It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My daughter is due on Nov. 15 and I just recently found out she been taking low dose (2mgs) subutex unprescribed her entire pregnancy. Can she taper off safely within the next 2 weeks and the baby will not have withdrawals? She would not go to rehab because they wanted to put her on methadone which she felt was worse. I am so worried, I have read everything I can online trying to educate myself as I am completely unfamiliar with this all. Do the doctors test mercronium always or only in case of withdrawal signs? Should she continue to use the 2mgs right before delivery? Any comments or suggestions and feedback would be appreciated. Totally worried grandma here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tapering off Suboxone in the 1st or 3rd trimester is not suggested. From my understanding, tapering during those times carries with it the risk of miscarriage. Hopefully some of our fantastic women members will chime in here shortly and give you some more answers to your questions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Take a deep breath. I wouldn't recommend her tapering during this late stage in her pregnancy. I took Subutex my entire pregnancy and my son is perfectly healthy. As are a lot of babies.

Taking any medication can pose a risk of withdrawal to the baby. This risk is very slim. If it does happen, her doctors will be very educated to help take care of it. It is much worse for a baby to withdrawal in the womb.

If I were you, I'd stop reading Google. Its only going to scare you. Try to keep her calm, and be very supportive. There is a great possibility the baby will be just fine.