It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:46 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just wanted to come on here and tell whoever come's on here looking for answers about Pregnancy and Suboxone. YOUR BABY WILL HAVE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. I have found this out first hand. Although Me and My Wife, Told the Doctor about it and they are taking care of the baby. It's still a bitch to watch your child go thru this stupidity that you have caused. But I REPEAT.... YOUR BABY WILL HAVE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS IF YOU'RE TAKING SUBOXONE WHILE YOU ARE PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello,I am certainly sorry to hear that your baby's going thru NAS, and especially sorry to hear that you feel you're to blame for it. there are differring opinions on this matter, but nothing that I read suggests that every single baby born to a mother who takes buprenorphine will have NAS. active opioid addiction to full agonists is far more dangerous for mother and baby and opiate withdrawal is very dangerous to a pregnancy, and in my opinion, taking prescribed buprenorphine during pregnancy is the responsible thing for an opioid addict to do, and isn't stupid at all. I say this not to argue with you but, only because I'd hate for a woman who is pregnant and contemplating Suboxone treatment, or is new to it, to think that they are harming their babies by taking their medication. And I certainly hate for you to think that you've done something wrong by taking medication to treat your addiction. there are several articles written by Dr. Junig about neonatal abstinence syndrome, full of info about the incidence of it in expectant mothers taking buprenorphine. Most of what I've read about the topic says that infants will experience NAS in about 50 percent of bupe taking pregnant women, but not in all of them. you can read them by going to http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com, and type in the key words, pregnancy, or newborn withdrawal, and you'll be directed to the appropriate articles about the subject.

Again, I want to say that I'm very sorry for what you, wife, and baby are going through, please continue to post and let us know how you/wife/ baby are doing please. Hoping for the best for you.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:37 am 

OP, plenty of people come on here scared that their baby will go through withdrawal because mom is on suboxone. Many, many stories here are that their babies did not go through any NAS even though they were on suboxone. If their babies do go through withdrawal, the medical staff takes control and makes sure the baby is comfortable. I'm sure it's not easy for a parent to watch, but there are plenty of worse things a baby can go through.

I'm sorry that your baby is experiencing NAS and obviously you are feeling guilty about it. But your baby is much better off being born to stable parents who are treating their addiction than to a couple actively abusing heroin. For one thing, the doctor who runs this site has said many times that babies born to moms on suboxone are much less likely to go through withdrawal than babies born to moms on heroin and methadone. If your wife had tried to go off suboxone during her pregnancy your baby would have still gone through withdrawal, but with no medication to comfort it. And she could have easily miscarried. As I said, there are worse things a baby can go through as a newborn.

I know you're very reactive right now, but it doesn't do any good for you to come on this forum and try to scare people. Your baby's withdrawal is evidence of one baby going through withdrawal. You can't extrapolate that every baby will go through withdrawal just because your baby is. I hope your baby is feeling much better soon.

Amy