It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all, I'm new here. I've been reading through this forum for a few months and decided today, I would reach out.

I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant with my second boy, and my fiancé and I couldn't be happier. I've been taking suboxone since October of 2015, after I relapsed for a short period of time out of treatment.
Suboxone has worked wonders in my life, however, I never planned on getting pregnant while on maintenance therapy.
I had my first son in 2011, before any of my addiction issues came to light, so my pregnancy with him was incredibly easy and worry-free.
My first thought when I discovered that I was pregnant was "I'm going to stop my suboxone." Obviously, that is not good for myself or the baby.
I've tapered down from 20mg/daily to 4/mg daily of suboxone (now subutex,) and I just don't feel comfortable tapering down any further at this point.
I've done my fair share of research regarding NAS, etc. I am getting my medication legally and seeing a therapist, and I am also keeping records and personal documentation for the hospital, as well as CPS, if need be.
I look at my six year old, and I am filled with gratitude that he was conceived before my addiction reared its ugly mug.
But I am also so incredibly guilt-ridden because of the risk of NAS.
Any advice or experience? Thanks all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:08 am 

Hey Bombdotcom.... cool username btw, welcome!!

Congrats on ur pregnancy first of all and I hope ur feeling well, I had so much morning sickness and I actually had it all day long until around 4 months along.

I have 3 children and all were born before my active addiction started. I didn't become addicted to opiates until my 30's and a yr or so after I had my youngest, that's when my addiction started so I haven't personally experienced what ur going through right now. I will say this though, I know if I became pregnant right now I would absolutely continue my buprenorphine treatment. I know it would be hard to know that the baby could have withdrawal but it would still the best option for me knowing how I would very possibly relapse without it. Now I'm just speaking for myself and how I'd feel if I became pregnant, so I'm not at all saying you'd relapse without buprenorphine, but I know I'd be at risk without it. So of course relapsing would be worse for the baby, I don't see anything wrong with u continuing ur treatment during pregnancy. I think it's a wise decision honestly and ur doing what is best. I also wouldn't taper down to a very small dose, I'd try to stay comfortable. Some ppl do feel they need to taper their dose low and if that's what makes them feel better then that's up to them but I don't see anything wrong with staying at a comfortable dose for u.

Also, if u read some of these very brave ladies stories on this forum that has went through it, not all babies go through withdrawal. So there's a good chance ur baby won't have any, if it does then it'll be ok and you'll get through it. Also breastfeeding the baby helps, so hopefully ur considering that too. Please read as much as possible in this Pregnancy and Suboxone section, it's full of great threads.

I think ur doing all the right things for u and ur baby. Not everyone understands and that's ok, they don't have a clue what addicts go through and how hard we work at life and to add bringing a baby into this world on top of all that, there's no way they'd completely understand unless they've been through it. Don't let anyone make u feel guilty :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jenjen, thank you so much for the reply!
Yes, my morning sickness is still running strong, ugh. Lol. The "new" taste of the subutex isn't helping that at all but I'm slowly getting used to it, I think.
I can honestly say that, on top of the pregnancy symptoms, if I were to experience withdrawal from buprenorphine at this time I too would be at risk for relapse. I'm by no means above anyone else in that regard, pregnant or not. That's just being honest!
I DID taper from 20mg/daily to 4mg/daily with little discomfort, however, I won't go lower than this. 4mg is where I am comfortable, so I know my baby is comfortable as well.
It's comforting to know that a good majority of women do continue their treatment with buprenorphine while expecting, and the stories on here written by women who go through this make me feel a ton better.
Thank you for your words of encouragement!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I briefly considered tapering and possibly discontinuing the medication after I found out I was pregnant. I didn't feel as much guilt initially honestly. My OB expressed zero concern and absolutely supported my staying at my dose and switching from Suboxone to Subutex. He told me initially that "yes, it is likely the baby will be dependent..." however he never used the terms withdrawal or NAS. When I mentioned my plan to exclusively breastfeed he said that would be the best thing to do and would help tremendously with any symptoms or discomfort she may have.

It actually wasn't until I began reading more into it, that I realized even on Subutex my baby could experience wd symptoms, that I began worrying. I was very stressed about it for awhile actually and began feeling really really guilty that this was even a possibility. The idea of my baby possibly having to stay in the hospital for a minimum of 5 days to be monitored "just in case" (due to my history) not to mention how it made me feel to think of her needing to be treated with methadone or morphine!!

I talked to my OB about it after the first trimester. {I'm 33w +4d today} I wanted to know how the hospital handled these cases and what I could expect. The last thing I wanted was for my baby to be labeled or diagnosed dependent based simply off of my history and medications. He said the neonatologist is the one who generally decides and handles these cases and that the only way to know for sure how they would handle it would be to meet with them and ask... but then he said that he thought that could potentially put information out there that doesn't necessarily need to be out there and that I could be shooting myself in the foot. He assured me that normally, in his experience with Sub babies, that baby goes home when mom goes home. That there is no general hard and fast rule that says they need to keep baby just to monitor and look for signs of wd. I'm going to trust him on this.

I take about 8mg a day of Subutex (half a tablet in the morning and half at lunch or after work). I'm prescribed 12mg but since the tablets dissolve so slowly and do not break very well it's difficult for me to take that much. I could probably be ok at 4mg a day but the thought of going below that... just seemed too risky for me.
Not to mention what things would be like after I deliver IF I did come off of it. Would I stay off of it? I relapsed once before after being off of it for almost 4 years. Would it be worth it to put myself through that just for the pregnancy and then get back on it? That didn't make sense. Knowing how pregnancy affects blood volume and how I'd likely not be able to get down to a super low dose by delivery anyways... and knowing how stressful it would be to feel rushed to get down to an "acceptable" dose... I just decided to follow the research and hold tight to the experiences of others whose babies went home with mom and were completely fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please don't feel guilty. I was filled with guilt and dread and worry my entire pregnancy. I was on less than 1mg a day when I delivered my son (in June) and he was born free from withdrawal. You're doing the right thing, seeing a doctor and taking care of yourself. All will be just fine.. please enjoy your pregnancy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 am 

FirstTimeMom thank u for sharing that! That's exactly what BombDotCom needs to hear. I'm so happy that mothers like urself continue to spread their journey with the mothers just starting to experience it. It helps so much!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you ladies for your experience! :)