It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,

Someone I know has been on 8mg of subutex twice a day for over 6 months he recently dropped to 4mg. He is up for a job and has to take a pre-employment drug test and is wondering if he should leave off the subutex. His doctor has told him that it won't show up on a drug test. I've done some research for him and it depends on what test they give him. A google search shows some 10 and 12 panel tests that test for subutex.
He's supposed to go to a lab on or before the 15th and took his last dose on the 8th.
He doesn't know what to do. At first he was going to list it, since it prescribed for him but now is worried how much information the lab gives to the potential employer. If it is just "pass" or "fail" then he would list it but if it is more detailed that could be a problem. The only other route is not to list it and hope for a panel that doesn't test for it. He feels it won't be totally out of his system in 6 or 7 days.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went through this exact same thing after I got on sub. I called everywhere and talked to just about everyone. The bottom line was this. Although sub tests do exist, most employers do NOT pay for those and I have never heard of one who does. They would also have to have a pretty good reason for testing for it and most employers wouldn't WANT to test for it because it would reveal a medical condition (unlike most of the others) and if they didn't hire you after that they could be sued. Even the Dept. of Transportation doesn't test for it. So he ought to be fine. I was fine. I got the job. I still have that job 3 years later. It is a post hire, pre-employment screening anyways. They would have to disclose to him WHY they weren't hiring him if they decided not to. They will not want to tell him it was because of the sub. Let's say they did......he can sue the crap out of them for discrimination and then he won't need a job. :-)

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I honestly doubt they will test for it but you can never be sure. I get randoms all the time and once a year I have to take a drug test that is mailed off to a lab. The company is called M.O.S.T. They work closely with OSHA. I never have had to list my medication on the form. If they find anything they call me so I can give the script, doctors name and number, and pharmacy where I get it from so they can verify. I checked their website just to see what they test for. They seem to test for almost everything. I just took my test a few months ago and it came back negative.
Also at my last job outing I took my pre-job test. They used about 5 different test strips. It ended being something like a 15 panel test. Suboxone was not one of them. I have heard they have to test for suboxone separately and it is a very expensive test. And being that suboxone is not widely abused I can't see a company wasting money on that separate test especially considering a good quality drug test is probably pretty expensive. I also get randoms during each job outing and never once has suboxone been tested for.
Not saying that they will not test for it for sure, but chances are slim. I just wanted to give my personal experience with employment drug tests. I probably get tested a least 10 to 15 times a year and I never had one test for sub.
But since the script was valid, you should be able to list it without and repercussion. I can understand the concerns though. Some people do tend to label us even though we are bettering our lives and not walking around high as a kite any longer.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The info he puts on that papper can't be givin to the employer HIPPA

Post subject: No worries
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am in management for a company that uses a very expensive drug test that tests for 14 different drugs. Yet of all those drugs, Bup is not one of them. From what I understand, a bup test is not currently included in any of the standard lab tests, although that may change down the road. For now though, your friend is Ok.