It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all,

I have been taking suboxone without a valid script for nearly a year. I would love to get in a program but I am weary about having a record of being dependant on such a medicine. Some people don't understand the mess that people can find themselves in when it comes to addiction and will dismiss your value really quickly. With that in mind, I want to apply for a management position within a local construction contracting company. On their website they highlight their dedication to safety. I've got a real chance of getting the position and it will totally change my life if I get it. I intend on quitting the suboxone if I get the job but I have a potential interview in less than a week. I know that I can't pass a drug test if they indeed test for bup. But what are the odds they will be looking for it? I don't have the cojones to call them up and ask straight out. Do you guys have any ideas on how I should go about this? If I'm taking 8mg strips just about everyday how long will it take me to pass a UA? I've read that it takes a week all the way up to a month depending on which way the wind is blowing. I really need this job and I think it would be very helpful to my recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any answer that you get will be just playing the odds... I can tell you that in my 100 patients, I have had many times when people were worried about drug tests. In all those tests, I've never had a patient come back and need me to verify that they were prescribed a buprenorphine product. Either they were not testing specifically for buprenorphine, or they opted to take the employees word for the fact that they were prescribed the medication. BUT-- most of my patients are in blue-collar trades, not in management-- so I don't know if the drug testing policies are the same. I don't think that most companies have tested for buprenorphine, historically... but that may have changed, with all the articles out there about abuse. Numbers-wise, buprenorphine 'abuse' is a very small issue compared to use of opioid agonists... and from what I see, most of the 'abuse' consists of people doing what you have been doing.

Good luck-- let us know how things go. You are correct that it takes a long, and variable, time for buprenorphine to be cleared. A couple weeks should be enough, but you will feel pretty lousy during that time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

A bit off-topic the original posters' question, but I'm curious as I am currently looking for a new position myself. For a positive reading, do drug tests have to test for buprenorphine, specifically? Or does it come up as an opiate? Due to my line of work (professional office settings), I generally do not have to worry about drug testing, but it could happen.

I am prescribed Suboxone, but to be honest I'd rather keep this private and not have to explain to an employer why I am on this medication, as it's extremely personal for me. I assume many others would feel the same.

Any information would be great!

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Crystal,

From what I understand a regular UA will not show buprenorphine. If you have only bupe in your system then you will not show positive for opiates on a regular 5 panel UA.

HTH,

Q

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well it turns out that this job isn't only just in management but it is for a highly safety oriented construction site. So much so that I was reprimanded for walking with my hands in my pockets during a tour of the construction site. On top of the already high safety standards, it's a government contract on a military base and will end up being a unionized job. So there's so many different safety standards in place it's impossible to get a straight answer without asking directly about the specific medicine we're talking about. I'm "only" taking a 8mg strip every other day on average so I'm just going to have to go cold turkey and see how things go. I'm also scared because I know that due to random drug testing while at work I'm really going to have to trust myself to stay sober. Suboxone was great at removing the temptation to deviate in to harmful habits. However, the kind of money I'm hopefully going to be making will be more than enough motivation to quit. It's like if someone came up to a user and said I'll pay you $50K to quit your medicine, the vast majority would say "DONE!" and throw it down..That's not saying it will be easy though. I am NOT looking forward to it.

I'm expecting to go about 4-5 days before I start feeling ill. Then 2-3 days of feeling horrible. Then two weeks of bad sleep and general malaise and nausea. Hopefully, they won't call me up for at least a month so I can come in at at least 90%. In the meantime I'll be starting my piddly job at K-Mart just as full blown W/D begins. :oops: Perhaps I'll make a blog about it on this board somewhere and use it for self-motivation and for others to read.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This is what I would do. I would not advise telling them you are taking Suboxone. I also would not advise starting a new job going through withdraw. This sounds like a great gig. I would not risk performance due to being in withdraw. Like stated above. As far as I know most drug screens do not
Include testing for Suboxone. It's a catch 22. Your odds are better. Just carry on.

If for some reason it is an issue. Then I would share the fact that it is prescribed by a doctor legally and continue on with the legal aspects. The why is not their concern. As long as you can prove to be an asset. Again I would advise not starting this in withdraw. See how it plays out and go from there.

Admend: I see your taking without a RX. Still In that case, I would try to not worry about a positive drug screen. Stay the course. It is sad to say but true. The less they know the better.

I miss read without = with.

Good luck.

Snake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've got a solid month before I start my big job. I've got to start this little job to get me the money to make the move for the big job. I've got no choice.

