It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Pre-employment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all! This will be my first post, though I've read a lot of these here forums over the last couple years (which keeps me sane) :) So I've been on my Suboxone for 2 1/2 years and I have a script, but I took a pre-employment urine test not screen, (so basically not tested in a quick cup but will be sent to Quest for testing.) On my paperwork it says 20453N CD11-10P/THC50 and I cannot find any information online about what kind of panel this will be. Maybe a 10? Anyways, the actual HR lady who hired me administered the test so when she asked if I had prescriptions I replied no. I thought Suboxone was to be discreet? I know there are a lot of posts about what will show up and what won't. I guess it won't show up as anything but Bupe..but does anyone know if they even test Bupe? I don't care if Quest knows what I'm on but I really didn't want my employer to know..should I wait to see what happens? Should I call Quest personally? I just didn't want to be known as a liar for not being honest in the first place...but just didn't figure it was anyone's business, I didn't want my employer to know. Guess you can say I'm judgemental when I say she would have probably judged me. Any helpful answers or knowledge would be much appreciated. Oh, I am from SouthWest Ohio if that matters :/ But Quest is probably the same everywhere.

Post subject: Re: Pre-employment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:55 pm 

Hey Britt,
Welcome, ..glad you ve joined us. This subject pops up time to time. Can't say for sure just what the answer is.
I totally understand your wanting privacy.
But drug screening these days could include Buprenorphine. It all depends on the lab?..

Or if the employer request a bupe screen also.
Since you have already told the H@R a little fib, Im not sure just what you can do to change it. Other than calling her and telling her of your treatment. Or wait it out..

Its just a damn shame, here we are trying like hell to do the right thing and still have to deal with stigma for just being on this med!!!

Hope it works out for ya Britt..just my 2 cents....

Razor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:47 am 

If it shows up and she asks tell her you're on it for chronic pain. I still don't know whether legally she is allowed to ask or if you're not required to tell her anything. Someone tell us!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I work at a state hospital which is the third largest in the nation. When I had my pre-employment test I was still taking prescription morphine and hydrocodone. They asked me if I had a prescription, which I did, but they did not ask what it was for nor would they let me give an explanation. I even had my prescription bottles in a bag with me...they didn't want to see them. All they wanted was a letter from my doctor stating that I was prescribed these meds and that they would not impair me or prevent me from performing my work.

It is not the HR, or in this case the pre-employment physical doctor's place to diagnose me and determine my treatment. They just need to ensure that I am fit for the position.

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:12 am 

As far as bupe being included in the drug test, I'd say u have a pretty good chance that they will. I know in my area, it's become pretty standard for bupe to be included in employment screening tests. That could just be because ppl in this area are constantly abusing suboxone and getting caught selling their medicine to get their drug of choice and not interested in doing it for recovery like it's meant to be. It may not be tested for in other places like it is here though. Regardless, u have a script and in my opinion that's all that should matter. I wish u lot's of luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks all for the replies. I figured I would wait it out and if I get the dreaded phone call I will just be honest. Kinda sucks that me and maybe others out there as well have to feel embarassed about taking our meds just because of what someone else might think, when honestly I want to tell the world and everyone in it how proud I am of myself! I love my subs I shouldn't be ashamed of taking a med that has helped me get my life back. I haven't heard anything yet, but I will definitely update once I hear anything.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I just joined this forum. I also just took (30 minutes ago ) a drug test for a driving job. I already a the same type of job. It was an 11 panel non dot drug screen. The nurse looked at the results 3 times and the comparison chart on the way as many times, turned her mouth sideways and walked to computer. I saw her click and electronically initial- initial results - negative. But then she packed it up to be shipped away. I take subutex and have taken it for 5 years without a prescription. I am down to 1/4 8 mg piLL twice a day. I last took yesterday at around 2 pm and took test at 10:30 this morning. What are the odds I pass it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:53 am 

Hey Tooly welcome!

The only answer I can give u is my opinion, and if they test for buprenorphine I'm pretty positive u will test positive for it. I can't say for sure how long it stays in ur system, but if u took some the day before, then u will test positive for it. Now will they test for it since they're sending it off to another lab???? I'd assume they'd test for everything but I honestly have no clue how that stuff goes. Someone else can help answer that for u hopefully. I just wanted to answer the part I kinda know.

Good luck, I really hope that everything works out for u.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've seen this sentence written by many here "they test for everything." Everything is a pretty big word - like always or never. There is just simply no way a lab can test for "everything" there are thousands of drugs in the USA alone and hundreds of controlled substances. There is no way "everything" can be tested. Either they do or they don't. There is no way to know. Even a "standard" 5 or 10 or 12 panel test checks for different things from one test to another. They don't all test the same 5 or 10 drugs. They have to specifically test for bup. More and more people do. But they certainly don't all test for it. And no one, absolutely no one tests for EVERYTHING!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:13 am 

When I say they "test for everything" I'm referring to all opiates plus buprenorphine, benzodiazepines, amphetamines...the standard "everything" that us addicts mainly buy off the street and abuse. I'm certainly not meaning every single drug in the world lol I just assumed that's what ppl would know I meant. When I see others on this forum say "everything" that's what I assume they're talking about. I know there's certain tests that only check the "norm", there's others that are way more detailed in what they test for...that's my definition when I say everything. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all or anything lol just trying to explain why I say (and understand when others say) they test for everything.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well if it gives you some comfort I've been in the refinery industry for 4 years all of which I have been on suboxone and taken countless hair and urine tests some dot some not. Never once have I had any possitive results. Most 10 panels even 12 do not test for it. From all the research I've gathered. The 11 panels I want to think that methadone might be the 11th test.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's exactly my point Jenn. I certainly don't think you're a know it all because you're still not getting it. A drug test that checks is for heroin may well not show positive for oxycodone. That's what I'm trying to say. Never mind about every non-controlled substance, many opioid/opiate drugs need specific testing. Propoxyphene - Darvon/Darvocet needs a specific test. Tramadol needs a specific test. Methadone needs a specific test. There are others. Benzos are a bit less specific but it really would take a 30 or 40 panel test to simply test "everything" possible in the three categories you state.

