnancy and be ok or remain on the same dose and not go through this. Am I that weak or is my body just different than some? Even though I have read and was told by the nurse about a possible need for a dose increase in some pregnant women it seems I read a lot of stories of people tapering and haven't come accross any of anybody needing more like me :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, first off you are absolutely not weak. Everyone's body is different and reacts differently to meds, especially when pregnant. I am glad that your nurse was nice and understood. It is funny how we get scared and work ourselves up about telling drs what we need. It probablygoes back to when we were in active addiction and our guilt from that. I just wanted to make sure you continue to check your blood pressure. If it remains high you should see your OB ASAP because it could be pre eclampsia. If it is and goes unchecked it could be dangerous for you. Let us know how you are doing and hope you feel better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you picking up the phone and asking for what you needed. I think it's things like that (caring for yourself, and trusting yourself) that really help us in our recovery. And please don't think you are weak. Everyone's physiology is different, and also, since you switched to Subutex your absorption might not be as good as it was with the softer Suboxone tablet.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Lilly

Post subject: update me please!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Cinnagirl wrote:
I'm 30 weeks pregnant and am prescribed 16mg a day, but have only been taking 8 for quite sometime. My doctor wants me to stay on this dose(16mg). I used to skip days alot and feel fine, but I definitely feel WD symptoms if I do this now. My doctor said it's normal because of being pregnant and increased blood volume among other reasons. So, the way you are feeling is understandable, but I don't know why your doctor wouldn't know this. I have also heard the Roxane brand is weaker, but I don't know how valid that claim is. That's what I take and I've never noticed a difference. I've also heard that the dose of Sub you take while pregnant doesn't really make a difference in whether your baby will experience NAS or not. Some women on high doses have babies without it and vice versa. I would just tell your doctor that it's not working and you feel WD's. That's really your only option, I guess. Hope everything works out for you :)

Can you update me on what it means if you are pregnant with the increased blood volume and all-does that make you feel more w/d symptoms? like, if I was preg and went down from 2mg to 1mg, I would feel it MORE due to blood volume increase?

Im trying to understand so thanks!:) and congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Jenzo-- Well, everyone is different and feels things differently, of course. For instance, some women have been able to taper down successfully and some even jump off completely and are fine. I just know for me that I used to take 8mg or sometimes 16mg and then I could skip a day and sometimes 2 days and feel absolutely no WD's. But, when I have skipped just one day in the past month I felt WD's. I mentioned it to my Sub doctor and he said it was to be expected because of my increased blood volume due to pregnancy. Hope that makes sense/helps you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Cinnagirl wrote:
Jenzo-- Well, everyone is different and feels things differently, of course. For instance, some women have been able to taper down successfully and some even jump off completely and are fine. I just know for me that I used to take 8mg or sometimes 16mg and then I could skip a day and sometimes 2 days and feel absolutely no WD's. But, when I have skipped just one day in the past month I felt WD's. I mentioned it to my Sub doctor and he said it was to be expected because of my increased blood volume due to pregnancy. Hope that makes sense/helps you!

that is so weird!! i am at 3mg, some days just 2mg. i cant believe how strong this stuff is!! i am literally blown away.
well i am definitely going to be looking out to here how your delivery goes and the aftermath. i am keeping you in my prayers and please keep me updated!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:16 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Jenzo-- Thanks and I will keep you in mine also :) I will definitely post after my delivery to let you and any other curious Sub mommies-to-be know how my experience was. This site has provided me with alot of information that I couldn't find anywhere else and I appreciate it, so I would like to add what I can to help others.

It IS crazy how powerful this drug is! I have been on it almost 2 years and I wish I wouldn't have stayed on it for so long knowing what I know now. I want to get off of it after the baby comes, but I'm terrified of the WD and I actually take it for pain management, so that's another issue. SIGH....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Cinnagirl wrote:
Jenzo-- Thanks and I will keep you in mine also :) I will definitely post after my delivery to let you and any other curious Sub mommies-to-be know how my experience was. This site has provided me with alot of information that I couldn't find anywhere else and I appreciate it, so I would like to add what I can to help others.

It IS crazy how powerful this drug is! I have been on it almost 2 years and I wish I wouldn't have stayed on it for so long knowing what I know now. I want to get off of it after the baby comes, but I'm terrified of the WD and I actually take it for pain management, so that's another issue. SIGH....

yea its really strong and i want a baby now!!! i feel so selfish but my other is 2 and i want her to have a sibling!! what do i do?? is it RIGHT to get pregnant on sub?? i need some opinions!! please do continue to update me/us! i am really inspired by this sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I do realize it is easier to have an opinion from the outside looking in and only you know how you feel so you need to make the decision that is right for you. If i was in your shoes I would ask myself a question am I still on sub because I am scared to go thru withdrawls or is it because I feel its the only way I will remain clean and not relapse? If the answer is the 1st then I would come of sub first because I would rather experience the withdrawl than taking the chance my baby would. If the answer is the second I would have to decide if I was stable enough in my recovery to have another child. Again these are just what i would do but it is easier said because I have never been there. I hope everything works out for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I must step in and say that Breezy_ann, in my opinion, is 100% spot on. I agree with everything she said, without reservation. Please think about what she said, not only for you but for your future child.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey I'm also on suboxone and pregnant waiting to be switched to subutex. I'm also having issues with feeling crappy all the time and feeling like I need more subs. I was on 8mg and went back up to 16mg and still feel like I need more it sucks. I was honest with my doctor because I was taking more than prescribed and running out before my refill date. My doctors doesn't want me to up my dose anymore obviously because I'm pregnant and should start tapering down. Anyway he Sadie take 4mg 4 times a day instead. So that might help you. It hasn't helped me much lol but I'm trying to cope with it. I hope you feel better and if your doctor is chill like mine then be honest with them. Or maybe just say every couple of days I take a little bit more because I feel so shitty...or like I said try cutting it into smaller pieces and then taking more times a day. :)