Also, if I take this test and fail it due to having suboxone in my system I can never again apply for a security clearance. If I get in an accident while on the job of ANY sort I'm tested. There's no logical reason to risk it. Its do or die for me - I quit yesterday. Wish me luck because I'm diving head first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That's fair enough. With that said. Something to think about.

If you're taking it without a prescription and you get tested and is not included
In the test which is likely then you're good to go. If for some reason you do get in an
Accident you're likely to encounter the same test and pass what do you have to loose?

Going off the medication and having sub optimal performance due to the strain of withdrawal
Is something to think about as well. It will happen. The insomnia is brutal and will effect you.
I would remain stable. I would keep my head straight land the job first then get off the medication
At the very least.

Those are the lesser of the two evils especially since you're not obtaining it with a valid prescription.

I have maintained hazmat endorsement and have never had a problem obtaining my medical card
Every 2 years to maintain a CDL license. Which involves a physical and a urine drug screen for the DOT.

Hazmat includes FBI, Home Land security, and the TSB, doing an extensive background check. Which I obtained on Suboxone.

I can't tell you what to do. I do wish you luck!

Snake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would love to stay on it and at the very least wean myself off of it. I was told I would be called to the site in either a month or up to three months from last week. So I've got to at least try to be clean by the end of next month. If the test is merely a DOT style test I've got nothing to worry about like you said. But with the chance of it being something that tests for drugs of abuse including methadone and (sometimes) buprenorphine I can't take the chance. I wish there was a way for me to find out exactly what sorta of testing I'll be subjected to but I don't want to draw attention to myself. I've been through a withdrawal period before and suffered through it. The anxiety lasted a long time after most of my initial physical symptoms went away. Perhaps I can get a prescription for that prior to starting my big job.

I wish I could tell you exactly what job I'll be working on because you may be able to see my urgency in getting 100% clean even if it means losing a bit of performance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey WW,

You don't have to defend your choices to us! You should trust your gut on this one. Give it a shot, worst case scenario if you get a few weeks detox time in and see you aren't going to make it you can go back on it. At least then you won't have to wonder "what if". You do have a lot to motivate you towards staying sober, but don't rely on that alone. I would highly recommend you get started in some NA meetings. Having that face to face accountability is a must.

I wish you luck!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Why would a company test for a buprenorphine in the first place? Why would they care? This is not a medication that can be abused, nor one that can affect your job performance, unless you are combining other substances along with it. I'm confused and kind of sad reading all of this. The perception and stigma of this medication is so way off the mark. It should be none of the employers business, for one thing, just as if you were taking medication for diabetes, etc.

I know I mentioned I would prefer to not disclose that I am on Suboxone to an employer, but if I had to I would absolutely admit to it...and if they judged me negatively for it I would have a very hard time justifying staying with the company.

It's so sad that this individual has to take such drastic measures to come off buprenorphine to ensure he keeps his job. It should not be like this. :(

Praying things change sooner rather than later.
Best of luck... Xo

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't get on the program legit for two big reasons:

1.) This form of treatment is expensive. I have insurance so in theory I could have got some of my medication paid for. However, with electronic medical records being so easy to transfer to a database to be used by my future doctors I don't want to be labeled 'risky'. I've read many stories on other forums about doctors and nurses treating patients labeled this way like second class citizens because they had a problem with addiction. I agree the stigma is sad. Afterall, if I was truly a second class citizen I wouldn't be seeking suboxone I would be stocking up on the "good stuff" lol. In any case, I've also considered joining the military and having a bona fide record of addiction is an automatic disqualification (along with a LONG list of over things). In general this isn't something I want to wear for the rest of my life. If I can get away from it perhaps I can beat it without anyone being the wiser.

2.) I understand that the real difference between methadone and suboxone is that one is a full agonist and the other is a partial agonist respectively. They both have abuse potential but methadone is older and has the higher potential for misuse by both addicts and the opiate naive alike. I'm assuming that's why methadone is commonly tested for while buprenorphine is not. While taking suboxone I am still a bit "under the influence", and this is after taking it long enough to be totally stabilized and I don't ever get a buzz from it anymore. This job will test me like no other one has as far as attention to detail and focus. I don't need this medicine interfering...If I come to the conclusion that I'm not joining the military, that I don't care if doctors/insurance company know I was taking suboxone due to addiction problems and that I can perform at 110% of my capability THEN I will hop back on the wagon and take my medicine. I wish this was just over the counter or not controlled that would make things so much better. :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WW

I understand why you want off. What you are saying is so true. I am in the medical field & because of that i debated for at least a year going on suboxone. Those Electronic pharmacy & medical records are a very bad idea IMO. I am older and plan on staying where i am (employment wise) but if i were younger i would be in situation not unlike yours.

