It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's a nightmare situation for you. A woman I know has recently been through a serious relapse and is in a vulnerable situation. She was stabilized on Sub when she discovered she was pregnant. Her doc gave her a script for 1 week and told her she won't continue to treat her (don't know the whole story). No other Sub doc will take her on as a new patient because she is pregnant, and she has been advised to go on Methadone. She is currently buying Suboxone on the street, even though she is aware she needs to be on Subutex.
I gave her the links to this site and she may be lurking here now. I advised her to use the physician finder, but she has already called everyone in the area. Are doctors so afraid of liability that they will force a pregnant woman to get Sub on the street or even relapse?

P. S. She has been on methadone in the past and is loathe to go that route again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh my gosh,,,,what a nightmare.......
I sure hope she finds somebody soon...very soon....
I dont blame her for buying it off the street. I'd most likely do the same thing, if put in that situation.
from just reading all the info on this site, the doc says the fetus is much less likely to go through w/d from subutex than the methadone....
jeez,,,,I just wanted to post that your friend is in my thoughts and prayers...becuase you hadnt gotten any responses yet.
Its just an awful situation for her to be in.
Im fairly new to this site, but have been on subs almost 7 months.

I really hope she finds a doctor that's eduacated enough to help her.

best of luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry about your friend what area is she from I had a bad dic who was the one giving me the suboxen and when i found out I was pregnant, he had told me I had to get an abortion. So I went on the hunt for a new doc and found an awesome doc in arlington heights il he took me knowing I was like 8 weeks pregnant and no issue with treating once so ever and started me on the subutex right away and then told me I can come e/o month and he will treat me how I want like if i want to quit hell help but says it might be better to stay on just at a low dose but if she from this area I can give you the doc info hope things work out

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is a shocking situation, especially coming out of a relapse. I've seen women manage to muster up amazing motivation to stay away from drugs while pregnant though. I swear, for every child born dependent on opiates, there'd be a few with mothers who managed to "pull up" while pregnant. But it seems like it's more of a "9 month break" than a "time to get clean" kinda motivation.

If she can't get Sub, and refuses methadone (good idea), then can she get somewhere safe to dry out, and get the detox bit over before it gets risky? Maybe look into women's rehabs? Or a great uncle who owns a ranch out the middle of nowhere? I dunno how it is up up that part of the world, but maybe there's some kind of charities / services, or some place somewhere that helps pregnant mothers with addiction?

Seems to be if she can't get Sub, and refuses methadone, then the abstinent option may be the way. And the baby wouldn't be born into a Suboxone taper as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tear brings up a great point - she could contact her local Community Mental Health agency - usually it's with the local county offices. If they don't have a program to help then they should be able to refer her to an agency that can assist. It's worth a shot. There are so many non-profit agencies out there to explore and there must be some that can offer some kind of assistance. At the very least the local CMH should be able to provide her with some kind of social worker/advocate.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's my understanding that she has gone to see a doctor for high risk pregnancy at a major university, and I haven't heard yet whether she was able to get a script for Subutex. As far as the other options you all have mentioned, she has already persued many of them. I encouraged her to visit this forum, and she may be lurking here now, so I don't want to speak for her. Maybe she will decide to post and let us know what is happening.