It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:38 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi, I have been on suboxone/subutex for a little over 7 months now. YAY- I feel great not being hooked on Hydro anymore :) My question/problem is I am worried about a pre-employment drug test I have coming up in a short while. I don't know whether to tell them that I am on a prescription for subutex or not? It's sort of like, if you tell me you are on methadone, I would say you most-likely have a heroin problem. Isn't the same true for suboxone/subutex? If I tell them that is what I am on aren't they going to figure out it is because I am recovering from an opiate addiction?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Timstspry,
Typically suboxone/subutex (buprenorphine) is not screened for on pre-employment drug screens. Buprenorphine is not a "true" opiate so it should not show up as such on a drug screen. However, if the particular test does screen for buprenorphine, then you will test positive. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are being prescribed this medication legally from your physician.
When you take a drug test, normally you go to an independent lab who will collect your sample. After they test the sample, they will contact you if anything shows up to ask you if you have a prescription for it. If you do then they would ask you to verify your prescription with the lab (via your doctor or pharmacy). If you have a valid prescription, then the lab should report your drug screen to your employer as clean.
Many people are on prescribed medications for legitimate reasons and many of these will show up on a drug screen if they are subjected to such. Your employer does not need to know what medications you are taking as long you are taking them legally and are under the care of a physician. So if you have a prescription for anything you test positive for, you'll be fine. The medications you take are your personal business and most jobs don't require that you disclose your personal health information to them or the medications you are prescribed. That's why is usually a third party lab that does the testing. And like i said, your test will be reported as "clean" as long as you have a prescription that can be verified. And many times buprenorphine isn't even tested for in these tests. And although buprenorphine is used widely by recovering addicts, it is also prescribed for pain in some cases, so just because someone takes suboxone doesn't necessarily mean they are a recovering addict.
So i would say there's no need to divulge anything to your employer about the meds you take as long as you know you'll be going to a lab for drug testing and you have a valid prescription. Just be prepared to verify your script afterward in case they do test for bupe. I hope this helps and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:55 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks Jen! Yes, that answered my question completely and put my mind at ease. Thank you very much!