One of my son's joined the military and they went over every part of his life and his medical issues. He had a simple surgery when he was 15 months old and they wanted the records! He had no problems and was accepted.

My other son is on suboxone (and it saved his life) and got his CDL. He recently took a test for a different class CDL and passed. No problems with being on suboxone.

Do what you need to do for yourself and we will support you the best we can. Q is right, there is no need for you to defend your choice. I do think everyone who posted has your best interest at heart.

Hang in there!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I do know that methadone was not included in most urine screens for that I have takin.
They both do the job. The benefit of methadone is that is/was ALOT more affordable.
It is cheap. I also know that a CDL is not obtainable on methadone. Methadone is the only prescribed medication that is not allowed.

Ultimately I can't tell you what to do. I can however try to give advice. That's all I meant by that.
My intentions are good and we do have your best interest in mind. Most people do not become impaired
By Suboxone. I or we feel normal. I have been in this situation and this is why I chimed in.

I know myself. I could not maintain the focus and logic to keep my responsibilities at a job. In withdrawal your reasoning goes out the window. If you had this job for awhile and you knew exactly
What you had to do as far as work, knew your coworkers, bosses etc, then that is one half of the equation accounted for. Being new, I was just advising not to go in to this situation in withdrawal.

First impressions as you know are important. And the stresses of starting a new job are bad enough let alone being in withdrawal not feeling yourself. Also I would like to add that even if you are taking a substance and test positive all they do is ask to confirm a valid Rx. Which may include taking a picture of your bottle and emailing it, or you may have to contact your pharmacist and have him or her fax over the confirmation. They never asked why. They just wanted confirmation it is legal.

That's not to say some companies may not impose and they do believe me, their own regulations on what is not allowed.

So in a nutshell. The odds are in your favor that Suboxone will not be included in the pre employment drug screen. I hear it expensive to test for. Asking them would be career sucide. Methadone and Suboxone have to be sought out. Suboxone will not show up under the standard opiate/opioid test.

Quick tip. We hear of opiate and opioid. What's the diffrence. An opiate is derived from the poppy plant. A opioid is a synthetic man made substance.

Ie: Herion, Morphine and Oxymorphone = opiate. Fentanyl = opioid.

Again WW I wish you luck!

Snake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Snake,

I think the main point you are missing in this thread is that the OP does NOT have a valid prescription for Suboxone. If it were to pop up on a drug screen, which isn't entirely impossible in the situation he is describing, he would definitely lose his job.

Q

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello qhorsegal2

You're right at first I read the post as he was taking Suboxone with a Rx.

The point I was trying to make is, even though he doesn't have a prescription the chances are
Low that the Suboxone will be included in the test. Not impossible but not likely.

Even if it is included he doesn't have a prescription so that would be termination.
If he's in withdrawal he might risk losing the job. It is a possibility. I was weighing the two options.

Snake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 pm 

I am bringing up this old thread because I've had a question of my own that finding the answer to took a bit of time.

There is a job I may want driving a limo. It requires a DOT card with full disclosure. It took awhile but from what I found Buprenorphine does not disqualify you as long as it's prescribed. Methadone, no. Not fair I know. But I don't want to fork out the $35 for the DOT card and then be told no, the Suboxone is not allowed.

So if all goes right I may apply and see if it's something I like. That is kind of who I am. A driver. My work record is impeccable. Over 30 years of driving company trucks and delivery vehicles with no accidents or tickets. They call that being in the million mile club. Even in retirement I still drive quite a bit taking my neighbors to the airport once or twice a week and still have had no accidents.

I'll update this thread once I know more about the subject. If you already know what will happen with me, please post it. Enquiring minds want to know.

Rule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good info rule thanks for the post. I work in an oil refinery and a year or two back we had a guy in the tank farm" which is governed by DOT" fail drug tests for pain pills and adderall which he was prescribed but the company didn't like it, I talked with him a few times and he told me company doctors reccomended he get onto suboxone. He stayed on it for a few weeks but then failed another test for pain pills, and was let go. The point of the story is my company which is a large oil company allowed the use of suboxone to someone who operates at one of their plants. seems to support your information.