I'm not trying to be mean to you - not at all. But you are helping me prove my point that many people don't understand just why "everything" regardless of how you define that, can be tested for. Even limiting to opiate/opioids, benzos and anphetemens, everything really can't be tested for. So in the end, it really is a crap shoot if the drug you've take is tested for - bup included.

Did that make more sense?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:50 pm 

My doctor's office just started using a 14 panel urine cup that also measures the temp of the urine. I asked for a detailed explanation of what was looked for. The panel had different strips for heroin, buprenorphine, oxycodone (I believe) and whatever metabolite that comes from taking Nucynta, another synthetic opioid. Plus it tested for methadone, xanax, codeine, and a couple of others. Mine came back positive for buprenorphine, xanax, and Nucynta, all of which I'm prescribed by my doctor. I don't know if a 10 panel would necessarily include buprenorphine or not. I hope that you get the job!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:02 am 

"I'd assume they'd test for everything, but I have no clue how that stuff goes" ....me (jennjenn)

I didn't answer Tooley's question about what or how drug tests work with no negative intent or even pretending I knew how drug tests are done, I've said over and over on this forum how I have no clue about it.....I even tell ppl that someone with more knowledge, like u obviously, will come along who can better help. My clinic has a lab that I do my drug screens in about twice a month, I don't even have a clue what they test for because I've never had to worry about it and that's just being honest. Drug screens are something I'm just not educated on and I'm definitely not afraid to admit that to anyone. Again, when I said they test for everything, I meant all drugs that a person would be tested for...following with the statement about me not having a clue lol. I'm not gonna take over this thread any longer, thank you for letting me know I don't know what I'm talking about concerning drug screens, I thought I'd covered that by saying I didn't have a clue.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:31 pm 

Jenn, don't walk away from the thread. Donh has the tendency to be a little bit abrasive, but I know that he wasn't trying to make you feel bad.

I didn't know a thing about UAs either, until this past month they explained the pee cup to me.

Everything you post, Jenn, is helpful and supportive, so don't let this particular thread get you down. You do great work here and we very much appreciate you!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh for crying out... I'm really not trying To make you feel bad. I thought I said that. I'm really only trying to educate here. You are not alone Jenn, there are many many people who don't understand the whole drug testing thing. That too is what I said at the start - that I've read the "Test for everything" comment many, many times. It would sort of be commonsensical that all opiates/opioids would show on a drug test but as Amy just confirmed, that's justnot the case. Don't be so defensive. The number and amount of things I don't know can fill a book. That's how we learn. Nothing to feel bad or Get upset about.

My cup tests have had temperature included since I started in 2009. You have to hit The range to be positive. If too warm or too cold it won't turn positive and will indicate deception. Some even check for other attempts At adulteration like too much water, bleach and others. It's a good way to better confirm that The urine really came from the patient Without having to witness it. Drug testing is a booming industry. Want a good stock tip? Invest in drug testing companies. Or better yet, start your own!

Heck, Amy just complimented, er um I mean chastised me and I'll be back. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jenn, you are an awesome chick and I think you were very kind in all your responses. After all, the bigger picture is you were trying to support people while sharing some thoughts and even having a laugh at yourself. See when you say "everything", my mind doesn't think of an all encompassing literal, every single drug there ever was.
I get you.
Stay amazing.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:02 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Jenn- Ditto ditto ditto on everything Katipo said!! You were one of the first people I read posts from on here when I joined. I read a lot of your old ones. I always read when I see you have posted something or responded so please keep posting!! I know I need you ! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:05 pm 

Thanks guys! U are all amazing :)

I just didn't want to keep taking up the thread in case Tooly was like......geez this chick can't quit explaining why she is clueless about drug screens lol.

I do think I get defensive sometimes. Maybe that's because of my past or something. During my active addiction days, I was accused of so much (stuff that I did and didn't do) that I'm paranoid a little bit thinking i have to over explain something. Do u know to this day it makes me feel uncomfortable for someone to leave money out around me. I'm afraid it'll get gone or miscounted and I'll be the first suspect because of my past. Do any of u guys do that? Heck I don't go to the bathroom at my grandmother's house because I know she's has pain medicine in her medicine cabinet and I'm afraid she's going to think that's why I'm going in there....lol I'm way too paranoid. It's been 4 yrs and I still can't get past feeling like that. I just did so many bad things and don't want ppl to think I'd ever do that again. So yeah I'm probably overly defensive and paranoid. I guess I need to bring this up with my counselor, because until this moment I didn't realize how deep that's effected me.

Anyway everyone, have a wonderful day! U guys make my day better all the time :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:51 pm 

Jenn, thank you for sharing that insight with us. Your defensiveness is understandable!

You probably are one of the many who feel that way. When we share an insight into our addict behavior like that it helps all of us. That is one of the reasons I chose you to ask if you would moderate when we were down to just Rule and me. I've always thought that your instincts are very good with what you share and how you respond. You seem to naturally know about sharing helpful thoughts and experiences. Kudos to you, and thank you for doing this rather thankless job.

And thank you to katipo and willow for giving such a nice boost to Jenn. You both have great instincts as well for saying very helpful things. :)

Amy